Infinity Ward Is Dead

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by iwasherenotyou, Jun 7, 2010.

1. iwasherenotyou

iwasherenotyou Medical Officer

News Credits:
  2. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Well crap. There goes my hopes for a Modern Warfare 3...

3. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Activision's treatment of developers and IP's is one of the major reasons why I'll be skipping War For Cybertron, and anything else they plan on putting out as long as Kotick is in charge. This is not how the industry should work and I wish Respawn luck with their next big IP.

4. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

Dear Activision,

Just because you want to beat EA in the market does not mean you have to become EA.

Thanks,

The Fans.

5. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    You know they're doing it wrong when EA turns out to be the good guys in the long run.

6. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Well, looks like I won't be buying any more CoD games.

7. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, that puts me in a tough spot. I love CoD, but I also love IW. I hope they let the MW series RIP, since I doubt anyone else could match what IW did in those games.

8. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Really? If you really believe in it, cool, but that seems like it hurts High Moon a lot more than it hurts Activision.

9. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    Like I said, one of the major reasons. High Moon had plenty of other chances to wow me and help me forget that they work for Activision and they failed to do that, but this isn't a WfC thread.

All that being said, I'm still glad I didn't buy MW2 in the long run. Originally I was waiting for a sale, but the fact that so many of the staff STILL haven't been paid their dues for the blood, sweat and tears they poured into the project illustrates my point. And for all I know Activision will treat High Moon the same way.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Well, that's a shame. However, I've played CoD4 and CoD MW2, and I think there is a fine layer of un-needed melodrama over all this.

But yes, it is kind of sad that the experienced higher up staff members are gone, especially when they've given such a good run of games.

11. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Okay, even though IM closed, it doesn't mean Activision won't pass on the next MW to another developer. Would it be right? No. Will it happen? Probably.

12. MisterE

MisterE What?

It was just a matter of time, really. As soon as the key members started jumping ship it was inevitable in my mind.

No doubt Activision will crank another MW game out, though. As long as it has the Modern Warfare branding, it will sell. As sad as it is, the average Joe/kid/mother out there doesn't know or care that the group that made the games what they are is, for all intents and purposes, dead.

That's pretty much what Activision are trying to act on; brand association. Like the article said, it's appearing evident that they're pandering to the shareholders rather than the end user.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Wait, this isn't even news, just an unrelated 3rd party declaring the studio is "dead"?

:lol 

If Braben wants to be relevant again, this is not how one goes about it. Leave the fuckers alone, not like they haven't had more than enough unwanted attention this year. Crumbs.

14. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

Well, more work for Treyarch I guess.

15. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    FACEPALM.JPG

You mean it wasn't dead when the founders and 75% of the staff left the studio? What just someone only now declaring the studio "dead" change anything? Nothing has changed in the past few months.

16. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    omg really. i never really liked the cod games but i always known that they done there job s great and they have tons of money. well r.i.p i.w. and r.i.p cod because it just gonna die slowly now.

17. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Stay frosty IW.

Here's hoping DICE recruits some of them.

18. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

A lot of them have moved over to Respawn Studios that was started by the two guys whom had started IW.

I skimmed the article but it looked like they just pulled a bunch of quotes that are months old at this time.

Is IW dead? Not really. Has it been gutted? Certainly but they can soldier on if Act gets the right people on it.

While I feel bad for the grunts doing the hard work at IW, I can't say the same about the company. IW was always insanley arrogant to me. They refused to look at the innovations other devs had put into CoD games, the whole Fight Against Grenade Spam was just offensive, and I really didn't need more drug references on Xbox Live to name my biggest gripes.

Edit: Really, Gamerant? That site looks like all of the other horrible high school "game journalists" that have been littering the internets as of late. Edit 2: Electric Boogaloo - they all seem to be coming from Canada too.

19. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    None of us on the "outside" really know what happened. It's all speculation and small supporting evidence. Granted, Activision's track record isn't flawless, but somehow I doubt Infinity Ward is completely blameless. Hell, all the smack-talk they did on Activision was enough to get any team canned way before they did. I'm not siding with anyone, but as with most disputes, the truth more than likely lies somewhere in the middle.

20. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Respawn FTW!