Importation taxes

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MACRAPTRON, Feb 16, 2010.

1. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After 2 months of waiting, this bad boy finally arrived at home. It took 2 months because of the lazy, corrupt customs of my country.
    Apparently it arrived in a week, from Japan to Brazil, and then 1 month and 3 weeks at customs.
    Not only they're extremely lazy, but real a$$holes. According to them, the item was undervalued by Amazon JP. It costed me 158 USD, customs said the 'fair' price would be 173 USD.
    So I got import taxes of $170, an 'administrative tax' of $25 (WTF is that?) and a 'penalty' of $80 for a grand total of beautiful $275 in money to the government.

I had to call DHL (the only international shipping method Amazon JP uses) to provide document and phone numbers, and if I didn't do that they would simply ship back and/or destroy the item.

Then again this is Brazil, the worst place in the world to be a collector of Transformer toys. Anyone else with trouble importing stuff?

Attached Files:

2. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Holy crap. That sucks

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Damn that sucks majorly

4. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man I feel kind of bad bitching about the $30 customs fees I paid on him last week in Canada.

What is the penalty for? Seeing as you can only buy the set from Amazon Japan, who are they to say what it should be sold for. Can you fight the fees?

5. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's possible, but it would take months for a response, usually negative.
    I'm fine with the import taxes - which are officially set at 60%. But the other stuff like administrative taxes are absurd. AND the penalty this time, which is absolutely up to them - whenever they feel like taxing something, they come up with a legal excuse and will do it.

What pisses me off is that whoever decided the item was undervalued did with absolutely NO criteria. From $158 to $173, there's $15. He could simply go to the Amazon Japan site and check for the item since in theory I'm paying the customs for this 'hard' task of re-valuing the item as described in the customs form that I got.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm glad I live in America.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    so basically you paid for it twice over? ouch no offense but for that reason I'm glad i don't live Brazil. well Enjoy it as you sure deserve to after all you had to pay for it.

8. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

We have a similar situation here in Serbia, but since they lowered the threshold value that was elligible to paying importation tax to 1/5 of the former threshold, I've spaced my orders to fall within that limit. The limit was lowered from 100 euros (about 125 USD) to 20 euros. For all orders and shipment above that limit, I have to pay added 20% import fee and on that gross amount additional 18% for value added tax.

That means that for an item worth 100 USD I have to pay additional 41.6 USD.

And that is for an item sent through regular post office services. For items that are sent through courier services (like UPS, DHL, FedEx..) I have to pay the local courier service company a fee for supplying the needed documentation for the import of the said items. That means that foreign courier companies deliver the goods to the border, and some local courier service NEEDS to pick it up, but only with proper documentation, which entails a additional hefty fee of 50 euros on my part.

9. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    I am sorry about that.

Here in Peru is complicated too. A lot of corrupt agents and people who think they are doing a favor instead of working.

Here we have to pay a fee of 34% for any item which is more than $100. If so, they don't calculate over the normal price, they add the shipping cost to calculate so you get a bigger price tax, plus, the "declaration" tax, and you have to deposit the money in a bank the same day.

10. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

You only paid $8 in customs fees though. The other $22 was taxes.

11. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always mark stuff as gifts when shipping overseas. Wow, that was a ton of money.. sorry man

12. Razorclaw

I forgot to mention this. They do that as well here.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Yea, I don't think I could live outside the US while being involved with this hobby. It's all of the custom fees and taxes on top of the hefty shipping costs. Couple that with the ridiculous amount of time it takes for packages to reach certain destinations (Chile, Brazil, etc.), it almost doesn't seem worth it.

14. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Sweden adds 25% taxes to the value+shipping, but they will let items usually under 40USD slip by without getting hit with any.

This is the reason why I shipp big and expensiv stuff with express mail and with a lower value.

So If I buy stuff worth of 200USd +50 in shipping It will be 250*1,25= 250+63 for a total of 313USD and then they add some administration fees for like 15 USD aswell.

15. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    Might just be cheaper in the long run to move to America. Yipes...

16. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    Brutal man, sorry to hear it.
    Yeah, I'm getting hit with little $8-10 taxes recently... esp. from BBTS or something which isn't clearly a 'gift'.

Can anyone enlighten me why heaps of Ebay auctions don't send anything to Italy? What's going on there?

17. Razorclaw

This is the main reason why I laugh my ass off every time some butt-hurt fan from US complains about a 2-3 dollar increase in price.

18. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    If I was still using sigs, this would be mine.

Sorry to hear about the customs situation in Brazil, it's freaking absurd. Here in Greece I usually get hit by customs once or twice per year, and that's for enormous packages, not costly ones.

Twice in a row I've had shipments from BBTS stay in customs for OVER a month, and then I had to pay over 100 euros for them. And that was for orders barely reaching 200 USD in value.

Once a humongous box [both in size and value] slipped by, just like that. Two huge hot toys figures packed together, total value over 500 USD. Just came by, no tax or anything. And sometimes packages of 60 USD stay in customs for a week and I have to pay for them.

19. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    they do that too on certain extend here in Indonesia, any package under 50usd are free of custom, but they do charge you about 80 cents for 'repackaging cost' (they check every item coming in - a waste of plastics - save the earth)

above 50 they start counting the shipping cost and after deducting 50 usd they add three different kind of tax in, so the equation would be

item value ((cost+shipping)-50usd)*32.5%=your tax

20. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    THIS!