Influences of Bay's films

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Mako Crab, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's no denying that Michael Bay's TF movies have really propelled the franchise to heights not seen since the days of G1. And seeing as how they are so popular, I guess it was bound to happen that other TF stories were bound to start adopting movie elements into their own universe. This thread is more or less to discuss the pros and cons of those borrowed elements. What works and what's either unnecessary or unwanted. For starters:

IDW G1 comic- Bumblebee now transforms into an older model Camaro, just like BB did in TF '07. I get the in-story reasons for making him more formidable looking, but of all the cars in the world, they had to borrow the one from TF '07? I know Volkswagon won't let their vehicles be used as Transformers, so the new Beetle is out. But really, the exact same Camaro? Complete with black racing stripes just like the movie whereas BB in G1 has never had racing stripes. I'm still iffy on this one. I still haven't gotten used to his new look, and the fact that they're borrowing so heavily from '07 BB for his new look is uninspired too. And as of issue 12
    BB may have lost the ability to speak (maybe), making him even more like his movie counterpart.

TF: Prime- Bumblebee speaks in blips and beeps. Granted, BB in TF '07 spoke through the radio using clips from songs and movies to do the talking for him, but it was explained that he had to do that since his vocal processor was damaged. Same story for BB in Prime. I'll admit that using the radio to talk was pretty cool the first time around. I don't know as though Bumblebee being a mute is a character trait that I'd like to see them continue using though. If he kept using the radio, it could become a played out gimmick. If he beeps and blips like R2-D2, well... then he's R2-D2... or a Mini-Con.

IDW TF Ongoing- The art. Yeah, we all know about the art. Heavily inspired by the movies, though it does seem to have been dialed back in the most recent issues. Perhaps this is already a non-issue. I know there was a huge backlash against the movie-esque G1 faces, and now it seems everyone's being drawn with their old faces back, so that's good. Anything else though?

2. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    All of which you mentioned doesn't bother me much at all. Most of what I take exception to Bay-wise is his directorial style. The first movie was fun but ROTF kinda gave me a headache.

3. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    I love the movie aesthtics. Love it. Bumblebee communicating through the radio? LOVE it. So, any influences from the movies drawn into other continuities as far as aesthetics or "identifiers" is fine with me and dare I say, welcomed, as I am not a G1 fan, per se.

And being that I am not a G1 fan, my loyalty lies with Beast Wars. For this very reason is the only thing that can hurt the other continuities by the movies. "Character". The biggest beef people have with the movies are the lack of character or heart in the Transformers. Beast Wars, and G1, were littered with written art for these robots. They weren't so much robots to us as they were extensions of humanity. The movies missed the mark with this for the most part. Optimus's character appears to be inconsistent (noble and sympathetic, to billy-bad-ass head remover), Ratchet is under used, and the Twins are... well...yeah. But, I guess every continuity has their stain (see Wheelie). I would venture to say the Bumblebee, while limited to his radio, expresses some of the most characterization of the group simply based on the tracks he selects to play (church revival vs. forrest gump vs. john wayne, for example).

So, to sum up, no, other continuities cannot be hurt by the movies' influence, so long as they retain the characters that fans are really wanting to see.

(This is my opinion, and cannot officially speak for the whole fanbase)

4. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with this. Honestly, I think Bay would be a great cinematographer rather than director. He isn't focused enough on the story or characters to be what a good director needs to be.

I also agree the first film was a lot of fun and the second film kinda fell flat (though I blame that more on it being rushed through the writers strike.)

5. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The movie had a major impact on Animated, I'm betting the AllSpark was going to be called the Matrix, while it led to Red Alert and Hot Shot becoming Ratchet and Bumblebee. Megatron had a head similar to Movie Meg's in the pilot episode, and as shown in The AllSpark Almanac Vol. 2, Ironhide was going to earn a pick-up truck alternate mode and giant arm cannons in season four. Then there was Blackout's cameo. I'm not sure whether giving Optimus was a mouth was inspired by the movie or Beast Wars and Cybertron.

In Exodus, the idea of Optimus and Megatron being former allies is clearly inspired by the movies, as is the Fallen's name being Megatronus and inspiring the miner D-16 to become Megatron. The AllSpark, a Bumblebee with difficulty speaking, more than one set of Constructicons and Barricade and Blackout were also there. In WFC itself, I'm willing to bet Barricade, Brawl and Sideswipe wouldn't have been in the game if it weren't for the movies, and the Decepticons have that spiky look of the Bayformer Cons as well.

6. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its all down to product recognition in the end. Kids see the movie and want more, so you drop the same names or change things, like BB alt mode and voice. So kids can say thats the guy from the movie/Toy I got, I should watch this, or buy that comic.

7. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

I hated the first movie, I refused to watch the second, I dropped the IDW comic at ongoing issue 1 for a number of reasons but the movie-esque art was the nail in the coffin, and once Animated ended I all but left the hobby. Call me fickle (cos thats what I am) but for me the movieverse infecting every aspect of the Transformers mythology has been a very bad thing. I can handle it existing, even being popular but it miss the diversity we once enjoyed within the Transformers toys and fiction back when the lines between toylines and continuities were less blurred.

Edit: Oops didn't notice this had been movied to the movie forum, apologies for the movie negativity.

8. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL! I think it's okay. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. :) 

9. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well Micheal Bay has made more money and more success for our favourite franchise than anyone else. Because of him Hasbro has enough risk money to give us things like WFC Prime, Darkmount etc. Before the movie they never would have dared put money into those things.

so love him or hate him, you have to be grateful to him.

10. alex_kingdom

I disagree Hasbro/Takara were making homages, redesigns, reimagings, reissues of other/older continuity characters and designs long before the movies. E.g Armada Unicron, Energon Shockblast & Downshift, Alternators, Titanium, G1 & Beast Wars Reissues. As I mentioned above if anything diversity has shrunk not expended due to the movies.

11. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my point was a few years ago a video game exclusive character or and obscure UK comic character that wasn't known outside of comic book fans wouldn't have been considered.

Unicron was part of the Armada show, they even call it the Unicron Trilogy it would have crazy not to have made a Unicron toy.

The Energon characters, G1 and Beastwars were part of the mainstream tv show to sell the toys.

Getting a Straxus toy used to be a joke in within the community because no one ever thought we would get one.

12. alex_kingdom

Yes I'd agree that Straxus did come out of the left field but I wouldn't credit that to Bay or the movieverse. After all we did get War Within characters as part of Titanium, including the Fallen who outside of a little known comic book was unheard of untill the second movie reinvented him.

I'll give you War For Cybertron, I dont think such a high quality big budget video game and therefore the spin off figures would hanve been made were it not for the extra attention Transformers has recieved due to the movies. Im especially impressed that it's more G1 influenced than Movieverse, althuogh I belive it sits within the Transformers Prime continuity? Which is heavily influenced by the movies, meaning further continuity muddying/blending.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I kind of feel like the movie influence is really on the decline.

At one point it seemed like we were almost doomed to either the extremes of the movie designs or just a few scraps thrown out to the people who didn't like the movie look between films.

Now the movie style characters who aren't on screen characters are starting to get away from the movie things like backward knees, cloven feet, zombie gorilla arms, and the other features that make them seem odd next to older or more traditional looking Transformers. It's sort of like the push is going toward more human looking robots and away from the monster look.

Power Core looks closer to something like Classics figures than they do to movie designs.

Even Transformers Prime seems like it's taking more influences from places other than the movies. For example Starscream seems like he's far more cues from Animated than from the movies, or Ratchet just doesn't seem like movie Ratchet and he's even back in white again.

I'm also willing to go out on a limb to guess that the military will not be taking out Deceptions in Transformers Prime like they do in the movies.

I think some of the visual nods will stick around because it gives the designers yet another option when making new figures. But there just wasn't enough to the stories or characters in the movies for them to really stick in the long future of the Transformers brand.

14. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    As someone who is not a fan of the movieverse at all I will say this; I am grateful to the exposure that Transformers has had because of the movie however, things like WFC, DarkMount, Animated, Last Stand For the Wreckers and other gems are credited due to their quality not the movie. Given it’s a business and the movie brought in attention that I appreciate but, quality (for me anyway) comes from Hasbro/Takara Tommy, HighMoon, IDW, and (hopefully) The Hub studios, the movie just made Transformers a house hold name again, although that is a commendable effort and should not be ignored it does not mean that I have to thank the movie for everything from now on till forever. Just like I don’t expect the movie fans to thank G1 for everything:) .

And that was my biggest problem with the movie aesthetic, that monsters look, which is why I am totally fine with the way they look in Prime; humanoid. For me, a more humanoid asethetic is an acceptable change in Transformers.