Indiana Jones makers downgrade Cannes Film Festival party

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Jetfireinthesky, May 16, 2008.

1. Jetfireinthesky

Jetfireinthesky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ers-downgrade-Cannes-Film-Festival-party.html

This makes me a sad panda. This is the summer movie I've looked forward to the most. I know film critics usually don't think of the audience whenever they judge films but it's still got me a little worried. Although now there's more of a chance for me to be pleasently surprised.

2. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ah, well. I will still watch it, and will probably love it because it is Indy. I think this is just a summer blockbuster, which get panned by critics all the time. Don't go looking for a great srcipt, go to enjoy the nostalgia.

3. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I'll still check it out. I loved the Indy flicks when I was kid.

4. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Bah, I never agree with the critics. Usually I think the exact opposite of what they think. Maybe I'm just stupid then. I watch a movie to be entertained, that's it. As long as it's fun and interesting I pretty much like it.

5. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What do critics know? Nothing! That's why they're critics. I'm still looking forward to Indy 4 and will probably enjoy the hell out of it.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is the best news ever. Film critics hating something is usually an indication that I will absolutely love it. Next week can't come soon enough.

And this isn't even sarcasm, seriously.. When film snob critics hate something, I go watch it and end up loving it.

I don't have the world figured out, but I do have one thing in life solved. Film critics like to stand out, just like everyone in the world, and to bash a movie that everyone expects to be good, is the best way for them to be heard.

Edit: in addition to this, they like to feel smarter than anyone else, so if we enjoy a movie for its entertainment value, then we are stupid and don't understand the art of cinema, but they do, which is why they are better than we are.

7. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I don't know how this movie will let me down. I don't see how it'll be possible.

Unless the movie doesn't have any sense of adventure what-so-ever.

Oh yeah, Indy fights communists, that's awsome! :p 

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fixed :D 

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I've been against this movie from the start. Harrison Ford is too old. I never really cared that much for Indiana Jones. And I know that "Oldiana Jones and the last depends" will suck. I've decided to add this movie to my list of "never to be watched under any cercumstances."

10. ac77

ac77 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm hopping that all this bad publicity is going to lower my expectations to the point that I can actually enjoy the movie no matter how bad it gets. For some reason though I keep thinking of "View to a kill" and Roger Moore looking 20 years too old to play Bond. I just hope that this doesn't end up clouding my view of the original "Raiders": that film was one of the best.

11. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    in the words of Anton Ego (the food critic from Ratatouille):
    I am looking forward to this moive, I have been for a long time. To me, Indy is every man's, man and I am glad to see another great adventure.

12. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

For me, movies like this are critic-proof. I loved the Star Wars prequels, flaws and all, and I'm going to love this one too. It's Indiana Jones, for pete's sake!

I read an article where Lucas says he thinks another sequel will work, with Shia LeBouf taking over as lead and having Indy in a secondary role, like Henry, Sr. in Last Crusade. TERRIBLE IDEA! There are plenty of Indiana Jones movies without Indiana Jones in them, like Sahara, National Treasure, Tomb Raider, etc. We don't need another one, even if it does fall under the Indiana Jones name. I think there's plenty of gas left in Harrison Ford's tank. I think he could do two more.

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I don't see how anything that article wrote would be considered either bad or in any way affecting the movie. Hell, if anything Hollywood needs to spend LESS on celebrating their products...they are only movies after all.

14. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Like most of you seem to feel, the critics can eat me. I'll be in line for Indy opening night -- midnight show, if anyone around here has one.

And lars573: Harrison Ford's age ALONE will make this movie suck? Whatever. He loves this character, and was invested in doing him justice with this movie -- part of the reason it's taken so long to get made. Plus, the man's 65 and did all his own stunts. We should all hope to be half as awesome when we're that age.

15. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Bullshit he did. Yes Ford being too old makes this suck. Before Indy was a mildly uninteresting attempt to revive serials. Now it's a trio of old farts trying to recapture their glory days, and failing.

16. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'll wait till I see the movie to judge Ford's age. Old men can still pull off action. Connery in LXG and Stallone in Rambo certainly proved that.

My major beef with the Indy series was that it did take them so long to make this sequel. I seriously doubt that everything just had to be perfect and only now it all came together. Thats just the hype machine wrapping their product in pretty PR packaging.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    M'kay

18. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

That's all the explanation I need.

19. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'm considerably more inclined to believe in Ford being an action man at 65 the I am in today's Lucas writing something that isn't shit.

Still, it might actually be watchable since he isn't directing and got somebody else to do the script.

20. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Sign me up too!