In their time off...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Mako Crab, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What do you imagine video game characters do during their days off when they're not fighting off endless hordes of baddies?

I've been on a Castlevania kick lately, and it got me to thinking about the Belmonts. What kind of people are they? Just normal residents of Warakiya in Transylvania that were called upon to take up arms against Dracula? Monster slaying can't be a full time job can it? For some reason I keep thinking of the Belmont clan as farmers. I don't know why. Maybe it's the cover art for the games depicting the Belmonts as muscle-bound vampire killers on par with the likes of Conan the Barbarian. Can't really picture them as upper crust, high society types (though Richter Belmont makes me wonder). So I keep coming back to hard labor types of jobs.
    Then again, maybe they're warriors employed by a nearby kingdom? Full-time warriors? That could definitely work. Yeah yeah! Still, I kind of wonder what they're like on a normal day.

So anyway, what do you imagine some of your favorite characters doing on their day off? What are they like when they're not saving the universe?

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Simon"The Body" Belmont pumps iron ( internets to first one to get the reference)

Mario and Luigi probably kick back with brews when Peach doesn't have them fixing her castle's plumbing lol

Megaman Watches Pinocchio and wishes he was a real boy.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wrote a short story about this back in 01. It was a short animated movie about how Mario is just like an actor. It was a cross between TRON and Monsters Inc. Where you would see what all these character did when the power was shut off on the systems.

It also went into the philosophies of character choosing to sell out and give themselves 3D makovers in order to fit with the times, and how characters like Simon Belmont turned down the offer which is why they replaced him with other characters.

4. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Simon's just too classy for that. :D 

Ugh! I just remembered Castlevania: Judgment, that horrible fighting game on the Wii. The character re-designs are beyond awful, and Simon Belmont is one of the biggest fashion victims in video game history because of it.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Megaman probably returns to life as Doctor Light's lab assistant. Mario probably chills in his pad outside Mushroom city, though he keeps busy - plays some tennis, goes out go-karting, plays some party games, helps manage the local hotel, and when he's not doing all of that, he does some plumbing. By bopping the ground underneath critters crawling our from exposed pipes.

Link I guess spends his time doing more mundane monster fighting stuff like I envisage most RPG heroes doing in their off time. He heads out, hunts game for the local villagers, and if the meaner critters out in the wide world get too close to home, he heads out and fights them off.

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Did you make an animated movie of this or just a written story? Sounds interesting :) 

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Lara Croft is a UN charity ambassador in her off hours.

Makes her getting permits to go tomb raiding easier.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Samus Aran goes to the bar and picks up hot lesbians. One of them's that chick in Guardian Legend.

Mega Man probably plays Dead Rising

9. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    seems no one but me remembers any of Captain N the games master XD

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Captain N?

I know a lot of zombies spend their time at Build-a-Bear. Link probably collects DnD miniatures. Marcus Fenix puts steel bands tightly around his neck and flexes them off.

Didn't see you post that by the time I replied, but that's ok. I remember him being the arrogant jerk, but I don't remember that exact reference,

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

That dude from Ghosts n Goblins is Link's real dad.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Sonic goes on the internet and whines about how bad his games are, then goes to Amazon and pre-orders the next one.

Also, Frank West covers wars y'know.

13. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

shit you beat me to it!

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did some animation tests and recorded the VOs but then we got busy at work and it fell through :( 

Visually it mixed atari and 3D graphics. Those who lived in the slums had backgrounds that looked like Atari days, while the upper classes lived in fully rendered normal-mapped buildings. I did an animation where as they crossed from the nice side of town to the bad side, you'd see the sun go from a bright orb of light (complete with lens flare) to an orange block, lol.

The main character of the short goes to the employment office for his first gig. He has dreams of being the next Cloud or Master Chief, but instead he gets an education game.

Some baked college kid is playing the game and keeps getting him killed, so the main character (Styx) gets pissed and walks out of his game (The biggest crime you can commit in their world). So he's a fugitive, being chased by 2D Wolfenstien guards. Pitfall (2D in his Atari 2600 form) helps him escape, and they leave the city in a journey of Self-discovery. At the end they find their God: A monolith from which all creation came (The Bar from Pong) We were going to create an animation that shows the block morph into a pixel and you see the evolution from 2D to 3D. He then gets the help of a bunch of reject 2D characters to help him take down the city proper and free all the game characters (ie. they use the block from Super Breakout to take out the city walls, as the tanks from COMBAT storm the dictator's castle).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  15. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    That sounds awesome. It needs to be made. :D 

16. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    They all spend their time on Farmville...

17. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    don't remember the episode but it was one where we was on stage and they yanked his shirt off and called him that then he got drained and looked like an old man , and he was arrogant as hell lol

18. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

[​IMG][​IMG]

I love teasing Castlevania fans with the Captain N version of Simon Belmont.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember the Link that came out in Captain N was cooler than the one from his own Zelda show. He got pissed at Captain N for trying to move in on Zelda.

20. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I recall correctly, Samus was pretty badass to when she showed up.

Oh, and as far as time off goes, Solid Snake, both while in a game AND on his off time, is masterbating.