Customs: In scale Combiners

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Quantum25, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

So has anyone thought of making combiners where each team's component bots/cons were actually in scale with each other?
    Yes, I just used scale and combiners in the same sentence. :lol 

To be honest, I'm actually thinking about attempting one. That is after I finalize my plans and get through my backlog of other customs. Yes, it's going to be Bruticus.

Granted so I don't end up with a Bruticus with a gimped leg and a massive arm, the components are going to be shifted around, i.e. Blastoff is going to end up forming a majority of Bruticus; Vortex forming a shoulder? maybe a lower arm?; Brawl part of a shin; Swindle a Kneecap maybe; and Onslaught a portion of Bruticus's chest perhaps.

Anyways, I think it'd be a neat idea to try out. So, what do you guys think?

2. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I have. A Cold War era consistent scale Bruticus has been on the back burner for me for years. I already sunk so much into it, but I need a lot of uninterrupted time to set up and work on it.

By the way, I think the G1 Aerialbots are pretty close to scale with each other.

3. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah Superion's pretty good for scale, at least it would seem so. The concorde's a fair bit out of scale, but the limbs are fairly close. Any combiner involving a bike as a limb is gonna be scale hell.

4. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

A scaled Stunticon set is easy. Using Mp-01 as a scale reference, I built a full set of 1/24 cars that combined with MP-01 (1/25) The trailer used is a 1/25 scale and fit the figure perfectly so that's where the size reference comes from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^^Standing next to MP Megatron, you get an idea as to how tall a real in scale combiner would be without mass shifting.

I did a Bruticus too but only Onslaught and Swindle are in scale. Brawl had to be 1/32 and Vortex 1/48 or the combined proportions woulda been really off..

5. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

I agree, I may tackle a scaled Superion project after Bruticus is done, but it's going to take a lot of time.

And deliciouspeter, I'm also quite interested in how your Bruticus project will eventually turn out, I'll definitely keep an eye out.

Wow, just wow. That reminds me, before I get back to my project(s) I should probably look over your scratch-building tutorials again, those were a customizing goldmine.

So just to see what I was getting myself into with this kind of project, I decided to find out what exact scale I'm dealing with here. With the two figures I've chosen already (a KO mini-Onslaught and a Energon scout Helicopter mold) it looks like I'm going to be dealing with a roughly 1/100 scaled Combaticon team/Bruticus. With this, it looks like Blastoff is going to be leader sized and the remaining two Combaticons Scout-sized and most likely smaller.

6. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

I'm working on a minicon combiner with a PCC huffer as the torso, he scales with his minicon car limbs perfectly