Customs: Important lesson

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Katamari Prime, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Here's the story so far:
    I'm attempting to make a Con repaint of classics Mirage with a classics Rodimus's gun attached to the useless blue back piece (Rocket engine, Handle broke off, shaved down to fit, why I need the milliput)and some scrap wire I found during the store remodel (Have to figure how that's going to work. Any way, I figured the colors were fine (Black, white, Purple), But I found an interesting/Near disaterous problem. I used Krylon Fusion black to start off, figuring it would be fine to paint over. However, when I added to purple(Pactra Candy Purple), things took a very bad turn. First it didn't show on the black paint, but more alarmingly cracks and run started to show on the paint! I managed to salvage what I had done and re did the black parts (Acetone helped remove most of it, Bonds to plastic my butt!). I think I can still do the purple with games workshop handpainted (that's always available, and many shades to choose from) and the white parts are doing fine. Any ideas, or should I not tempt fate again? and am I the only one this has happened to?

2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not saying you didn't, but one thing about Fusion is that you have to follow the directions.....I dont have a can right in front of me, but I think it says something like recoat within one hour or you have to wait seven days for the paint to "cure" before you can add another coat....

I know from experience...I was painting an Alt using Fusion....I lost track of time, and when I remembered it was past the one hour mark.....I figured it would be o.k. to do it anyway....boy was I wrong....the paint immediately wrinkled all over.

And yes, you can remove Fusion....I've made mistakes before, and when I do, I immediately put the piece in alcohol to start the paint removal process....it'll come off every time....

I've never tried it, but it may be a little harder to remove after the seven day period....the ingredient in Fusion that helps it bond to plastic is the same ingredient found in plastic model cement.

3. plowking

News Credits:
    I'm not saying you didn't, but one thing about Fusion is that you have to follow the directions.....I dont have a can right in front of me, but I think it says something like recoat within one hour or you have to wait seven days for the paint to "cure" before you can add another coat....

I know from experience...I was painting an Alt using Fusion....I lost track of time, and when I remembered it was past the one hour mark.....I figured it would be o.k. to do it anyway....boy was I wrong....the paint immediately wrinkled all over.

And yes, you can remove Fusion....I've made mistakes before, and when I do, I immediately put the piece in alcohol to start the paint removal process....it'll come off every time....

I've never tried it, but it may be a little harder to remove after the seven day period....the ingredient in Fusion that helps it bond to plastic is the same ingredient found in plastic model cement.

4. Katamari Prime

Well, the Fusion paint and the Purple were about a week-10 days apart and this happened ( Busy/ tired) that was part of the alarming thing.

5. Katamari Prime

Well, the Fusion paint and the Purple were about a week-10 days apart and this happened ( Busy/ tired) that was part of the alarming thing.

6. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

when I started my first repaint (alt Grimmy) I used no primer and Fusion, that didnt turn out well, mostly, i thought, due to inexperience; my next one an alt skids repaint had the same results with fusion, wrinkling and vaining. Ever since I've stuck to krylon or testors primer and testors paint, and havent had any issues since. An added bonus Testors has much more variety inn the color dept..

7. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

when I started my first repaint (alt Grimmy) I used no primer and Fusion, that didnt turn out well, mostly, i thought, due to inexperience; my next one an alt skids repaint had the same results with fusion, wrinkling and vaining. Ever since I've stuck to krylon or testors primer and testors paint, and havent had any issues since. An added bonus Testors has much more variety inn the color dept..

8. Katamari Prime

Hmm, That may be the problem, no primer. I'll just have to live with things as they are with this one, do the hand painting (With masking tape), and remember that with my Roddy KB. (Side note, contact Reprolabels)

9. Katamari Prime

Hmm, That may be the problem, no primer. I'll just have to live with things as they are with this one, do the hand painting (With masking tape), and remember that with my Roddy KB. (Side note, contact Reprolabels)

10. plowking

News Credits:
    Hmmmm.....I'm stumped....was it clean when you painted it?....free from dirt and oil/grease from being "handled"?

11. plowking

News Credits:
    Hmmmm.....I'm stumped....was it clean when you painted it?....free from dirt and oil/grease from being "handled"?

12. Katamari Prime

I was pretty sure it was, but you never can tell. Perhaps a plastic bag for the dried parts as well?

13. Katamari Prime

I was pretty sure it was, but you never can tell. Perhaps a plastic bag for the dried parts as well?

14. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Ya gotta wash it in warm soapy water 'n giver a real good rinse !
    If it looks clean - wash it anyway.
    Was it humid outside when you sprayed ? ....hot, dry days are always the best.
    Even slight humidity can kill your spray job.

15. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Ya gotta wash it in warm soapy water 'n giver a real good rinse !
    If it looks clean - wash it anyway.
    Was it humid outside when you sprayed ? ....hot, dry days are always the best.
    Even slight humidity can kill your spray job.

16. Katamari Prime

That might also explain why the white parts looked speckled, Another lesson learned!
    Where I live, It's called the High Desert for a reason, and painting on cloudy days or wet days I know not to do fortunately.

17. Katamari Prime

That might also explain why the white parts looked speckled, Another lesson learned!
    Where I live, It's called the High Desert for a reason, and painting on cloudy days or wet days I know not to do fortunately.

18. plowking

News Credits:
    Exactly!....and I also found that it's good to remove the factory paint too....for some reason, the new paint you put on it doesnt like the factory paint apps....

19. plowking

News Credits:
    Exactly!....and I also found that it's good to remove the factory paint too....for some reason, the new paint you put on it doesnt like the factory paint apps....

20. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've used Fusion White on a Wheeljack repaint and Red on an Alt Skids->Ironhide repaint, and haven't had any wrinkling or veining. My first time using it I had the problems you mentioned, but you need to know how to use Fusion.

You can't put it on like normal spray paint. Follow these rules with Fusion and I'd bet you'd get good results:

- Spray the part from at least 1 foot away, and only do ONE pass. All you're looking to get is a mist of paint on the part.

- Wait ~ 5 minutes before giving it another pass. You'll probably have to repeat this a couple times more; you should NOT be getting complete coverage with only 3 or 4 passes. LIGHT MISTS! NOT COATS!

It's a bitch, and the texture is mirror smooth, but it does make one hell of a bond after a week of dry time.