In Memory...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paladin, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Today is December 7th. It is the 65th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, which ushered in the American involvement in World War 2.

It may well be the very last year of the "official" memorial services in Hawaii, since the survivors of the attacks are now all but gone.

THose of you who know someone who survived this difficult time in our nation, I encourage you to take a moment today and share in their experiences and wisdom.

2. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Man they better keep remembering! How could they not remember this. My grandfather was in WW2 and we always take time for this kind of stuff. I dont think people can ever forget.ever..

3. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    it seems sad that people are seeming to forget...if i hadnt seen the news last night, i woulda have. the date just doesnt stick in my head (but neither does most information) but it is still sad....ive been the the arizona once, and i want to go again, cuz i was to young to really appreciate the entire scope of it....

last year, i was subbing in a class cuz the teacher retired, and for the big final dance, we put together a hawaii seen, and included a section dedicated to pearl harbor....that was really cool...the parents LOVED it....

4. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    May we never forget.

My grandma use to have a picture of my grandfather, standing in front of Pearl Harbor the day before the attacks. Such an eerie shot. He was suppose to be there, but he was shipped out to do his tour of duty somewhere else (the name of state or country escapes me at the time).

5. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I shot video today at a Pearl Harbor Remembrance Ceremony. They had someone who was actually there when the attack happened. It made me tear up.

Very emotional.

6. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

[​IMG]

My grandfather was there. He met my grandmother 8 months before the attack, and they were married 5 months before the attack. Thankfully he's a Pearl Harbor survivor. He ended up joining the Army at 18 after a pregnancy scare with an older widow he was fooling around with :lol . They asked him if he'd be interested in being stationed in Honolulu. He had no idea at the time where that was. He asked how far away from Mass. it was. Once they told him, he took it. :lol 

He was later part of the Invasion of Saipan. He's got some really intense war stories too.

Just turned 85 years young this past October too.

7. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

My great grandfather fought in it too. He was fairly young actually. Fought the japanese overseas. Lots of war stories. You always hear that their generation didn't like talking about what they did, but he was glad to tell me. Loved every minute of it.

8. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

My girl lived in Hawaii for years and they said they are running out of funding to keep it going. How very sad..I mean its a major part of history.

9. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Each passing day there are fewer soliders from WW II living. We must never forget what these men (and women) did to save freedom for the generations to come. I will never forget the fact that they served and died so I could be free today. These people are heroes, even though most do not admit at. I someday hope to go to Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. I want to stand on the remains USS Arizona.

10. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    For those involved in WWII who passed away and fought for our freedom...

11. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

My Japanese grandfather fought against my American grandfather in WWII. Dunno if either of them were at Pearl Harbor.

I can say, though, that it's fascinating to hear my parents' wildly different perspectives on the war.

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As in literally or figuratively?

13. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Figuratively - they were born afterward. Some very strong opinions there, though.

14. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Both of my Grandfathers were in WWII, though, they had very different experiences, which greatly influenced their willingness to talk about it later on.

My Mom's Dad was a medic in the 101st airborne. He saw some of the worst combat (D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, and, I think, Market Garden, amongst others). He got through all of it, but not before spending a few months in a Nazi concentration camp where they fed him one teaspoon of rotten rice and a bit of water each day. He was one of the guys that had to pick body parts up off of the battlefields...nothing that anyone would want to remember. Not surprisingly, he didn't care much for talking about the war. We lost him almost 13 years ago now, and I wish I would have been old enough when he was still around, to better appreciate what he went through and why he did it.

My Dad's Dad had it differently. He was a radio operator on a B-17 crew and spent most of his time on bombing missions to Germany. He never had to slog through other people's guts and watch people get shot first hand. He had some close calls for sure, and even though his plane was shot down over the English Channel, most of the crew survived to fly again (including him). He's still with us today and he really enjoys telling the stories; unbelievably sharp for an 82 year old man.

All of those people deserve to be remembered and honored...every day, and especially today.

Great thread idea, BTW.

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

One of mine was in the 8th Army, he got mortered in North Africa and shot in Italy but still made it out. Unfortunatly cigarettes eventually suceceed where the Wehrmacht had failed.

His dad missed both wars, but he did get thrown in jail for several months for attacking fascists in the 1936 East End riot.