In Starscream's character bio, the makers forgot that he used to be a scientist...

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Cryptwire, Apr 15, 2010.

1. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I'm not sure I can agree with you completly about that.

While the characters and the universe in the game seem to be G1 inspired...... its certainly isint any of the original G1 universes we saw before.

It certainly is not the G1 toon universe or the Marvel G1 universe.

2. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Then, the point stand. This isn't G1. :p 

3. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I just have to interject with this.

I thinking the terms, "Based off of...." and "Inspired by..." needs to be sunk in a bit deeper. That way there will be no need for arguments or even threads like this to even be started.

For instance, Dreamwave and IDW comics are based off of the G1 property from the 80s. They do not follow the same storylines, but are inspired by them and their characters to create their own. That's it, nothing else.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    So, you're a troll?

Good to know.

Also, it's worth noting that when we say "Not G1" we mean not a direct reproduction or prequel to any fixed G1 storylline, like the cartoon or comics. It is very much a G1-inspired story like IDW's or Dreamwave's, and neither of those (while being G1) directly copy or tie into the old show or comics.

5. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Hey, I said it was a bad habit!

But what you say is true. That's why I dig WFC so much. It's my favorite flavor.

6. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star 3 2 1 Countach!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oh.. for gawds sake! Drop it already

THIS IS NOT G1 NOTHING WILL EVER BE AGAIN!

that said this is also heavily G1 inspired and Why I like it so much...
    and there's a preorder xclusive Armada character for crying out loud!

All I want in any new TF series.... is for them to get over this thing that's going on where the only autobots are Prime Ratchet Ironhide Bumblebee and Jazz...
    and Animated did that...

was hoping this would too... but seems it's the same old five heroes again!
    at the very least substitute First aid in for ratchet... he's at least interesting (and was voiced by micheal bell)

7. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 Barely active here

News Credits:
    Exactly. :p 

8. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When did I point the finger at you? I merely asked if you were owning up to such a thing since you countered my post.

Some of these folks are new to the discussion, and they are almost always talked to as though they’ve been part of the discussion 10 pages back.

*shakes head* Weren’t you the one singing this isn’t G1 in your first post of this discussion?

Yeah, okay.

The cartoons, and possibly comics too, already said that there were Primes before Prime, didn’t it? I thought that’s who he communed with when he went into the Matrix looking for the cure for cosmic rust. Hod Rod, too, changed his name when he became a Prime, so Primes have been covered in the cartoon. Maybe not fully, but it was touched on.

Hmm. When you consider other Transformer geeks made this game—geeks who themselves talk about their love for the original show—isn’t it fair that these questions be asked? The question about Frank Welker reprising his role came up soon after it was confirmed that Peter Cullen was doing Prime again. Similar voice actors, attitude and character designs bring these kinds of questions up.

9. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This fight is useless. G1 sucks anyway.

Kiss Players is where it's at.

10. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Right, I'm done. There is no point in discussing if you don't listen to what I am saying. You have, once again, ignored the key points. So *claps hand together, holds them out and steps back* I'm done!

Hell's yeah!

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Okay, first of all... WFC Starscream might still have been a scientist. It just hasn't been explored in detail yet.

Secondly,
    who says Starscream is a scientist anyway? It was mentioned in what... ONE episode of the G1 cartoon, and then never again? Considering how many contradicting or abandoned bits of canon have been tossed around in that cartoon, that's hardly worthwhile.

To be honest, I have no problem with Starscream having been a "scientist"... I mean, he must have been doing SOMETHING before the war, right? What do we know about him? He's probably upper-class, an elite, possessing the best tech, a tremendous intellect, and a thoroughly superior attitude. He might have been a military officer, but also a scientist. I'm cool with that. Makes me wonder what other Cons were doing before the war. I'm sure some of them were labourers, soldiers and criminals, but what else?

Also... what is a "scientist" anyway? What does that even mean? Are we going by that old 1950's catch-all renaissance-man image of the "scientist" who seems to know everything about everything? Was Starscream a cybernetic biologist? A chemist? A weapons tech? An aerospace designer? A chaos theoretician?

Eh? Why is that? You seem to have a weird idea of what is appropriate "scientist" behaviour. :rolleyes: 

I'm fine with Starscream being a scientist, because it's in no way contradictory with the rest of his personality, and actually tends to explain a lot about him. A scientist can be ambitious, arrogant, athletic, violent, warlike, petty, vainglorious, conniving... they aren't all nebbish, absent-minded peaceniks or wily inventors after all. :) 

Here's something I want to direct not only at the opening poster but also all the smug types who love to jump in with a chorus of "It's not G1!".

G1 IS NOT SYNONYMOUS WITH THE 1980'S CARTOON!!!

G1 has multiple incarnations, so you can't really argue that WFC is "not G1". I think it actually is EXPLICITLY G1.

G1 is the Tech Specs.
    G1 is the Marvel comics.
    G1 is the UK comics.
    G1 is the Japanese continuation cartoons.
    G1 is Dreamwave.
    G1 is IDW.
    G1 is WFC.

G1 is the same basic, recognizable characters, exhibiting the same basic, identifiable names, personalities and visual motifs, operating in more or less the same basic circumstances. So all you haters out there... get over it. This is G1.

And all you G1 Cartoon Supremacists... ditto. The cartoon isn't where G1 ends... it's not even where it begins.

It is? Or are you referring to the supplementary Movie stuff written by Furman and IDW? Because I don't think this aspect of Starscream was ever explored in the movie.

I agree, although I'll point to my above points about how the Cartoon is NOT the only (or even most authoritative) rendition of G1.

Thank you. :thumb 

Exactly.

zmog

12. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    By that logic, every single incarnation of Transformers is G1. lulz.

WfC is a take on Transformers history before Earth. G1 is everything from the 80s and nothing more. After that, there are different universes based on G1, but created much later than the original showing of the toon and the Marvel comics. It's like the classics and Universe lines. They're based on G1, but its not G1 since it wasn't created in the 80s heyday and is instead inspired by it.

Is this that hard a concept to grasp?

13. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

So Dreamwave isn't G1? IDW isn't G1? The Classics/Universe toyline isn't G1? FunPub's Tmelines Classics stories (which take place in a splinter timeline of the 1980s Marvel Comics) isn't G1? You certainly have a very narrow definition of what G1 is; one that is rather obviously not shared but the majority of the fandom or with Hasbro.

Admittedly, what G1 is is kind of vaguely defined. However, I think the near universal consensus is "any continuity based on the original tech specs and aesthetics of the first toyline." Thus DW, IDW, Classics/Universe, Timelines, and WfC are all G1.

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Is it that hard a concept to grasp that the G1 line have become a "continuing" universe.

I'm sorry if this sounds rude but your entire post is inaccurate.

"G1" was originally a fan made catch phrase but has since evolved to include any and all materials that are G1 related or are within the G1 family.

And no they just dont include materials that originated in the 80's nor would it include lines like RID or Armada that are clearly not G1 based.

Like Smog said before...

"G1 is the same basic, recognizable characters, exhibiting the same basic, identifiable names, personalities and visual motifs, operating in more or less the same basic circumstances."

So that does include DW,IDW, and some of the classic line.

15. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:

I completely agree, glad to see I am not the only one who feels this way.:) 

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Er, no. Not even close. Are you sure you know your Transformers, because that's a pretty uninformed point of view. ;) 

RID, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Bayformers, Animated... all of those contain some characters that are homages to G1... but none of them are specifically intended to be the same characters. Meanwhile all of those series contain characters that are clearly entirely different people, even if they share names.

Beast Wars is borderline... it is ostensibly linked to the G1 continuity, but in a very distant way, since the entire cast, concept and setting is so different that it pretty much qualifies as its own thing.

No, but it's a very narrow concept. G1 can be a pliable, obscure concept, and you can make a case for it being exclusively limited to materials produced in the 80's, but I think that would be shortsighted. G1 is more than just a production run... it is an era, a setting, a collective of characters all based on those original toys and specs. Saying that Classics or Dreamwave isn't "G1" is splitting hairs, nothing more.

Right... that is, in more specific terms, just what I meant. I didn't think I needed to put it any clearer, but apparently I did. ;) 

Seems like more than a few of us agree as well. Yay. :) 

zmog

17. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Read this

I'm firmly in the camp that WFC is G1. It's clearly based off the characters and aesthetic from the original 80's incarnation. It's the War Within 2.0. I'm certain I'm not the only one with this viewpoint, all the WFC character links in the wiki link to G1 pages (barring Demolishor, but they're clearly trying to retroactively place a version of him in there as well, like they did in Shattered Glass).