In-hand RID Voyager Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by process, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
    I paint to!

2. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just don't get Prime's mechtech "gun." It doesn't look like.. anything. Perhaps it would look better in person due to the translucent plastic. But right now I'm not feeling this figure at ALL.

3. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    What a piece of shit. Fuck that stuff, I'm getting the FE!

4. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    To be honest I really like the chest transformation (very interesting engineering), and the shoulders look decent and sturdier than those on FE Optimus. The proportions are decent too. But the gimmicks really ruin an otherwise decent figure. I wouldn't have minded so much if they kept the gimmick strictly to the mechtech-y weapons, but those forearms.... FFFFFF. The back kibble is just unsightly too and feels very lazy and phoned in, as if they spent way too much time on the chest windows and just lost time/interest on making the back kibble transformation better.

If they ever remake this mold, hopefully they give it an unmasked face sculpt, solid plastic forearms, lose the gimmicky weapons and replace them with upgraded FE weapons, correct the colors on the chest, and fix the back kibble so it folds up better, this would be so bought. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with Takara FE Voyager Optimus.

5. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    I got one earlier, & to tell the truth I really like it! It isn't quite as accurate as the FE version in some areas, but it feels like a more fun version to me...though the gun-thing; that is crap.

(note my FE version on the left has been customised, so that's why it looks shinier)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Nice.
    Any chance you could do a side-by-side of the vehicle modes, too.

7. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    First comparison shots between the two Voyager Primes I've seen. Kudos! FE Optimus definitely looks to be the more accurate of the two but also the more delicate. RiD Optimus isn't too bad but yeah, the gimmicks have got to go, and he needs a back kibble and coloration fix to be more show accurate. I'm sure kids will enjoy the RiD version more though, FE for adult collectors.

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks for posting a size comparison. Looks like he's a little bit shorter, meaning he'll be closer to Megatron's size.

9. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Thank goodness this way we can get some scale.

Thanks for the input. I figure I will buy the RID one and just paint the forearms with a red marker or acrylic paint marker and then just paint up the ribs red for accuracy and be good. Or just by the takara version and be done with it (it will probably have a more accurate paint job). To be honoestly the voyagers are pretty awesome it was just the initial shock of change, scale, and minor color scheme issues. all three of these issues can be resolved.

10. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    I dont know, I really like this mold despite the "backpack". I dont have problems with the translucents parts -I actually like this in tf toys- and the guns look great! Plus..that packaging is....T////////////////////T
    Thanks for the gallery!!!!

11. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    FE all the way. More accurate, and just prettier to look at.

12. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yah,FE still rock big time

13. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Superfluous Voyager Prime is superfluous.

14. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I actually dig the way this one looks, and the FE. This one seems more on the playability/exaggerated/bulked up end, which I don't mind.

15. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I agree, having spent a while looking at it in various forms (not found one yet).

I'm looking at it in a similar vein to the DotM voyager Prime - sort of a "super-heroic" version, which I think fits the Prime-verse more than it did Movie-verse, since Prime has a bit of that in it's aesthetic already. With some decent weapons, I think this guy could be damn good fun.

16. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First edition > This monstrosity.

17. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Comparing the two, I'm definitely glad I got the FE. That said, the RID version doesn't look too bad by itself. However, it is (IMO) the lesser of the two figures.

18. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

From what I've seen of it, I'd say the idea behind it was probably based on the way Prime's gun folds out of his forearm in the show...That said, it doesn't quite work, but I can at least kind of see what they might have been going for.

I agree. Out of those two I think Skyquake pulls off this idea of glowing power in the forearms better then the others. Rather then being completely translusent plastic, it's translusent plasic incased inside the forearm.
    I kind wish they had the mind to do that with all of them.

As for Screamer's feet; he does seem to have a little kibble on them. Though personally I'm more ok with that then the cone butt on the Deluxe.

19. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I agree with this. I do want to pick up the FE when it gets wide release as it is a great figure, but I'll pick this one up too. I really like it overall. The back is a flaw, but the rest of the awesome transformation makes up for it. I wish the weapons were more show accurate but I like the idea of him holding the sword more. The gun is pretty meh. And I think some red paint dry brushed over those arms would make for a really cool effect, especially if you keep the place where the weapon pegs in unpainted so the light from the gun can shine into and out of the arms.

Obviously, I don't have either so I can't judge for certain but I do feel the FE is superior to this, but this has enough virtues to be a good overall figure.

20. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Will wait for this piece to go clearance if there will ever be in future.