in armada mortal combat did optimus become nemesis prime during the fight?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GENOZAUR, Mar 17, 2009.

1. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

YouTube - Transformers Armada: Mortal Combat 2

that whole scene at 103 where it shows optimus walking out of the darkness through that hole in the wall galvatron made whis hs tank cannon backfired and blasted him through it is it just me or has his colorsceme changed to more of a ridscourge/car-robots,black dark convoy/armada,universe,idw nemesis prime colorscheme

for that matter did they ever explain what it was exactly that caused the colorchange?

was it perhaps caused by his channeling his inner darkside as a so called forbidden strength to his person that caused him to power up with the changing colorscheme at the time or what?

2. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    Not Nemesis Prime, Powerlinx Optimus Prime. First news of the repaint I believe had the name "Final Battle Optimus Prime"

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Been a while since I've watched that... so awesome.

I think it's easily the best Prime/Megatron final battle. Ever. And yes, that includes the '86 movie... this fight is much heavier, much more desperate... and even the banter is better. And it's from Armada of all things! :) 

I would go as far as to say it's probably the best showdown fight of ANY Transformers media. Has anyone got anything else that comes close?

zmog

4. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    One of my favorite Prime/Megs fight,and yea that's Powerlinx Optimus.

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    BW, 'Code of Hero'. 'Nuff said.

Superlink, 'Ressurrection! Galvatron' Galvatrons speech about zombies and how he knows he's alive while taking on Scorponok for leadership of the Decepticons. Great stuff. The Energon dub cut the fight down, toned it down in the dub, and completely removed Megatrons speech.

BWNeo, 'Mysterious Beast Warriors'/'The Stolen Capsules'. The smackdown the Blendtrons dish out is just brutal. BRU-TAL.

Car Robots, the last three episodes. Not as gritty as the others, but it's a battle where the Autobots can't possibly lose to one they can't win. RiD edited it, toned it down, and completely rewrote the story (Which they had been doing all along, like how they neutered Ultra Magnus' character and dropped the whole second Matrix; since the last three episodes were a culmination of plot lines that had been dropped or dubbed around, the ending wouldn't have made sense if they hadn't altered it anyway, but even so, they changed what happened, probably to "protect" the kids from seeing characters tortured to death.)

As to the Armada fight itself, it was gritty, but the voice acting just wasn't up to par IMHO. Given the range and emoting we know they're capable of, they just seem flat, like they're discussing it over a meal rather then during a fight to the finish. Maybe that's just me, but it's all over the UT, and supposedly most of the time the VA's didn't know what was going on when they were recording the lines.

6. SMOG

Yeah, I do agree about the line delivery... way too mild and jocular. But the dialog itself was pretty good. I don't know how different it is in the original Japanese version.

I'll have to check out some of the original versions of some of those other fights you mention... thanks! :) 

zmog

7. TwentyFourth

TwentyFourth Banned

News Credits:
    Crappy mid-90s CGI? No thank you.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    It's still better then the CGI Energon and Cybertron used since at lease BW had expressions that were more than "dull surprise"

And just so I can't be countered by the fact expressions were plenty in the scene where Megs is corrupting Inferno, those shots aren't CGI, they're hand drawn.

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    :throw 

10. TwentyFourth

TwentyFourth Banned

News Credits:
    They all sucked IMO.

G1 was good, the Japanese shows were good, the movie was fun.

Beast Wars sucked, so did Energon.

11. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    to be fair at the time BW was trend setting and frankly if your poo pooing BW because it does not look up to scratch with what we have now your being too harsh try making something better with a PC and software from the mid to late 90's and you might find out how hard they must have worked. Also the storys are well worth putting up with it if its only the looks that put you off

back on topic. No that was not Nemesis Prime it was the Final Battle colours

12. TwentyFourth

TwentyFourth Banned

News Credits:
    Meh. Not interested at all in Monkey Prime and Barneytron.

13. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I thought the Galaxy Force episode where Starscream takes on all the Autobots single-handedly, and WINS, was a piece and a half of great fighting.

14. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow. Just... wow. I guess everything's not for everyone. Beast Wars is generally considered the best written Transformers series. It's rare to find someone who watched it and didn't like it...

You... ah.. did watch it, right? I know back then (I was a newly married man) I was really apprehensive, but once you get past the first few episodes, it become a pure addiction. Sure, there's some goofy episodes in the first season, but still...

Chris

15. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Fuck, even the goofy ones you have to snicker at!

16. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    Best voice acting goes to that episode of superlink where Scorponok is tied to an asteroid while it penetrates the energon grid. His death scream was terrific. It is just a pity he turned out to have not died in the next episode.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I quite like the desert fight between Ginrai and Overlord in Masterforce where Ginrai is left for dead after having his ass handed to him.

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Getting back to the topic...

Optimus was in his final battle Powerlinx colours during the fight.

HOWEVER, the whole point of the Sideways / Unicron conversation in the previous episode is that there is a darker side to Optimus Prime, one that loves fighting. Mortal Combat has that side come to the surface. Nemesis Prime is the representation of what Optimus Prime could be if he were completely consumed by hatred and Unicron. So when Optimus truly loses it in the final fight, you're seeing him "becoming" Nemesis in a more metaphysical way.

I wonder if there is something more in the Japanese version on the subject or if that is the full extent of the parallel?

19. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess that feeds into why he threw away the matrix and put Hotshot in charge

20. SMOG

Yeah, that's sort of what I got from it. It was a pretty dramatic gesture, and it was an interesting idea to see Prime depicted as a character with a dark past, one that clashes with his reputation as a healer and a peacemaker. The idea that this Prime is the one that Megatron remembers from way back is cool.

Though there's still not really any explanation for why he changed colours spontaneously...

zmog