In love with pre-tf Browning! (pics, inc box)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

(checks over shoulder to make sure live in gf isn't reading title)

Yep I got him late last week, first time I've had my hands on a non-broken one. His arms came backwards though so I just got that fixed up yesterday. Oh and by the way, after some very careful research I've been able to determine that the missiles still on the sprue (darker, duller yellow) are from the KingDam bootleg version and the 2 loose missiles (brighter, sharper yellow) are from the real version.

Anways, thought I'd share some pics. I've been experimenting (and usually failing) at getting different lighting tones so excuse the major variability in these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(I like how the shadow in this one looks like a badass weapon or like Powerglide)
    [​IMG]

2. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    thats weird, the gun looks tinted with gold it seems, and the ony ones I have seen with that are blue(arms and leg plastic). interesting. the red one has shinny silver chrome.

3. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

Whoa. Despite how the box looks, I'm impressed at the condition he's in! Nice one.

It's a heck of a weird coincidence I just saw one at the store yesterday though.

4. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll never understand why Hasbro didn't use that guy for Megatron. It looks so much better in bot mode than the P-38.

5. Paradigm-Shift Prime

I've read about the gold tinted vs. more pure chrome (this one is definately the goldish as you say Malach), from where I read it made it sound like the gold-ish one was the red legs and the pure chrome the blue (but it just could have been their sloppy wording order), from this website:

http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/vbrowning.html

Saying this:

"Pre-Tf Browning:

A fun fellow. Released both in blue and red versions(check the inside of the arms while in robot-mode, for example) which also corresponds to the outer-coloring of the chrome (pure chrome vs a more gold-aluminum color). It is thought that the red one is more common. "

If it has it backwards here and the goldish version is from the blue there's a chance mine has been switched over, it did come with backwardly installed arms.

All the little differences of old transformers really interest me, I wonder what the case is for this guy (I had just been hoping it didn't have any kingdam parts subbed in).

6. Sushi Convoy

Sushi Convoy Tying up car

That's a beautiful piece. I got the blue legs version myself a few months ago in immaculate shape. I immediately bought the TF Browning reprolabel set from Wheeljaxx but by the time it came I was so taken by the pristine condition of such an old toy I couldn't bring myself to apply the stickers. I love this toy as it was a huge grail for me for years. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Mine has the "goldish" chrome that is not shiny silver a-la-G1 Megatron. This is the first I've seen of the red version having the goldish chrome (which it clearly does BTW). You may indeed have a "Frankenstein" version... ??

Also, quick question since you had to do an arm switch: Any tips for tightening the swivel joint on his shoulders? The right one is a bit loose on mine and causes him to lose his pose.

Congrats on your acquisition and thanks for sharing the pics!!!

Cheers!
    Sush.

7. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yours is the first gold shade chrome red I have seen. looks to be in fantastic shape and it looks to be authentic. it does have takara markings on it on the right side right? oh it does, kinda hard to see with the lighting.

8. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Thanks! My tip for the swivel joints would be that it's all about the spring. If your spring is there and looks in healthy shape, pop out the shoulder pins, which will make the arm removable, pull the arm off and you're left with that red/blue stump with the screw and spring. Tightening the screw tightens the spring and increases the tightness of the shoulder and how it clicks between positions (mine was a bit too tight, I loosened them a bit while I was at it).

Regarding this 'Frankenstein' version, this is pretty bizarre. Cuz unless you switched the outer chromed parts without the pieces under then all the top half pieces that are red should also be blue to correspond with the goldish chrome. Yet on mine they are red. And the King Dam version has the straight up silver chrome not the goldish chrome right?

For what it's worth (re: kingdam vs. authentic) the yellow of the sight on the top of the gun matches the brigher/bolder yellow of the real loose bullets and not the duller/darker yellow of the Kingdam version still on sprue there (careful attention to the colour differences in the first pic shows)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

wow, it's amazing how the condition of a figure can change your outlook on one. I got a kingdam one, and it was a bit used, but not too bad. however, it only had one gun (I think) and the overall figure was a bit floppy, so I wasn't too impressed. if I could pull off the poses you did, I would've been much happier. maybe I'll be able to fix this...

10. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Please pardon my language, but that is f***ing awesome!!

:eek:  :rock 

How much was it?

11. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Thanks, I think so too!
    Some of you guys might choke me, but $120 shipped.

12. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    D@mn...I don't know...he's cooler than G1 Megs (and more poseable!), and I want one of those (though, I'd settle for the easier to swallow Encore price)...

H3!!, I'd be willing to spend $600 on the Classics Botcon Seekers if I could get my hands on that much money to throw away on toys...

13. Paradigm-Shift Prime

^ He (the real Takara one) often goes for a lot more, I think you'd have trouble finding another for this price. The blue version goes for even more. He is also much smaller than Megs, but yeah cooler in most ways.

I do have my 'Frankenstein' issue pending to figure out though (something, for better or worse, is unique about this figure, with the colour mismatch and coming with backwardly installed arms). He is is really really nice shape though and everything is shiny, barely scratched at all, tight, etc. (parts of him are so tight I had trouble thinking I would break him at first, namely the shoulders, the metal leg swivels, and the back foot parts that pop out the bottom).

14. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Ok, just to clear things up. The Blue legged version should have gold chrome. The red legged version should have the silver chrome. I have three all in the box, two blue and 1 red. I know the sources for two of them and am sure none have been altered. This was also verified by others in the know. I have some pics in my showcase thread.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=141841

I hope this helps.

Oh, one more thing. You are correct about the shades in color on the missiles. The darker yellow should have a different feel to them, kinda cheap like. Those go to the Kingdom Browning. The real Browning missiles are a lighter yellow and have a smoother feel (I don't know how else to explain it). The guns are easy as the Kingdom guns are not chromed, just plain yellow.

15. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Yeah thanks, good summary. Others had stated they felt quite sure of the blue/gold red/silver associations too. Yeah I'm glad someone can confirm the missile thing, though I was pretty darn sure with the pics I had been looking at over and over. Oh and SWEET gun collection by the way, that's the image I dream of as I am trying to pick them up myself. I have been searching for the MC44 Magnum but he seems impossible to find.

The one piece of info still out there: which finish chrome does the Kingdam version have?

I don't know how to explain my red part/gold chrome one here then (all we have is 'should haves', that doesn't explain mine). I'm curious as to the explanation. The arms came installed backwards when I got it, signs that maybe work had been done on him? Maybe there's a small chance he's some sort of falsely-assembled rarity?
    Notably the whole figure is in good condition and the top half seems in similar condition to the bottom half so that just adds to the confusion.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Thats awesome, congrats man. I'd really love to get my hands on Browning some day.

17. Paradigm-Shift Prime

yeah so I looked around everywhere and couldn't find any more info about my hybrid browning i.e. red plastic/gold chrome...

18. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm jealous!! Very very nice!

19. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

man oh man, that is one nice piece! since pictures are being posted, i think i'll post pictures too. mine counts as pre-tf right? :) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :drool: