Injured extra suing Paramount

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by DeathStorm, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    LOL Whatever, this movie is gonna make millions so it really doesn't matter how many people got hurt making it... right.... that's the logic... right?

2. Oracle_Aesir

Oracle_Aesir Outback is back

News Credits:
    Actually Bay doesn't go over budget in his movies, so where are you getting that from?

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I think he was making a terrible joke. Budget is about the only thing that Bay is incapable of blowing up.

4. PA_Kid

PA_Kid Well-Known Member

Man, so many of these knee-jerk reactions in both directions is incredibly disappointing.

We have a legal system and paramount has insurance for a reason.

This is going to end up settled and likely to the injured's guardian's complete satisfaction. No one at Paramount is going to throw money at something pre-lawsuit for fear of being taken advantage of - it's all got to go through the dance.

It was a horrible accident and (assuming it wasn't negligence) Paramount's insurance should cover it. Now that the family has formally stated what they feel is just, Paramount will counter-offer and the lawyers will negotiate some sort of settlement assuming everyone stays reasonable in their positions and doesn't lowball or highball things. No one at Paramount has ever said that it was her fault or that they wouldn't pay a dime - they've been quiet so that this can all run its course.

To automatically think that the family is money-grubbing or that Paramount is evil (just for this at least) is a little short sighted.

Oh, and for gods sakes, can people stop referencing the McDonalds hot coffee thing unless you've read all the info on the case? I thought it sounded absurd too, but when you read through all the facts you can see why she won (it was a very specific issue, not just "ouch, I spilled some hot coffee on me and have a little red spot or small blister).

5. knightmare6

knightmare6 Reflector In Disguise

Ebay:
    I'm thinking the $350,000 is the cash settlement, but there may be additional things listed, such as long-term care costs and such, but most people care to hear the cash settlement, but I believe there is more the family will be fighting for (and should).

6. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    We all knew she was probably going to sue for this. The fact of the matter is its an accident and long term care and loss of time cost a lot of money. This is what insurance is for and I'm sure Paramount and everyone wishes the best for this girl. The amount seems small so I'm sure that this, with all its media attention will get handled fairly.

7. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    Man this is sad news. I hope she comes from a good family that won't just keep the money for themselves.

8. Anguish

Anguish Active Member

You mean what seriously?

As for your first sentence, it doesn't matter what someone signs. You can't legally sign away your rights. That is to say, if the production company is negligent (as in, neglects to tape appropriate and reasonable precautions against injury to the extras), no signed contract saying "I cannot sue" has any value. Lo and behold, her guardian is suing for negligence.

Let me give you a different scenario. I do indoor rock climbing. We sign waivers indicating that we accept liability for the fact that what we're doing is dangerous. If I slip and fall while climbing, I cannot sue the facility. If on the other hand a rope (provided by the facility) breaks while I'm climbing, and it turns out that the rope was 13 months old when best-practices indicates replacement at 12 months is mandatory, then I could sue. Basically the facility has to be maintained appropriately for the waiver to have any value.

That will apply in this case. Just because a liability waiver is signed doesn't make it blanket applicable. If it can be demonstrated that the production company didn't take reasonable precaution, they're liable.

So again, you mean what seriously? That sentence fragment has me entirely baffled what you're trying to convey.

9. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    pretty sure people are made aware of dangers on set and are made to sign a legal document specifying so.

if not the person deserves to get whatever compensation they have coming for them.
    if so this person should have actually read and understood the material they where given before signing the paper

10. marshall dusty

marshall dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    drivers did not sign anything but w2's to get paid.

11. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
  12. marshall dusty

marshall dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    another update
    Report: Transformers 3 extra was at 'wrong place at wrong time' - Chicago Breaking News

13. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

not bad ???

she is permanently brain damaged and there will no doubt be long term medical bills 50,000 is getting off cheap if you ask me . her life will never be the same she should get at least enough to set her for life.

14. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

Like you really give a shit aobut her, and is not just searching for BAy-seeking missiles:rolleyes2 

If this was a straight-from-G1 movie, you would be an apologetic instead, I bet my life...

15. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

Probably.

16. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    If she is brain damadged to the point of were she no longer can work, or take care of herself then she should be compansated. If she despite the brain damadge still can work and function like a normal human, the sum of money should come down.

on another note to another poster, yes sueing in the US is ridicules. I read something in the paper about some young star that accidently ran tino another kid during laserdome...and guess what..he is now beeing sued.

17. DrLee

DrLee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if you're talking about the person i think you are... it's that Beiber.... and the claim (AFAIK) is that there was a scuffle at the least between them...

18. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    The only thing worse than being beaten up by Justin Bieber is having the whole world know you were beat up by Justin Bieber.

19. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I´m gonna be completlly honest, this whole situation reeks of hypocrisy here. We buy toys from factories in China, where workers suffer accidents, they don´t have the resourcces to fight for their rights, where´s the moral outrage at that? Where the boycotting of Transformers?

I´m not saying that this woman should not be compensated, but many if you guys here are being hypocrites.

20. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

Thankyou for pointing that out. About time someone did.