In g1 transformers is megatron actually galvatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Slone1993, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slone1993

Slone1993 Well-Known Member

i have came across youtube videos an dother sites that alwasy says that megatron and galvatron were two different leaders of the decepticons. they alwasy say rodimus priem and galvatron wee terrible leaders and they say optimus prime an dmegatron were great leaders and here i am thinking werent megatron and galvatron the same guy i even got into a debate inyoutube messaging onyoutube with a guy that says megatron and galvtron wee different people even his character bio in my matrix of leadership booklet that came with the box set made him sound like he was different from megatron. Look i know in the movie galvatron kept his sanity but once he took the bath in the plasma on thrull he became insane. People say they are different just because their voices are different even though voiced by the same voice actor so technically they do have the same voice. they say there different people cause galvatron was more insane and megatron was not. i know in the movie he was more sane and in some seaso 3 episodes galvatron was more sane like in chaos, carnage in c minor, grimlocks new brain, theif in the night the ultimate weapon where he was able to come up with plans to lead the decepticons. so wha is the verdict are g1 megatron and galvatron the same character or completely different bots.

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends on the continuity. In the IDW G1, they are two different guys. Everywhere else, they are the same person.

3. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  4. Slone1993

Slone1993 Well-Known Member

i know they are different people in the comics i just was not too sure in the show?

5. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

In G1, Galvatron was created by rebuilding what was left of Megatron. I think before he went insane, Galvatron knew he was Megatron, bc he was still pretty pissed at Starscream for dumping him overboard. After Galvatron went insane however, I think that's when Galvatron became a separate entity away from Megatron. Any remnant of Megatrons personality was gone when Galvy went nuts.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

This says it all.

7. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

You could argue they are the same 'person', or entity, in the context of the animated movie, as it is clear Galvatron originated from Megatron.
    But not that they are the same character.

Galvatron was aware of his origins as Megatron, but seemed to embrace his new identity wholly, save for the acknowledgement of his strongest achievements: Killing Optimus Prime, command of Cybertron, and toleration of a certain usurper. :D 

'Character' metamorphosis is kind of an abstract concept, and really, Galvatron could be considered a half Megatron and Half Unicron amalgamation.
    He could also be considered a blank slate, reprogrammed by Unicron, corrupted only by Megatron's spark of unwavering defiance, and absolute hunger for power.

Most likely though, many would consider him simply as a tortured Megatron upgraded, motivated forward by new powers, punishment, and a parallel ambition to destroy the Autobots.

Either way, he is at least part Megatron, but at the same time, a separate character. A unique identity, a different representation, with distinct behaviors, features and traits.
    Regardless of the retention of some fundamental motivations.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In the G1 cartoon continuity, he was until season 3 where he went all crazy, that's where his bits and pieces of his Megatron persona went away and was now a totally different character.

9. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Hm I prefer to think he's still Megatron, though a bit crazier.

One of my favorite scenes from the 3rd season was when Galvatron was asking Optimus why he won't tell him what the special metal was for, and Prime replies

"That's because I know you too well Galvatron!"

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not in the original toy specs...

11. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

he said starsceam my foot
    starsceam said megatron

galavtron killed starsceam

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    In the original cartoon, they play it both ways. I'm not sure if even the writers had a clear idea. Like an above poster points out, Galvatron in the movie is still mad at Starscream for his betrayal. But on the other hand, Galvatron in the movie also speaks of Megatron as if he were a separate person. "I will crush Ultra Magnus as Megatron crushed Prime." It's inconsistent and doesn't really make sense. Is he the same person? Anyone could easily make a case for either direction, both, or neither.

It's a cartoon, and I don't think the writers really worried about it too much. I think fans have put much more thought into each of the characters' words in the 25 years since the movie came out than writers did at the time.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    For purposes of characterization, they're separate, but the one character (normally) has his basis in the other.

Galvatron is usually aware of his origin in Megatron, but in most instances, believes HIMSELF to be a separate entity, an ascended form so beyond his origins as Megatron that he finds the comparison offensive. Or maybe he's just had a psychotic breakdown and just THINKS he's a separate person. I think it's kind of a grey area.

14. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

OP:

Here's a hint.

*KABLAAM*

:) 

15. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Never really thought of it that way before. I guess I always just thought of it as Megatron went insane.... and Galvatron was little more than a name change. But, if he's nuts; why wouldn't he just become 100% Galvatron?

So Megatron was also a fatality of TFTM.

"Depending on a certain point of view."

16. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

I always thought they were the same person/robot.

17. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    How is this idea any different than is Orion Pax actually Optimus Prime? They both had different personalities after their change.

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    One could argue that Orion Pax was a different person, since Optimus Prime was rebuilt using parts from other robots as well.

Of course, one could also argue this is the same as an organ transplant, but people tend to keep the same name after those.

19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

No, in the movie it is crystal clear that Megatron is Galvatron is Megatron. In that scene, Galvatron is simply referring to Megatron in the 3rd person (or would that be 4th person? :lol )

But really, considering the trransformation from Megs to Galvatron happens right in front of our eyes then there really can be no doubt.

20. Tyrant

Tyrant Zombie

Galvatron is Megatron. He just becomes mentally unstable at some point. That probably happens when you're revamped and upgraded by the Chaos Bringer himself. The power comes at a price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.