Indy 4 reviews rolling in

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by misterd, May 18, 2008.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

2. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

For me, this movie is critic proof. Critics disliked the last two Indy movies, they'll dislike this one too. I know I'm gonna love it and I can't wait until Wednesday night!

3. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Can a brave soul read the reviews first and tell us if they have any spoilers?

4. misterd

I recall differently. I know Temple of Doom got mixed reviews, and with Gremlins was one of those PG movies that forced the creation of the PG-13 rating. But I'm pretty sure Last Crusade* got pretty wide acclaim**, though few would stack it up against Raiders (and shouldn't). I think Ebert's review is pretty much the right way to see this film, low on baggage and expectations - just a desire to see more of the same.

*That was a pretty awesome summer for movies: Last Crusade, Batman, Lethal Weapon 2, The Abyss
    **FWIW, Rotten Tomatoes has from professional critics a 3/5 positive for ToD and 4/6 for LC, 87% and 90% from gen pop, while Raiders has 4/5 and 80%.

Heh, just for fun I went back and read Ebert's reviews of the first 3 films. Funny how something so classic was once shiny and new. He neglects to mention Raider's classic score, gives props to the Swordsman scene for the biggest laugh, and calls the truck chase the best he's ever seen (wonder if anything's replaced it?). He also takes time in his review to explain to the reader who George Lucas and Steven Speilberg are.

5. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    There aren't any real spoilers in the Ain't It Cool News Review, but honestly the reviewer just constantly compares Crystal Skull the last three constantly throughout his review. He really doesn't put any effort into reviewing the movie on its own (I.E., without so many damn comparisons), and makes a point of saying "Radiers is the Best!" as well. Actually both Reviewers do (but I kinda skimmed through Ebert's review after the first paragraph. I don't trust his or his "at the movies" pals opinions anyhow).

Of course, if you don't already know Shia LaBeouf's character's name, I wouldn't recommend reading. :lol  It's a riot (IMHO).

I'm not taking any of it to heart. I'm going to wait until May 22nd and watch the customer reviews roll in on Amazon.com. I did the same with Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, which recieved generally positive reviews, even if I already decided that I wanted to see it.

6. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Don't care about reviews for this one. It's a Indy film, not Shakespeare. He's a teacher who kicks ass. Can't ask for more.

7. misterd

Quint and Ebert's are safe. Harry's not so much, but I found the paragraphs with likely spoilers pretty easy identify and managed to skip them over to get the gist of the review without the details. Here's what you can do for Harry's review: Read up until the phrase "But it's loaded with classic bits". From there he will (I imagine) go on to spoil those bits for several paragraphs. If you skip down to "Ain't that the truth", you can read until the end and miss pretty much all the spoilers....

....unless you for some ungodly reason haven't figured out who Shia's playing in this film. In which case, don't read any reviews, and don't operate any heavy machinery. Ever. And maybe get yerself sterilized for the good of the species.

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I can't wait regardless of either good or bad reviews...being the sucker that I am for capitalism, what new features do the re-released dvds have? Are they worth getting if you have the original set?

9. misterd

I'd wait. The additions are minor and supposedly there will be BluRay releases soon, and I'm betting those will get double dipped at some point, too.

10. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    This is one of those movies I'm not even going to look on Rotten Tomatoes for. I want to go in as blind as possible.

11. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Fixed that for ya!

12. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Did not read the review, but I like Ebert's score. Out of all the critics, he is the only one I pay attention to. For me reading one of his reviews is like asks one of my friends for a solid, unbiased opinion.

13. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Cool!

I have been waiting for this movie for a long time and I am glad to see it getting some decent press...

14. SpeedBreaker

SpeedBreaker DESTRON NEW LEADER

On our local tv news they said the film at the premiere got a 3 and a half minute standing ovation.

15. misterd

The CHUD reviews came in late last night (I can't link to them at work), and they were pretty savage. The BEST review was, I think Devin's, which said this is on the level of Lost World - evidence that Speilberg can sleepwalk a better adventure than most (if this was a Mummy movie it would be the best of the franchise), but not near his best work. To me, that review specifically smacks of unrealistically high expectations not being met so I can easily discount it. The other reviews are more brutal calling it flat and fake looking.

The real problem here is that Indy has two basic traps:

Trap #1: After 19 years (a wait longer than the one for Phantom Menace), reputation and nostalgia have elevated the original films above their deserved positions, and many film goes will walk in with unrealistically high expectations no one can meet.

Trap #2: The flipside to #1. So many people have affection for this character, and so want to love this film, that their emotions may cloud their judgement, and make them overlook fundamental flaws (see Harry and Ebert's reviews of The Phantom Menace).

16. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    The reviews at AICN do not spoil the story, though do spoil some scenes and bits of the story, like revealing who Mutt really is, some classic one-liners, etc.

17. misterd

Again, how can anyone NOT know who Mutt is?

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey Hey Hey, how was I supposed to know That Sallah and the Monkey from Raiders produced an offspring.

Seriously, though, I don't know who he is, but I can venture an uneducated guess.

19. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    I guess I'm lucky that I haven't even seen all three movies in their entirety... and I couldn't tell you which scene goes with which movie :p 

I feel like I might like this movie more because of it.

20. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Couldn't agree more. I generally don't read critic reviews anyways because 9 times out of 10 we disagree.