Input Needed for HD Captured PRIME Episodes

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Darkprime, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know I'm late to the party this year recording prime episodes, but I hope to catch up this weekend. Since PRIME is offered in HD, I wanted to capture the best quality videos possible to share with the fans (higher quality than what we find on youtube at the moment and the mpegs floating around).

I've been having issues trying to capture the video from my FIOS box in HD on my computer, mostly because my trial to BeyondTV expired (it's $100 software) and my HD Tuner card cannot accept component or HDMI video. BUMMER. Instead, I've been trying to work with my Slingbox Pro-HD. That shows great HD video on my desktop, but it can't save the video. I've been working with a bunch of screen capture and virtual webcams for a week now and nothing could do a decent job - either the resolution would be tiny, the video choppy, or the colors terrible. This morning I finally found software that will work - WM CAPTURE 4.0 for $40. I'll be buying this when I get home from my current work trip on Friday evening and putting together high quality HD encodes this Saturday.

My questions to everyone are:

What are your preferred resolutions? I'm thinking 1280x720.
    What are your preferred video codecs? I'm thinking about trying x264, otherwise xvid. I get the impression that xvid is losing favor these days to x264.
    What are your preferred audio codecs? I'm thinking ACM or LAME MP3.

Are there any preferences on framerate or filters to use/not to use?

With animated, I started to put watermarks on my videos because someone was taking my videos and putting them on youtube without asking permission. Are there any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I'm a complete dumbass when it comes to video stuff, so i'll only comment on the only thing I actualy about.

I would like it if you kept the watermarks away y'know, I recall wanting t otake screencrabs in some scenes back in the Animated days but the funny Optimus head was there :[

I mean I know you wanna prtoect your rips and stuff but yeah, I won't complain if you add it but I'd prefer no watermark

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    xvid may lose favor for Apple nerds, but I'll tell you one thing, xvid plays raw to your PS3 and 360 without the need for conversion or the use of a media app, and when it comes to watching these episodes on your TV (not your computer), nothing has worked smoother than Divx/Xvid or Mp4. I just plug in a USB and bam. This format also works in newer TVs with USB slots. I honestly don't understand the H264 obsessiveness. Anytime I edit a video with it, on my Mac, in Final Cut Pro, it chokes the system. Apple Pro Res works better, but everyone loves the H264. It seems more of an output format, rather than an editing format.

Anyway, if you're comfortable with xvid, then I'm sure most people here would be happy with that, because most of us will be watching these on our systems or TVs and xvid plays nice with both systems, and most Bluray players and DVD players now support Xvid (so you can burn a DVD with these files and play them on almost any new media device)

As for the watermarks. It's fair, since DP busts his ass over these, but maybe putting them for a few seconds at the beginning and towards the end and middle?
    Also, welcome back DP. You're reputation preceded you, lol ;) 

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  4. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like what you did for Animated Season 3, I'm glad I got them when I did now more than ever as it looks like we'll NEVER see this come to DVD any time soon or at all.

If we could get them at a higher resolution that would be pretty sweet, but beggers can't be choosers. If they look as good as Animated season 3, I'll be a happy posters :D 

5. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    mkv or MP4 please

Personally the bigger the filesize the better :D 

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MKV is not bad either. Does the 360 play MKV? I know they both do MP4. The iphone has a VLC player, which is nice for these, but I want to play them on my PS3 or Box

7. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    MP4 is the only choice for the consoles, mkv doesn't work on them.

8. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    MP4 or avi, would be a major preference for me. Can pop them directly onto my PS3. Also, 1280x720. Have no problems with watermarking, so long as it's not intrusive.

9. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    If you're going to do this, I'm not in the position to demand. You helped us out bigtime during Animated, and the current torrents for Prime have somewhat bad video quality..and huge watermarking. Anything that's better than that is highly appreciated!

10. Chevluh

Chevluh Well-Known Member

The watermarks should be discreet, if present at all. Maybe put it over the hub logo or something

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally I'd like Avi! Good enough without bein exaggerated.

12. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Avi is a container for a video, like divx and xvid.

I will look into moving the watermark over the hub logo. Like I said, look for these come Friday night or Saturday morning.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No rush dude. Thanks for your work over the last billion years :) 

14. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Another vote for MP4 (for cross-platform versatility).

15. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Thank you so much for doing this for us again, Dark Prime.

- 720p sounds great.

- I've no preferences on the codecs or filters. Whichever you are most comfy with.

- I'm fine with the watermarks.

- No preferences on the video format either.

16. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have VLC media player so any format works for me. Thanks again!

17. Yurre

Yurre I want space nachos XD

No rush at all mah man, we appreciate your effort!

I'm cool with mp4 or avi, x264 or xvid, 720p, lame mp3 96-192 kbps and watermark

Thanks a buch!

18. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

I prefer mkv but whatever you can produce I'd be happy with. 720p is my preference as well and I know your watermark is barely an issue. Thanks again for doing this =)

19. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    All I know is: I'm a sucker for 720p MKVs.

20. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd prefer MP4 as I use an Apple TV to watch files on TV. However, I also have iSquint and Handbreak so I can convert whatever the file format is.