In what cases would you like to see a repaint?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, May 21, 2008.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I love seeing modern recolors of G1 and G2 toys and properly painted instead of relying on stickers for details. I'm a sucker for these.

I also like to see repaints of toys I wanted but never saw in store or couldn't afford to buy on Ebay. The upcoming Ratbat toy is one of them, even if I didn't care for the Ratbat character, I'd still buy it just because I wanted but never got to own the Sideways toy. I already have two Live Convoys (one unopened) so owning Springer too isn't that big of a deal but I don't own any toy of Springer so I'm not really complaining much. If Ratbat was available as an individual deluxe, I'd just get Ratbat.

And then there are toys that I just find cool and would buy at least another repaint of - I own Classics Starscream, Classics Skywarp, Classics Ramjet and will happily buy Universe Acid Storm and perhaps Henkei Thundercracker is possible. I'm also looking forward to getting Fracture even though I already own the original Classics Mirage toy; if they ever did a Drag Strip repaint, I know I'd end up getting that too.

2. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

If it looks good and i like it i buy it, it dosent matter if its the molds first or 15th repaint.

3. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    actually I think movie Megs would be a pretty good BW Rampage repaint

4. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

yeah the comic-packs look really cool to me because i started collecting TFs right at the end of cybertron and only got one cybertron mold so yeah me to for the comic-pack

5. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'm a big fan of using the inevitable repaints in a given line to give us characters we'd otherwise never see updates of (recent examples include Big Daddy, upcoming Breakaway (Getaway) and Crankcase).

6. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

For the most part, I'll get a repaint if:

1) I missed the first incarnation of a figure (recently, Jolt and Divebomb from the Wal-Mart repaints).

2) It is awesome (the Seacons repaint, upcoming Ratbat, and Roadbuster)

3) I am bored (I swear, I got Brakedown GTS just because his new name was funny and I couldn't find anything better that day).

4) It makes sense to have more than one (this actually applies more to my G.I. Joe 25th fandom, where I've got, like, five Cobra Troopers in varying colorschemes, or, if I'd gotten more of the Scrapmetals).

7. Synthetic Breed

Synthetic Breed Supreme Autubot Commander

Another Fortress Maximus so I can relatively afford it. lol.

8. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Classics Megatron.

9. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

Yes. I'd like to second this.

10. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All I want is a line where I can get all 6 original seekers without having to chase and pay absurd prices for convention/store exclusives. No, the G1 mold doesn't count because it sucks.

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    it may suck now, but it sure as hell didnt when it was new.

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

If I missed out on a cool mould first time round, either through not seeing in shops/this country or not being able to afford it when it was available.

If I passed on a decent mould first time round because I didn't see its potential for coolness, and said repaint actually makes the mould look better.

If it's a cool mould that I want to kitbash many times over and I didn't get enough of 'em first time round.

If they actually take the trouble to make a new character from the redeco instead of the lazy 'power-up' option. This isn't overly relevant, though, since I can quite happily make up my own characters anyway.

13. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

If a repaint is basically a separate character with a separate background, I'm game. But "Aqua Blast Prime" wouldn't be one of those. If Trailbreaker had been "Stealth Hoist" he would have been an easy pass. As it stands I'm pretty much sticking with Classics and Classiverse so my repaint lust will be satiated.

14. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    I'd like to see a repaint of Classics Grimlock in the new Universe line, hopefully as a new character. Universe T-Wrecks, anyone? :) 

15. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    This too. A cool new color scheme can make me buy the same toy again (I bought Universe King Atlas and Soundwave/Space Case even though I owned MW Starscream and Euro G1 Stalker because they were painted so well and differently.

And I'd rather them repaint toys that have never been repainted before than a toy that has been repainted several times. I'd rather see a repaint of Cybertron Scout Scattorshot than I would yet another repaint of the Energon Arcee toy. Or actually, any of the Energon/Cybertron Scout toys that were repainted for the movie line. Most of the toys in the movie line had already been once before (i.e. the Overhaul and Brushguard mold didn't need a Warpath repaint).

16. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But, but, T-Wrecks IS Grimlock... ;) 

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    This. Though replace 'bored' with 'impulse buy'

18. knownasx

knownasx onebotarmy

how about a repaint of classic magnus in some what right colors so i dont have to do it:D ream:

19. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    The only repaints I've ever found acceptable were the Seekers, and to a lesser degree, a couple of the original Autobot cars (Prowl, Bluestreak, etc). And that's it.

I've never been on board with Cliffjumper essentially being a straight repaint of Bumblebee, even with the revised head mold. But imo the worst ongoing repaint expectation is Ironhide/Ratchet. If anyone should share a similar mold, it's Ironhide & Trailbreaker. Though I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 of them end up sharing a mold in Universe now that Ironhide is an SUV. An easy black repaint w/ head remold and you got Trailbreaker, and with a set of lights stuck on top also w/ a head remold, Ratchet just went from being an ambulance to a modern day EMS vehicle. And I would be completely on board with that.

20. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    - Cybertron Megs or Galvatron done as an homage to the Batmobile.
    I actually would like to see several TF vehicles repainted as homages to TV/movie vehicle icons. I've seen some quality customs and kitbashes along those lines and it made me want to own them even more.
    - Classics Megs in genuine G1 colors.
    - Movie Ratchet in genuine G1 colors.
    - A mass-market release of Classics Thundercracker. Con and Club exclusives be danged.
    - US market redecos of MP Starscream as Thundercracker and Skywarp.
    - Alternators redecos/remolds for Soundwave, Starscream, Ratchet, Ironhide, Blaster, and the Stunticons. And I still can't believe we never got an Alt Megatron. Either the Mustang or the Ford GT repainted as Megs with a new head sculpt still would've been cool.