Improving Computer Performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Omega Supreme-1, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey guys, I was wondering if there was anything out there software wise that could enhance a computers performance? I already do spyware and virus sweeps often. I used chkdsk from time to time to check on my hard drive. I clean up this with the disk defragmenter and I used Disk clean up also. Though I was wondering if there was anything else I could possibly be doing to make my computer run smoother. It's been a recent issue, that it hasn't been performing as well as it used to. Like for example, I'm having trouble with Gunbound Revolution which used to run smoothly. Now it lags horribly even though my connection is exactly the same. My AOL Radio runs smoothly with no fuck ups at all though.

2. KillBot

KillBot Well-Known Member

Before I play Battlefield I shut all unnecessary programs such as instant messengers and antivirus.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    If you have AOL, get rid of it.

Buy more RAM.

4. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a love for AOL actually and a need actually. RAM isn't really an option it's a laptop and I already have 2 gigs. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with an Intel Pentium M Processor 2.00 ghz, then it says 1.99 ghz for some reason, and then finally my 2 GB of RAM.

5. KillBot

KillBot Well-Known Member

Just curious - what do you need AOL for?

This is normal.

6. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a complicated matter, in part to my roleplaying community. I don't pay full price for AOL either which is another reason I keep it.

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    AOL is a resource hog, and is the devil.

Did you start having the problems after an AOL upgrade or something like that?

8. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not really sure to be honest when it started...I'll give Gunbound a try later without having AOL on and see if that makes a difference.

9. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

just disable what ever services you dont need from computer management.

10. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Try using Tuneup Utilities

It cleans up all the junk registry files that could hamper PC performance. And as an added bonus it can defrag your registry. I find it helps, you can d/l a fully funtional 30 day version from Download.com

11. butz

butz slippery when wet

Yeah, just use common sense though when shutting stuff off or getting rid of stuff; gf's little brother wanted to make room for some game he was playing (Diablo II, I think) and decided it would be a good idea to delete the System32 folder.

12. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wipe it clean and start over...seriously.

13. Omega Supreme-1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why don't you start over on this board except this time bring a cheery disposition kthnxbye...my personal choices are my own, if I want AOL then who is anyone else to judge, and nothing you say can make me change my mind...so you might as well open mouth and insert foot...now if you have some, I dunno, helpful advice that doesn't involve being a complete dick then i'd like it...once again kthnxbye

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Um... he wasn't being a dick. That's a valid strategy that a lot of people use to get their computers running faster. It's drastic, but it takes care of everything at once.

15. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yeah that really was uncalled for. Like FP said, it's a very common solution to fix pretty much any problem you have. Even if I don't have problems I at least wipe my system clean once a year. Its always good to start new.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    It's what I do. I could either spend GOD knows how long defragging stuff, moving files around, and who knows what else, or once ever couple of months I could simply put the image of my system drive back on. Take about an hour.

17. Laquah

Laquah Wanna be a Canadian Idiot TFW2005 Supporter

What files/programs had you downloaded/installed recently? One could be a virus, resource hog, etc...
    Do you use more than one virus scanner? Most aren't 100% effective.

Go through every single process running on your computer and make sure you know what each one is doing. (Get rid of the ones you don't need)

If that fails...it's always best to start over.

18. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Its hard to judge sometimes ESPECIALLY on a forum what is meant by a statement. I dont think however that he meant to be insulting a complete reformat works wonders on your system. Its a good idea, if you have a large HDD (100 GB or so could be smaller doesnt matter) partition a small part of it 25 GB or so for your OS and then use the rest to store your files and whatnot. That way when you have to reformat you only have to format the OS partition. :D 

19. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:

THAT is some good advice, when I get around to starting over, I think I might take advantage of that idea... Thanks!

20. Primal

Primal Veteran

News Credits:
    This may not be related to your problem but my sister has an Inspiron 5100 and it has performance problems as well. Turns out due to a design flaw the system collects dust and overheats which slows down the performance greatly. Give this utility a try to see what the temp of your system is at: http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

I checked and it's compatible with the 6000. My sisters laptop runs right now at 50C, (highest I noticed it go was 66C). Forcing the fan to go into high speed mode is bringing down the temp to 44 and dropping. I read that the normal operating temp is in the 30's... the lowest I ever saw it was 29 I believe and that was after coming out of hibernation.. It's now running at 38-39C with the fan still on high speed.