Increasing amount of third party products

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Weitat1988, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Weitat1988

Weitat1988 Well-Known Member

Lately i been seeing alot of upcoming third party products , i myself brought afew of the third party products ,
    i find most of them are decent and awesome looking , somehow it just does not feel right for me , as long as they are not produced by hasbro/takara =x.

but something is bugging me thou
    is hasbro/takara is not doing good enough for the fans ?
    or the third party are acutally better toy maker and understands what the fans wants more ?

2. SeiberBirdR

SeiberBirdR Sapienbot

News Credits:
    I think it is more that the 3rd Parties are doing product that do not make sense for the larger mass market but still have a viable collector market base. Accessories have a difficult sale potential. Advanced larger combiners have limited appeal and the market can only support so many at once. Especially with the price scheme. Basically, unless Hasbro can sell huge numbers of a unit they do not make enough back to be worth the investment Hasbro could have placed into another figure. The 3rd Party manufacturers are working on a completely different and much smaller scale. They can afford to charge higher prices. They can consider a smaller amount of sales a worthy success.

Even then we are still seeing some cross over. Hasbro is doing a Wreck-Gar. Hasbro is a doing a Rumble (and Frenzy). Yet look at the difference between Perfect Effect's Shadow Warrior F&R versus Hasbro's Frenzy and Rumble. The PE versions are accessories to other figures. Hasbro's are stand alones.

It comes down to Hasbro is not largely targeting the same market. The adult collector market is more incidental than a significant market share. Anything designed for us has to have appeal to the younger market as well or a rare once in a while figure such as a Masterpiece. The 3rd Parties are focussed on us and do not care about the younger market.

3. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Hasbro and Takara are fulfilling our wet dreams lately, so I don't know where you're getting the sense that they're doing wrong by us.

We're getting Wheeljack, Kup, Scourge, and Thundercracker in one case for crying out loud.

4. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    It is a great time to be a transfan.

Hasbro is putting out great products and some industrious groups are adding pieces/replacing pieces to improve those figures all the way to creating whole figures that Hasbro either didn't do (or are unlikely to) or didn't do 'well'.

I've bought at least as many third party items this year as I have official. My collection is much more refined and fleshed out as a result. I expect this to get better and better

5. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Think of it this way. Hasbro intended these toy's for kids. The Third party companies intend them for collectors. Collectors like us want a lot more in a toy than the average kid would want.
    Then again Takara more than Hasbro has been releasing some killer Masterpieces that can be considered collectors items as apposed to toys.

6. Fort_Fett

Fort_Fett iRkeN iNvaDR

I just wonder why Has/Tak hasn't gone after any of these companies...

7. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Because they're not taking away any money from them.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Are you really just wondering or do you actually want to see some of these unlicensed groups get shut down?

9. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    33 minutes

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Hasbro kind of has their hands full between having to make Transformers for the movie line and making so many sub-brands for different ages of kids. So while they can get some products out that appeal to the collectors they just can't get as much stuff out there as quickly as collectors would like it.

3rd Party companies see there is more demand than there is supply so this gives them a chance to sell products that Hasbro just can't do right now even if they wanted to. Or to get into the accessories market that is harder to do on the scale that Hasbro does products.

It really doesn't hurt Hasbro because it keeps up interest in the characters without having to make the character themselves at the time. Plus there is nothing that prevents Hasbro from doing the character later. It might even help since it shows what collectors are interested in enough to spend the extra money for 3rd party products.

About the only people who lose out are those of us who just can't afford all the really cool 3rd Party stuff coming out to go with the really cool stuff Hasbro is putting out.

11. Tracer

Tracer _

News Credits:
    There is some pretty awesome 3rd party stuff out there. They are a nice compliment to the standard line. As long as they don't effect Hasbro decisions, like making a generations mold for Springer or Arcee I'm all for them.

12. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Whilst Hasbro continue to make such shoddy reimaginings of certain characters and screw over the UK with piss poor distribution I will continue to look to the 3rd party companies for my Transformers fix before anywhere else.

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if it wasn't for fansproject's add ons, i would never have bought those sorry excuses for bruticus and superion, same with the white prime, no cc, no sale. the improvements go a long way for these figures,

14. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    im sure eventually some peak will be reached and someone will make a big mistake and all those companies will get clamped down on. With how many keep popping up, I think its only a matter of time.

15. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure you've hammered you issues with Hasbro into our heads enough.....

16. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

cuz they cant...it is not possible to go after companies from other countries....anything short of an embargo is the only way to make it stop..and its not gonna...this has been going on since the beginning of toy makin and its not gonna stop..

17. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Not exactly.

Hasbro has a china branch now, they'd just have to wade through china's legal system to stop it.

The thing with other countries, is you have to apply their laws, and have a rep and lawyer in that country to do it. At least for china. When I say lawyer, I mean a lawyer that handles that country too. So it's not like their US lawyer team or japan lawyer team could do it.

If they were to do anything about it, it'll take at least 2 more years minimum.

The third parties don't affect what figures hasbro makes though. They can still make any character they want, and often do. So we can still see a true springer, arcee, and more, heck even Wreckgar is already coming.

18. nobody1898

nobody1898 Well-Known Member

hastak make figures to be sold to kids with a collectors as a after thought.

3rd parties are making figures exclusively for collectors.

19. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    I will admit that third party has some awesome designs but to pay double,triple or even quad for them is just crazy.Also to this day I have bought 0 third party figures & accessories and don't plan to either as like I said some of them are awesome but not $80 or $100 awesome.

Even tho I do buy knock offs I won't pay over half for whatever size class it is,as its still a knock off pure and simple.Later all.

20. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ithink if they want to keep a market share some comapnies are gonna have to lower there prices but we will see i love thriid party products myself i think some of the best figures i own are third party but not necessarily all hasbro and takara have made some very good figures themselves some of which match third party products blow for blow