Infamous 2 - Lightning is a dish best served cold

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Ziero, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Surprised there isn't already a thread about this game, it's already well underway and we've gotten plenty of info about it. But really, all you need to know is this:

YouTube - inFAMOUS 2 'New Gameplay Trailer' HQ

This is the latest gameplay trailer. I can honestly say it's looking like Sucker Punch is swiping some tricks from Naughty Dog with this one because at some parts I coulda sworn I was watching Uncharted 2 gameplay. That is until Cole summons up a tornado of lightning to damn near wreck up everything. For an open world, sandbox action game it's looking really hot.

And just for the heck of it, the E3 preview trailer:

YouTube - Infamous 2 Trailer - E3 2010 (First Footage)

2. bariprime

bariprime Elite Guard Commander

News Credits:
    It is on my buy list. But I'm still yet to finish the first one :D 

3. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    on my buy list too but cole right now is iffy with me. maybe change the pants to plain jeans
    and ill be okey with the new look.

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is definitely at the top of my most wanted PS3 games list. I personally don't mind the new Cole at all.

5. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Yay! Cole grew some hair!

Oh, and awesome trailer too. 2011 can't come fast enough!

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind the new look either, especially since it shows a progression in his character in comparison to what was the hell in the first game. Things were a bit more muddled for him then.

Shit, that gameplay footage looked insane. I love how instinctively my Cole "instincts" kicked in when the limo started driving away and I saw the powerlines... "Powerlines, take the powerlines."

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  7. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i never quite finished my evil play of the first. i should do that....

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me neither, and that's because I was having more fun being destructive.

9. smangerbot

hella yes. the evil powers almost made it a different game compared to being 'good'. i think im on the last mission too, just need to finish it for the trophy. :) 

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watching the video again, I'm still torn on Cole's look and sound.

On one hand, I see the progression of the character from Anti-hero, to a Superman DC cleanliness (maybe after he realized that people loved him, he felt he had to clean up a little). On the other hand, "It's not Cole"

11. smangerbot

i thought the word is this guys just a a placeholder? in terms of character design at least, think they're settled on the voice.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Never thought placeholder. I just thought. Cole is a dirty bastard, and he's just become a hero and the "kids love him," so maybe he started to look like a hero, minus the tights. And he even had the cheesy comic book dialogue of "You won't get away this time" before he gave chase to the limo.

13. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I'd like to get a PS3 at some point to play this. I tried a demo of the first one at Walmart and it seemed like a lot of fun.

14. smangerbot

pretty sure i read the devs haven't finished his design, but they needed something for E3. i mean he looks a little... uncharted at the moment.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well then that's good news. I didn't hate him, but i didn't like him as much either.

The gameplay footage has me sold though. I loved the first game. Loved it, and the city was one of the best sandbox playground I played in.

16. smangerbot

same here, though after Red Dead all other sandboxes seem a little devoid of life :) 

but for reals, some of the chaos and destruction you could unleash was pretty fun. nothing like grinding on the rail tracks with your shield up lobbing grenades. good times.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely agree on the Red Dead. I was going to use that as an example as on of the best examples, but I thought the grime city setting of inFamous was too different to compare the 2. Red Dead is some of the best lands I've done explored. inFamous' town was one of the best dirty places I've played around with, definitely better than GTA 4's towns for me.

18. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

The Evil playthrough is sooooooooo much more fun if you leave some areas under gang control so there's always a flow of enemies and fights in each part of town. It also means you can skip out on the more annoying missions and not miss anything (Counter surveillance my ASS).

Depending on the path you took in the first game, Cole visibly changed between being more of a clean cut, white, shining hero or having a more down and dirty, white and black villainous look to him. I'm not sure which ending is canon (did they actually mention it somewhere?) but regardless of which one they choose to start off with, this is a completely different Cole. It's not so much "he cleaned up cause kids love him" but way more of a "lets clean him up so he's more marketable" move by Sucker Punch. Plus, the new city doesn't seem to like you much anyway, which is a great way to bring back the Karma system and give him more choices to either help the town that hates him or to kick their teeth in for giving him grief.

Trailers for this game came out long before E3, if they weren't done with his design they wouldn't have released them so early. This is what the new Cole will look and sound like. While he certainly does have a bit more "Nate" in him, I'm hoping he maintains a more "I don't care I'll kick your ass" type of personality he had in the first game. If he ends up more of a "Just my luck" type of guy, it would be way too close to Nathan Drake for my tastes. My favorite aspect of Cole was his "kick ass, take names later" personality. Whether you went Hero or Infamous, he made use of his powers to their fullest extent and wouldn't hesitate to stomp a mudhole in someone. If they take away that part of his personality, it will be a very big shame.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe him running into himself in infamous 1 caused a rift in time and space and what we're left with it Clark Cole.

20. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    ign said the same thing in there rewind. i paused it on the close up on his face and he still looks like cole. just has more hair. i thought they also done a full make over with everything. but they didnt. i also think he might not have ice powers i think the beast has the ice power with the fire