Impressions on Jolt (Deluxe)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Autobot Blasty, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Autobot Blasty

Autobot Blasty Member

All right...this may sound strange, but to me, Jolt, in some ways, doesn't feel like he fits as snugly into the ROTF line as the other figures. Let me explain.

The vehicle mode is nice enough, and works with the others, but the robot mode...no, it's not bad, and it's fairly good in terms of articulation and design(I'll be damned if I know how accurate it is to the CG model since we see so little of his robot mode and there apparently is no promo art of the character)...but some elements don't click with the movie aesthetic. For example, the way his roof's halves form his arms, and the fact that the inner arms themselves are a bit blocky...or the fact that his upper legs consist of the back part of the car window and the feet are formed from the halves of the rear bumper.

What I'm saying is that the toy feels like it's from another toyline, such as Cybertron, but is trying to fit into ROTF desperately.

I also noticed that proportionally, he's a bit off next to the other figures. I held one of my other Deluxes next to him for a comparison, and not only is Jolt's head a fair bit larger than most others, his upper torso is wider than usual, too.

Maybe it's just me, but these elements of the toy just kind of threw me a bit.

2. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

Jolt is garbage imo. but I think its cuz the design team had far less time to design him than with the other figures. but who knows.

3. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    To me he feels just a step up from the sadness that was Deluxe Jazz. Honestly I believe its because..

After all, it is said Bay threw him in 'at the last minute', however 'last minute' you can get with a moving cg render and toy to go with it, a FAB as well.

Regardless, I have to agree with my disappointment with the figure. I really like Jolt for his very clean & blue design in the film, and the obscurity helps a lot for some reason. But the figure is fail on many levels. The character onscreen was a very solid form in comparison to his Deluxe toy incarnaiton. The back kibble/flaps kill any decent outline he should have, I'm considering removing them and setting them away in the box'o'pieces. I just can't find a proper way of setting them in the same 'typical Autobot door-wings' position that were shown in the flick. His legs are a bit odd. In reality they're not the solid, stubby thunderthigh'd trunks the Jazz figure suffered from, but they sure pull off the visual feel of the same. If the window parts to them had, for example, rotated to back or folded in on one of the sides, a major improvement would have been achieved. I'd say the unmoving pincer hands don't do much to help his situation, but those actually match well his movie design. But the biggest let down has to be his electro-whips. Dinky little pointed pieces of plastic. They look like simplistic claw-blades or something. I dunno how to put it. They just disappoint, and highly. It's his one supposed kickassedness, and it isn't pulled off well in the slightest. Good points would probably be coloring, and the car itself. Looks very nice. The head is another oddity, though. I kind of like the look of it for him, though yes its clearly a movie face design which I don't tend to be crazy about, but it doesn't seem to match his screen head much at all. In-movie the head is mostly curved into a slight angle/point straight back, nothing substantial. However the toy has these points & upward crests going on. The face & chin seem similar enough to be a good match, though.

The only reason I picked him up is I like having a figure representation of a character for the collection, and I have to think that due to the obscurity, the last minute addition to the cast, and the idea that he's pretty much just there so that in the end he can help bond Jetfire's corpse to Prime mean he won't be getting a better role or new figure come the third installment, and I'd rather pay the approximate ten bucks now rather than secondary market jacked up prices later.

4. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I agree he's crap for all the reasons already mentioned.

Hakka.

5. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i just bought one..like 10 min ago...damn.......hope i like him better than yall.....ehhh either way...i would get him..im a sucka

6. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Wow. I'm kind of surprised by the hate for Jolt here. I picked him up today and think he's pretty cool. He's not the best ROTF deluxe figure but he is hardly the worst. The fact that I got a free RPM Ironhide figure (w/ Target coupon) doesn't hurt either.

7. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I haven't been impressed by any of the pics I've seen of him. While it IS hard to really judge how accurate he is, since he didn't get much screen time.... I still don't think he's very accurate. Personally I'm gonna wait and see if he gets a better representation for the 3rd movie. If not, it's no major loss to me.

8. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

I bet you don't even have him.

...and it's obvious you don't either.

However, I do, and with or without my mods, Jolt's figure is definately one of the best ROTF deluxes imo. Much better articulation and stability than the rest of the line. You cannot expect a character, that was only shown for 15 seconds in the movie, to have the most screen-accurate mold. Hell, Prime had way more screen time in the first movie, and look at how in-accurate his first voyager and leader class figures were. All in all, Jolt is a cool figure, with good articulation, and the pictures of him, do not do him enough justice. His biggest drawbacks are his simple transformation, and for people who don't have the tools to mod, the grey collar behind his head (which restricts his head articulation). His robot mode, while "weird" looking, has good articulation, balance. With the doors being so articulated, he has a variety of looks that he can assume.

9. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I agree with the startpost : Jolt's robot mode is good, but it kinda sticks out from the other movie designs. I think it would fit better in Universe.

ROTF Breakaway/Thrust would also fit in Universe imo, but that's only because the mold is somewhat simplified at Deluxe size. If he were Voyager sized, the design would
    be pure movieverse style.

10. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

No, I don't. I didn't buy him because I thought he looked out of place next to the other figures, he looks like he belong in another line to me. I only care about bot mode, not the transformation or vehicle mode. I'm going to pick up Skids instead.

Hakka.

11. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I am not overly impressed by him. The head sculpt just seems odd to me, I don't know what it is, but it is strange. He is a little too blocky all around, and the stuff on his back that sticks up behind his head seems unneeded, and hurts a little bit of his headmovement (I think, don't have him in front of me right now). That being said, I do like his legs, and finally found a pose (on one knee with the whips hitting the ground infront of him) that looks pretty good with the rest of my Movie display, but that head just bugs me. To each their own.

12. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    At first I didn't like his looks..he looks good in cgi, the whole 5 seconds he's in the movie :lol , but it seemed to mee the toy was inaccurate with all the window panels on his arms and legs...

He's growing on me though, and I'll get him, I'm sure of that.

I can tell you what's strange: the fact that his eyes are blue plastic that, unless lit up by light shining from behind/above, are much, MUCH darker than the glowy eyes the Transformers regularly have. Because of this, the toy seems to have puppy or insect eyes, which sort of ruins the look of the head.

It's a common shortcoming on most TF toys, and it's why I prefer they'd just paint the eyes over with a light blue!

13. IronhidePrime

IronhidePrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like him, only complaint is his head is limited

14. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    And myself?

Eh, most of his stability comes from the feet, of which aren't too far a cry away from his movie design more or less. I'd say his articulation is no better or worse than many of the Deluxe figures.

The fact he was a late addition, so late that most Autobot vehicle scenes don't include him at all, pretty much guarantees that. And between the deactivation of NEST scene, the final battle in the desert sequence, and the bonding of Jetfire to Prime, fifteen seconds or more is plenty of screentime to take in a robotic design. But, back to screen accuracy...

According to an interview with Jared Wade, one of the leads for the team in charge of bringing the movie designs to toy form, the deal with Optimus of the last line (the Leader Class) was that they were working off of a more preliminary design layout for Prime, meanwhile his onscreen rendering was undergoing alterations/changes. This angle rings true to the fact that Jolt was last minute.

15. Autobot Blasty

Autobot Blasty Member

I don't quite get all the hatin' on Jolt. It is not a "bad" figure by any stretch of the imagination. It looks a bit out of place with the others, but that doesn't make it phail. Also, a simple transformation doesn't mean it's a bad toy...I'd rather something that's relatively easy to convert than, say, the nightmare that is the new Camaro BB's chest/hood (it's STILL difficult for me to TF that). Yeah, he's a bit more kibble-y than many of the designs. And I'm sure Hasbro had little if any time to whip up a salable figure based on the limited window in which they added the character.

And many of the toys are based on the pre-production or prototype models/art, and they don't all suck. Leader Megs is awesome in my book, even if his right arm isn't accurate to the final design.

Also, no love for Deluxe Jazz? I liked that figure. Woefully inaccurate lower half, yes, but it wasn't an atrocity against mankind. I swear, fans are so whiny. If you want inaccurate toys with limited or no articulation and excessive kibble, look no further than G1 and some of the Beast Wars toys.

16. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I still plan on getting him, as I want at least one toy of every character that was in the movie.

But I'm starting to get sick of seeing all these "how is so-and-so" or "your opinions on...", etc. There's a whole forum just for that. It's the Feedback Forum. That's what it's there for. People need to stop posting their thoughts and stuff or asking for other's thoughts here in Toy Discussion. Granted, It IS toy discussion, but that kind is what the Feedback Forum's for!

17. Autobot Blasty

Autobot Blasty Member

Deluxe Jolt is most likely far, far better than the FAB.

...although, fossilized polar bear turds are better than FABs.

18. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i got him today and i like him alot more than i though......hes bulky, strong looking, stable standing, posable...the only think i don't like...his awsome looking hands arent too viewable from the car roof in bot mode and his head only rotates a bit.............but hands down in my opinion one of the better looking bot modes....but thats just me. :) 

19. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Autobot Blasty

Autobot Blasty Member

Nice pics. BTW, I've found, for those of you unhappy about the "wings" interfering with articulation, that you can fold them up behind the car hood on his back to give him a better range of movement.