In this topic, I will watch, rate and comment on every G1 episode.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MetaRidleyX, Nov 22, 2008.

1. MetaRidleyX

MetaRidleyX I Lied!

You read right folks! Everyday in this topic, whenever I feel like it I will watch a G1 episode and then comment on it and rate it out of 100. I will start at the beginning of G1 obviously since there is truly no better place to start then at the beginning.

I will rate it based it on how good the episode was.

My comments will be anything that I feel is worth noting about an episode weather it be odd moments, questions or just something along the lines of OMG OMG OMG OMG THIS IS AWESOME!

So, I will start this tomorrow and do at least 1 episode per day. More then likely more episodes on weekends.....enjoy!

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gurren Lagann? Oh I see, you want us to see something truly bad to understand your rating system.

3. MetaRidleyX

MetaRidleyX I Lied!

Actually....

I never said that you have to watch an episode Gurren Lagann to understand my rating system that was just the first thing that popped into my head when I thought of epic.

You could also watch GaoGaiGar, 300, the episode Code of Hero of Beast Wars or The Dark Knight to understand what the EPIC factor is all about.

>_>

Besides this topic is about G1 not Gurren Lagann.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I can't wait for you to get to 'B.O.T.' or 'Carnage in C-Minor,' Ridley.

5. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    Rofl, Carnage in C-minor. That will be a fun one indeed.

6. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    So what's your fan background? Do you already have a pro or con bias about G1, or no opinion on it at all? Do you deal well with people who inevitably won't agree with you and will come in here to argue it?

--Moony

7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Here we go again, someone holding up what happened in the 80's to today's standards Good luck and best wishes. BTW, a true comparison would be to other products of the 80's. Care Bears anyone?

8. MetaRidleyX

MetaRidleyX I Lied!

Ha

My fan background is all of the Unicron Trilogy, Beast Wars, and animated, the movie and the 1986 movie. I have no opinion of G1 as of yet but of course this is what the topic is for. Also Moonscream I go to 4chan...dealing with people that disagree with you is basically a requirement to go there.

9. MetaRidleyX

MetaRidleyX I Lied!

Episode 1 of Season 1: More Than Meets The Eye pt1

EF: This is the episode that began it all so of course that makes it pretty epic by itself so.......80/100

PF: For the first episode of a series it does a pretty good job of telling you who's who, and what will be going on throughout the episodes but other then that there wasn't much plot in it if that makes any sense so.....70/100.

GF: This episode was a good time. Though with some flaws that I will explain in the comments so.....60/100.

Overall this episode rates about a 70/100 very good but not anything spectacular.

Comments:

-Wheeljack is the first transformer anyone ever saw ever....that's something to remember in case I'm ever on Jeopardy: Transformers Edition.

-The cybertronian vehicles look WEIRD AS HELL. I mean god it likes they just drew a shape and decided to call it a vehicle mode.

-Why can everyone fly....I though only the jetbots could fly not...everyone.

-Heh...humans thinking they could take down Megatron with rocks..crazy, crazy humans. I don't understand why didn't the humans just run away like they normally do.

-Also I hope this isn't with all episodes but this episode was SO SLOW PACED. I mean yes it got a lot of content in but god did it feel like a long time while doing so.

-The eyecatches are pretty cool very Gurren Lagann-ey in the sense that it's showing off a different character per eyecatch.

-Does Soundwave have a pocket dimension in his chest or something where he keeps all his cassette's?.

Last one
    -I'm think I'm going to put in a factor called the SBF aka the Starscream betrayal factor which will essentially be how much of betrayal does Starscream say/do/attempts to do during an episode.

So yeah, the first episode was not bad for a first episode...now let's see how the rest play out.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Welcome to your first bit of inconsistent continuity in G1. It's later established that only Decepticons can fly in robot mode, but at the start everyone can do it.

In the long run, you'll find it much less draining on your sanity if you don't try to rationalize all the bad science in G1.

11. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Yeah, this one always puzzled me. Someone traveled forward in time and across the galaxy to a technologically inferior planet, picked up parts to a '79 VW Bug, returned to the past and used them to build a robot that transforms into a hovercraft.

Here's another stat you can keep: number of episodes since you've seen Grapple.

12. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

when rating the cliche factor, are you basing the clicheness on the time period or the clicheness today?

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Oh man, I wanna see your review of "Fire in the Sky" when you get around to it. and "B.O.T." as well, since that's like the worst TF episode EVER.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    LOL, too bad it'll be a few months before you get to BOT.

That is, if you don't give up before then.

Your head is going to explode in later episodes if you keep trying to make sense of what you see.

15. Ravage

Ravage Decepticons forever!

Yeah, don't even bother trying to rationalize the flying. The non-aircraft Autobots weren't supposed to be able to fly but did so whenever it was convenient for the plot. You'll see that little inconsistency pop up throughout the series.

16. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Ah, yes, I've seen people come from 4chan and try to deal with people on other boards the same way. Just as long as you don't follow that 'instant insult' pattern. ;) 

Pretty good first episode review, but kind of spare and 'only the facts ma'am'. Could do with a bit more color commentary.

And I always liked that the humans had guts in the series. Made them much more than screaming cannon fodder.

--Moony

17. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

The flying thing: things change between pilot episodes and the actual series. Happens all the time, this was one of them. And if you can't come to terms with subspace and mass-shifting, G1 will drive you nuts.

18. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    This should be the basis and reason for any review. Anything else more than that doesn't give me (at least) much reason to be interested in reading a review otherwise.

But rating an episode based on how "epic" it was? Seriously? Why should that at all be a determining factor in rating an episode?

...unless it's an epic failure.

But lots of luck to you with this, and for anyone else who finds this interesting.

19. MetaRidleyX

MetaRidleyX I Lied!

Season 1 Episode 2: More Than Meets The Eye pt 2

Episode Rating:
    60/100- A lot of action in this one which is always pleasant. Though the plotline with the ruby crystals of berma was odd since I had never heard of those crystals until now. Are they actual crystals or just made up for the show? This is also the first episode where bumblebee is prominent and the humans first show up so that boosts up this score but the plot is kinda of iffy for me to give it anything higher.

Comments I forgot to mention last episode:
    -Why the hell does it take 3 decipticons to form 1 camera? That's just stupid in so many ways.

-The theme song and animation that accompany the song are pretty awesome.

-The narrator is borderline awesome and borderline crazy.

Comments:

-I find it funny that the humans are so accepting of giant robots and the fact that they live on another planet.

-Megatron knows how to make an entrance.

-And always the humans are ABSOLUTELY USELESS! (Sari is the exception that proves the rule)

-I'm 90% this episode was just a giant homage to star wars with the laser weapons and roller being R2-D2.

-At least we know now how Megatron can fly....CONSTANTLY SPINNING HIS LASER MACE!

-So many car puns...it's killing me.

-There are loads of great lines in this episode....to bad I forgot them all before I made this post.

-Starscream is to obsessed with the little things to become leader of the decipticons. First he wants to check if the energon cubes work then he wants to know how the tidal wave will help....starscream to just go with it and don't ask questions.

-On that note, Megatron is always telling Starscream to fire the null ray...why is that?

-Seeing the humans just get smacked around by the decepticons is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

-As is prime in car mode rolling down a mountain.

Starting tomorrow with the next episode instead of writing down my comments AFTER I finish the episode I'm going to write them DURING the episode which will make it a lot easier. Also I got rid of the factors for rating and instead just have a reason on why I gave it that rating.

I hope people like the changes...I'll find out tommrow I guess.

I hope everyone enjoys this...I promise it will be better tomorrow.

20. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Ya know. It's interesting to see a "G1 for the first time" review. Keep at it!

BTW, Gurren Lagan is too epic to compair things too, it needs it's own word. XD