in need of PC know it all concerning itunes.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Ok' ive been having HUGE problems with itunes on my Microsoft Windows Xp laptop.

It worked perfectly fine for years until last Tuesday. While listening to music through itunes on my laptop at work it suddenly and unexpecetly started "screaming" at me with a very high pitched and repetitive noise locking out my laptop. I couldn't close anything, which in turn forced me to having to hold down the power button to force the laptop to shutdown.

I turned it back on and let it do its thing, nothing abnormal appeared and it booted as normal. Waited for everything to finish loading etc before double clicking itunes again to carry on listening to my music. Yet this time instead of itunes loading it just simply crashed my laptop.....no error message, no hard drive access light flashing, nothing. Mouse was responsive in moving but I was un able to open or click on anything.

So I yet again had to do a hard shutdown.

It kept doing it so I checked the internet and itunes own support and did everything it suggested from deleting plugins, to uninstalling itunes and quicktime and re-installing them (upto 3 times). Using msconfig to try (with my limited knowledge) see if it was indeed conflicting with anything and even with just loading itunes and qttask it still wouldn't open and crashed my laptop.

I am unsure as to why the fault has suddenly appeared now, nothing new has been installed on my laptop for a long time, with the exception of updates for firefox, windows, norton and itunes, as I only use it to surf the net and listen to music.

When it crashes I can move the mouse cursor, but not click anything, back ground programms still run perfectly fine such as a DVD - yes I tried that as I wanted to rule everything out. The original noise my laptop made when it originally crashed has puzzled me and wonder if that is notification of a fault or something to look into, im just not sure what.

Overall the lack of being able to use itunes and not fix this problem has been driving me insane for a week and i'm in need of someone's help so if possible can anyone please help me out?

Thank you.

2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I've found the fault, all my music bought via itunes and that which i've put onto itunes myself from CD's has become corrupt. Searching through the folders crashes my laptop and running a virus scan causes a crash once it attempted to scan my music files.

I'm not happy in the slightest :mad 

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

o_O  weird.

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Ok i've pinned it down to the iTunes Library.itl file being corrupt not the music, its the file that creates your libary and if it doesn't exist you itunes shows nothing.

I've got a fix, but it means moving that .itl file. Can i move it? Like fuck i can, the moment my cursor goes anywhere near it my laptop crashes. aaahhhhhhh! :banghead: 

5. McBradders

Safe mode?

6. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Ah. Good point, thank you kind sir.

Too wrapped up trying to get this sorted that something like that slipped the mind.

7. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    O....M....G. I did it, its all fixed, everything is there, i'm so very, very, very pleased. YAY! :D 

To the hundreds of threads that had the same problem as I (that I read countless times over via searching for info on google), and the hundreds of useless responses I hear by present to you the fix for this issue.

1) Uninstall itunes and quick time. (your music/videos etc aren't deleted or lost)
    2) Go into your itunes folder. (mine was located at My Documents -> My Music -> iTunes) You will see a file named iTunes Library.itl
    3) Delete iTunes Library.itl from your PC. (its a file that stores information on your iTunes Library, i.e play count, rating, name etc)
    4) Download the latest itunes from Apple.com and install it.
    5) Double Click the iTunes icon to enter iTunes. There will be no songs or information - don't worry its normal.
    6) Within iTunes go to File->Add Folder to Libary locate your Itunes music folder and click OK.
    7) All your music will being to transfer back into iTunes.
    8) After 10 minutes or so depending on the number of songs you have you will see all songs transfered into your library.
    9) Enjoy.

iTunes Library.itl can become corrupt if interrupted at a certain time, as in a system lockup while its being accessed. Hence the problem I had, it can sometimes become corrupt due to anti-virus and other back ground things running so keep that in mind.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  8. McBradders

Good work, Batman :D 

9. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    This works too... when hovering over the itl files doesn't crash the system.
    How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists

Although it's pretty much useless at this point.

10. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Yeah its one of the strangest things ever, a file that crashes a pc just by going near it. It also crashed the PC when Norton did an anti virus run, it really didn't like being accessed.

But that at least helped zone in on the fault, and yep thats a good link. I used the other ones on Apple's support site and while well written and helpful didn't help in my case.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love how you always start your threads with a problem, Recall. And then before anyone can respond you've already solved them yourself, lol.

12. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    haha, i know. I'm gonna end up with a reputation.

It must be luck that when i post on this board i get an epiphany on how to solve it

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah, when I first hit this thread I thought "the first five posts will probably be Recall talking to himself and fixing the issue.

Seriously, that's a nice bit of trouble-shooting there.