Indulge me a little

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Autobot X, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

I'm only going to get a few of the Animated toys. I love the show but I'm kinda meh about some of the figures (Bumblebee, Voyager Prime, Bulkhead, Voyager Megs). I really want Prowl, but I'm also really anal about renaming figures so that no character has the same name. As I am planning to get Classics/Universe Prowl, I want to rename TFA Prowl. I'd like to give him a name that speaks to his character on the show; i.e., calm, collected, stealthy, and deadly. The problem is, the name that fits that best is...Prowl!

Yes, I know this is a really stupid question, and my wife makes fun of me for stuff like this all the time (she suggested I rename Cybertron Optimus Prime "My-husband's-a-dumbass Prime"...I settled on Arsenal Prime).

Anywho...what do you think? And no, I'm not naming him Snake Eyes!

EDIT: Also, should I wait for the sidecar/samurai armor upgrade version?

2. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    whats wrong with him being Prowl?? I mean come on Im not the only George C Renda in existance, why does a name have to be reserved for a single character only? if anything give them different last names

TFA: Prowl Kovacs
    TFC/U: Prowl Goldstien
    BW: Prowl Stern
    BM: Prowl Sneffer
    RiD: Prowl Perdony
    Armada: Prowl Byrne
    Energon: Prowl Ayres
    Cybertron: Prowl Savoca

3. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Hmmm...just leave his name Prowl. I mean Classics and Animated are 2 diffrent universes. His name is Prowl for a reason. The only time I rename a figure is when hasbro has a Licsening problem and names a character something close and I rename him his original name.

4. Autobot X

I don't like it. You wouldn't have two Optimus Primes, would you? A Transformer's name is indicative of who the character is (or should be, anyway...), much like Native American names. You simply can't have two warriors named "Strong Bear" or "Warrior Spirit Who Sings" in the same tribe. It would get awfully confusing.

I guess it helps if I mention that I like to blend all my toys together in a sort of ubercontinuity.

Prowl Smith, perhaps? Reminds me of Agent Smith...hmmm:peoples: 

5. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

6. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

But... there isn't a Cybertron Prowl. Is there?

7. Autobot X

See my above edit about the ubercontinuity.

And guys..ease up. I said it was a stupid question.

8. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Autobot X only has a single universe. He doesn't want two of the same character in his universe.

9. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, I don't have a name suggestion for you, but I'd be interested in hearing about your uber-universe. Do you have an explanation for the different aesthetics, or is that not a factor?

I'm in the process of building my personal version of the AEC universe, but I don't think I'll be able to work animated in to it.

10. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    For those that don't like two guys with the same name.

I'm curious,
    What if you had two friends with the same name?
    Would you rename one of them?

11. Autobot X

It's kind of hard to explain because I don't have a well-thought-out plan or idea in my head. I basically take my favorite parts of different universes and story lines, along with my favorite characters, and just sort of mash them together. For instance, my core characters are all G1 or G1-inspired but are represented by whatever current homage-type figures I have (e.g.: Energon Downshift is Wheeljack, Energon Bulkhead is Springer, Brakedown GTS is Kup, etc.). I also borrowed a page from "Dawn of Future's Past" and ascribed Beast Era characters to non-Beast Wars toys (Armada Hot Shot is Cheetor, Armada Blurr is the brooding, dour Silverbolt from Beast Machines, Clocker is Rattrap, and Cybertron Jetfire is Depth Charge). Aside from that, I just match great characters to whatever toy I from my collection that best suits them (Energon Strongarm is Brawn, Cyb Landfill is G1 Ironhide, Cyb Hot Shot is Nightbeat, Armada Tidal Wave is BW Rampage).

When I get TFA Ratchet, he'll retain his current crotchety persona, as will Lockdown and Blackarachnia (who is basically BW Blackarachnia anyway).

That's kind of the cool thing about Transformers...I can do what the crap I want to do, and it doesn't really matter.

Now that it's summer, I might put some more work into systematizing my uber-verse and making it more approachable for other people. Fanfic, perhaps? Depends on how much I can do without my wife getting aggravated.

12. Autobot X

Yes...I would.

"What's your name?"

"Dan."

"Mmm...already got a Dan..."

"What?"

"From now on, I will call you...ShitPiece!"

"What?!"

"Shut up, Shitpiece."

13. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Hmm, interesting uber-continuity thing. Never occurred to me. How 'bout these names:

Truncheon
    Handcuff
    Flatfoot
    Ponchbot

14. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think if you want to rename every bot you got to something else that's cool. Their yours, and if that helps you enjoy them more then I say more power to ya.

What about:
    Shadowstrike
    Ronin
    Onyx

Or here's a possibility, what if you found out the Japanese name for Prowl and called him by that name?:2c: 

15. nintendofreakgc

nintendofreakgc Bumblebee fan

I sympathise with your problem, as I too like to blend the vast majority of my TFs into one ubercontinuity, although I do allow for a few toys to have the same name to represent them at different times. For instance, my Classic Camaro Bumblebee and my Concept Camaro Bumblebee are both called Bumblebee; and my Protoform Starscream and Deep Space Starscream are both called Starscream.

At any rate, I haven't seen any of the Animated cartoon, and I don't have much familiarity with the toys, so I can't help you much with the specific problem. That said, here are a few generic ideas that you could make more specific:

1. Look outside Transformers. Do you know of a character in a completely different series who's like TFA Prowl? You could give the figure a name that's similar to that, but made more TF-esque.

2. Find a synonym for the Tf's name. So look up "prowl" in a thesaurus and see what you come up with.

3. Put their name into another language, and see if you find something that you like.

4. Use anagrams. It's not much use for Prowl, but for other characters it might prove useful.

Yeah, those are just some basic ideas. Good luck to you.

16. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Sadly, I think the wifey has a point. (I kid! I kid!)

Fortunately for you, you can see how OCD and nuts this sounds to the vast majority of humans. Also fortunately, you seem to have a long-suffering spouse who puts up with your eccentricities. (I share that fortune with you. I don't know how we found these women, but God bless them.)

But hey, if it makes you happy, I say go for it. Name him Shadowdancer, Nightstalker, Moonbeam, or friggin' Ronald McDonald if you want to! And who says you have to rename the Animated figure?? You could rename the Universe one, too. (Why is the name "Whitey" the first name I think of for that toy??)

What I REALLY want to see is how you've laid out this all-inclusive universe and the rationale behind it...

17. Autobot X

Heh...rationale? Tee hee.

I take deliberate and giddy satisfaction in breaking all the "rules" and standards previously set by the official continuities. When I was a kid, Technobot Strafe was a femme-bot, as was the Pretender Waverider. The doublespy Punch finally cracked under the pressure of his dual nature and murdered a bunch of Autobots in cold blood, then forcibly took command of the then leaderless Decepticon forces, taking the name Cobalt.

Autobots were known to befriend refugees from Gobotron (Jazz was "dating" a female Gobot named Scratch), but the Decepticons were to Gobots as the Nazis were to Jews (no, I am not making light of the Holocaust in any way). After all, it was Megatron who led the attack on Gobotron and slaughtered most of its inhabitants.

Broadside the triplechanger betrayed Rodimus Prime and left him for dead, because he had been duped by Cobalt, who promised him high standing in the Decepticon elite. Cobalt blew his head off when he showed up to take his promised position.

Hot Rod did not become Rodimus Prime. That was Hot Rod's brother, Ram Rod.

Of course, all of that was my childhood G1-iverse. Now that the majority of my pre-RiD toys have been put away, I've taken elements of those previous storylines and applied them to newer toys. For instance, Armada Wheeljack (whose name is Backlash) fills the role of Punch/Counterpunch/Cobalt, minus the multiple personality disorder. He leads a small cadre of speed demons, including Driveby (Movie Big Daddy), Movie Jolt, and Bodycount (Cyb. Cannonball). I plan on adding Movie Fracture to that group, when she comes out. Note: I'm pretty sure Driveby and Bodycount were names of former, if not current, 2005 Board members.

I'll try to put together a "More Than Meets the Eye" type of thing for my uberverse that will be helpful in understanding this silliness.

18. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I think it's quite cool that you rename your toys, and weave your own continuity around them. It's imaginative, and you're clearly getting maximum pleasure and play-value out of them that way. Not everyone needs to collect as an objective cataloguing excercise. :)  And while you're taking it to a very thorough level, I bet a lot of us on this board do this to some degree or another ("Cybertron Armorhide? Who's that? You're pointing to him? What, is he standing behind my Classics Pipes over there?").

Plus, you DID say to indulge you... if we can't ask questions like this on a Transformers board, where COULD we ask them?

Anyhow, with that in mind, I thought Necrophon's suggestions were pretty good... Shadowstrike, Onyx, and Ronin. What about something like Hunter, Stalker, Nightwatch, or Striker? You could shorten Shadowstrike to just "Shadow," or alter Prowl into "Prowler." You could use Shinobi, an alternate word for ninja. Or if you want to go more with the cop angle than the ninja angle, maybe something like Chase or Tracker. You could go E-Hobby with Clampdown or Deep Cover. Or go bizarre Gobot German-infused pun-name, with "Hans Cuff." :p 

19. Autobot X

I am actually leaning toward Shinobi or Ronin...I like the honor inherit in Ronin/Samurai. Problem is, he's more ninja-like, which means Shinobi would suit him better. Only, ninjas are sort of like the honorless jackals, which doesn't befit an Autobot. Perhaps Shogun?

EDIT: Hey, this is cool: Prowl's Italian name was Pantera...which means Panther, which suits Animated Prowl wonderfully. Pantera was also a really bad-ass heavy metal band. I could see TFA Prowl, AKA Pantera, getting the drop on some unwary Decepticon and asking for "5 Minutes Alone."

Heh...my problem may be solved. Unless anyone has better ideas.

20. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Shogun sounds kewl.