In prep of DOTM, I just watched ROTF and...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Screamer55, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Screamer55

Screamer55 Well-Known Member

...liked it.

This is actually extremely weird since I have hated that movie since the month after I saw it for the first time!
    When I first watched ROTF, I was blown away. A month later, I hated the movie and it was like that until now.

For the record, IT IS A BAD MOVIE, but I've grown to respect it a little more now. I also respect that I probably wouldn't have been able to make it either if I was the director. Bay might be an ass but he deserves quite a bit of credit.
    Was is also extremely strange is that I now respect Megan Fox's acting a little more now(shocker!). She wasn't good but she wasn't horrible. There are plenty of actresses out there that would fail (can't name any though...).

Enough about me. Has anyone felt this strange enlightment after hating ROTF all this time?

2. megatron66

megatron66 OD'd on candy

yeah, kind of. I like some parts but others I hated.

3. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    I was dissapointed after I saw the midnight premiere of ROTF. I felt very underwhelmed about the whole movie. I saw it again like a week or so later and I enjoyed it alot more. I now love the movie and watch it any chance I get

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only complaints I really have with the movie are the raunchy comedy bits at home and college, and the totally anticlimactic final battle. The ground war at the end was a bit stretched out, but wasn't horrible. Would've been nicer to see the individual Constructicons strut their stuff more, though.

5. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    I was blown away initially by the action, didn't really notice any of the plot disaster until I'd seen it a couple times.

While I acknowledge its many flaws, I also acknowledge that it's not entirely their fault that it wasn't very good.

Still, I find it extremely entertaining and fun to watch. I've seen it about twenty times now.

6. Sideswipe94

Sideswipe94 Autobot

News Credits:
    This

7. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    It may have been bad, but I still enjoyed it. Watching Devastator combine was amazing.

I loved Optimus's battle in the forest.

As for the twins, I really think they received more line than they deserved. Ratchet had only 4 the entire film, and he deserves so much more than that

8. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll be watching the first movie in prep for DOTM. I think I can pass on rewatching ROTF.

9. NitrogenB

NitrogenB Well-Known Member

I, like you, also watched the movie again last night in preparation for DTOM. A couple of thoughts from my brain:

Pros:
    - The Forest fight, imo, is one of the sweetest action scenes ever printed on film. Not to mention sweetest action scenes in any transformer movie to date. Holy Mess the pure awseomeness of everything that happens here is great. Prime takes names and shreds faces.
    - Action was a lot better than TF1, Bay was getting a handle on how to frame the robots in the action (though it kinda fell apart towards the end when Prime, Fallen and Megatron were fighting)
    - Characterization of Megatron and Starscream was almost spot on with bickering, cowardice.
    - Sideswipe. That is all.

Cons:
    - I never noticed, but can't get over the fact that Simmons was standing outside Petra, saying he saw the military air dropping Optimus in Egypt....really? A couple hundred miles away and you cans ee that through your binoculars?
    - I liked the twins at first, thought they added variety. After watching it again...they are just annoying. Very annoying. Not in a racist way, just...annoying.
    - Megan Fox....ugh, don't get me started. She needs to wait tables somewhere.
    - Jolt...what the frick happened to him? He had absolutely -0- fleshed out characterization and was just used as a plot device for Jet-Prime.
    - Devastator, for me, was by far the biggest disappointment. He was always my fav character, and they totally murdered him here.
    - The movie felt like 2 movies spliced together...too long.

All that to say, ROTF is still a guilty pleasure of mine, regaurdless of how awful it is :) 

10. NitrogenB

Amazing, was it not?

11. Browns2212

Browns2212 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just saw it again recently on cinemax and believe I enjoy it more each time I watch it. It has flaws but still has tons of cool robot action.

12. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

i hated it more on repeat, flaws become more obvious.

13. Dave_6

Dave_6 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The forest battle and when Devastator combines on the Blu-ray are amazing to watch. The IMAX scenes on that disc are some of the best eye-candy yet. I still have to fast forward thru parts of that movie though unlike the first one.

14. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    Oh it was pure beauty compared to how much of a bitch Bay made Optimus in his fight against Megatron during TF1.

Where was that pent up rage then?

I do that when it is just actors and actresses in the scene. No Autobots or Decepticons? *yawn*

15. Screamer55

Screamer55 Well-Known Member

The forest battle was always the one thing I loved about ROTF but its not really the "parts" that I made this topic for...

I feel like I've hated this movie for so long that I just can't hate anymore.

I don't think the initial problem with ROTF was the sex jokes, Stereotypes (I don't believe in stereotypes. I think people are just paranoid.), and lack of Robo-character. I think it was just that the whole film was exagerated to look like something that it just wasn't.
    Ever notice how ROTF had more advertisement than the first film and DOTM?

Does anyone agree or have I finally snapped?

16. Number1sikko

Number1sikko Autobot

News Credits:
    I was blown away by the movie the first couple of times I watched it. It really wasn't until dvd when I kind of started to dislike it. I love the actions scenes. I can watch them over and over again no problem. The forest fight is probably one of the single greatest action scenes I have ever seen.

I think as soon as they go into hiding after the forest scene the movie just gets boring. The twins get annoying. The plot holes become sore thumbs. It's not until the very end where I can begin to actually enjoy it again.

Although I will say, the ending is so sloppy in how it's done. Devastator was completely underused. He should have been taken down by Ratchet/Ironhide/Sideswipe. I don't blame Bay for it all. He got stuck in a tough situation and tried to make the best of it.

17. NitrogenB

The way Optimus dominated Starscream, Blackout AND Megatron for the short period made my inner-5 year old burst into tears. It was amazing. I picked up on the fact last night while I was watching it that he actually rips Starscream's arm off and beats him with it, hahahaha.

18. Number1sikko

Number1sikko Autobot

News Credits:
    I agree with you. They made it out to be this amazing robot action fest and, yes there were scenes like this, but overall is wasn't what they made it seem.

19. NitrogenB

Crap! How could I have forgotten about the Nut/Pot/Whoopie jokes that PERMEATED the entire movie!

20. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Last time I watched, I noticed a few things:

- The movie is absolutely GREAT from the start until Optimus' death, truly awesome.

- The movie starts to go off the rails when The Fallen announces he invaded Earth, it's on that EXACT scene the movie takes a turn for the worst.

- After that, all the Robots [Both 'Cons and 'Bots] disappear out of the movie, only leaving Bumblebee, The Twins and Wheelie [the movie also completely forgets the whole "THE FALLEN INVADED EARTH, GOD DAMN'IT" part of the plot].

- And then, the movie goes in a roadtrip to revive Optimus, in a pretty boring and lacking voyage with characters that can't support the movie alone [Wheelie, BB, The Twins], that's the part that makes the movie truly bad, that's why everyone curses the movie: Because of this damn roadtrip.

- The Movie goes back on the rails when Jetfire appears, you have quite a few good moments watching the guy...but then, he disappears and the movie goes off the rails again.

- The Egypt Battle was confuse, yet that's when the movie returns to the rails permanently [I mean, that's the part where good and ol' Optimus returns, that's the part where the 'Cons return!].

In short: The beginning is awesome, the middle is lacking, boring and uncreative, the end is cool as well.

Is the MIDDLE of the movie that drops the ball, the start and the end are cool.