Impact of Swine Flu Outbreak on Botcon

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by llamatron, Apr 27, 2009.

1. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just touched down in the UK and there's all kinds of warning against travelling to the USA / Mexico. Given Pasadena's proximity to Mexico (i.e. relatively close) this could be an issue for people coming in from overseas heading to Bocton. Worth keeping an eye on.

2. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

YEa i just heard about it on the radio this morning on the way to work. FUN TIMES!

3. Master Zarak

Master Zarak Emperor of Destruction

Ebay:
    Gimme a break. 20 Americans confirmed to be infected with this pig flu, and mass hysteria occurs. Meanwhile, 36,000 Americans die each year from typical influenza and nobody cares.

Perspective people.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
  5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Fanboy stench requires that I wear a surgical mask anyway, so it's fine.

6. Galvatro

Galvatro Make mine Animated! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Hello All!

I've been following the Swine Flu outbreaks and was wondering about BotCon also. I guess we all will have to take a chance. After all, the Con just got WAY better with the announcement of Weird Al's attendance and I can't miss that!

Galvatro

7. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Of course anyone who is actually sick & contageous when BC rolls around should do everyone else a favor and stay home. Swine flu or whatever they have...

8. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sense. This makes some.

9. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Don't listen to the media, they're morons.

Swine Flu is a big April Fools joke (of course I don't mean that literally). It's another strain of flu. Nothing new. The Influenza virus mutates and evolves CONSTANTLY. I keep hearing "but there's no cure for this." There's no cure for the "regular" flu either. Do people not realize that that flu shot they take... is them giving you the flu? You create the immunity yourself.

Anyway. Swine Flu is hardly the pandemic it's made out to be. It's pretty much equivalent to the terror brought on by Tsunamis and how we have to prevent them hype from a couple years back. Only that event actually killed a bunch of people.

I've never received a flu shot and I've still never come down with the flu. There's absolutely nothing to worry about. Wash your hands and you'll be fine.

10. llamatron

News Credits:
    More concern is not with the actual disease but rather the hassle and troubles of travel (particularly with airlines) and the problems people might have.

11. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Watch somebody running around Botcon with Swine Flu, licking everything he wants.

"MIB Overlord?! *lick* MINE! Prototype of G2 toy never made? *lick* MI-*coughhack*-NE!"

12. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  I'd almost be worth it. :D 

13. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This whole Swine Flu thing is rediculous. We had the same kind of panic for SARS and that killed less people worldwide than the common flu kills in a single province of Canada each year.

14. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Everybody knows the media is blowing this out of proportion so no one will notice the evil things our government is doing. It's all a distraction.

15. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I have to ask....

I realize that a lot of people make this joke, but after hearing it so many times, it can't really be a joke then.

So...is it true? Are there some funky people at the 'Con?

16. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Let's see how do I put it..... God yes!!! I've been going to Botcon for 10 years now and every year someone comes to the booth who utterly reeks!! I mean the hotels even provide soap!!!!

17. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Oh yes. Though it should be emphasized some. Usually you can tell by how they look-- if they look unkempt of sorts, STAY AWAY and just wait a little longer to get in line or something, it's not worth it. The funky-smelling ones are usually really obese, as well, at least from my experience.

It really is quite amazing how accurate the nerd stereotype is-- I'd say 80-90% accurate, judging by Botcons. (And I'm saying this sort of fitting one of the main stereotypes myself-- lanky, tall, white, fairly bad acne, glasses. That said, I still bathe and whatnot-- I just have tried friggin' everything on my acne and it won't. Go. Away.)

18. llamatron

News Credits:
    :lol  :lol  :lol  Yeah I heard they're using this as the perfect cover for rushing through gay marriage and an evolution based curriculum in high school biology. :lol  :lol  :lol 

It's important to keep flu outbreaks like this closely monitored because thanks to air travel and all that they can spread globally at an alarming rate into regions that wouldn't have been previously affected blah blah blah TL;DR

19. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I had no idea...

Well, fits with my experience at TRU many, many years ago.

A guy behind me (fitting your descriptiom Beastbot, minus the height. This guy was 5'4" at the absolute best.) was buying a model of the Titanic and he walked up behind me to wait in in line and he looked a little mangy, but nothing out of the ordinary considering the music of the time.

...then he reached out to grab a candy bar off the rack, spun around so as to not lose his spot in line, and put the stuff up on the counter to pay for it. The body odor was so intense that as soon as it hit the air, the cashier starting choking. She turned purple and grabbed a waste bucket. She almost tossed it, but somehow regained her composure at the last second.

She looked at me with tears in her eyes (we've all been there, no matter how big and strong you might be, when the chuck wants to up, you're gonna at least tear up.) and rasped out "Sorry. I'll finish your transaction now."

So I'm handing her the cash and she's typing in how much the cash is, and he bends down to tie his shoe, with his ass facing us.

...it literally smelled like he'd not only just taken a shit, but had masturbated as well. (No, I am not kidding, the smells are distinctive, you couldn't miss it.) And at this point the cashier's starting to get a bit purple again.

He then stands up again, which whooshes the B.O. back her way, and that was it. She grabbed that waste basket and she threw up like her life depended on it. She hurled so hard you could see she was almost convulsing.

All the while I'm just standing against the register on the other side of the lane, holding my mouth (so I don't throw up, and don't smell him) and wait for her to finish. Her manager comes over and takes over the transaction and tells her to go take a break (he wasn't angry, he felt so much pity.)

He hands me my change and tells me to have a nice day.

I wait by the doors to see his transaction with Mr. Wonderful and he says "I don't know if this is a prank, a joke, or just terrible hygiene you're trying to pull here, but it's disgusting, it's disruptive, and it gives me the right to refuse service and ask you to leave. However, you've been quiet throughout the whole thing and rather than have a scene with you, I'm going to finish this sale and ask you to leave. Immediately."

The guy called him some kind of a cock (I dunno, it was seriously stupid) and took his model and his candy bar and stormed out.

And this is all true. (Sadly)

I said all of that to say this: I now realize that Botcon is full of stinky people (not full as in everyone there, but enough to fill a room at least) and that I will not be attending for that reason alone. (the other reasons being much more sensible swayed me from ever going)

That, and I wanted to tell that story. I love it. It's one of my favorites, no matter how gross it is. :D 

20. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FUCK SWINE FLU!!!!!!!!

Couple notes here for people from a local southern Transfan.

1. pasadena is not close to Mexico in anyway. Your talking like a 4 hour drive with no traffic.

2. The CDC estimates about 36,000 people in the U.S. died of flu-related causes each year, on average, in the 1990s. Worldwide Deaths so far from swine flu 7. All in mexico. Mexico is a 3rd world country. How healthy do you think those people were to begin with? ( I'm mexican and ive been to mexico many times the place it's as bad as you think.

3.People in southern ca are stupid. I got 4 complaints from customers that we cary anti bacterial hand sanitizer, The flu is a VIRUS!

4. People in southern ca are stupid. An old man called and complained that an employee coughed while helping him and if he got sick there would be hell to pay. The employee in question had just drank water and it wen the wrong way.

5.People in southern ca are stupid. We have to pay somebody to wipe down tables in our food court after evey single person.

6.People in southern ca are stupid. We have to hand out wipes to people so they can clean the handle of their shopping basket. You know cuz thats the cure the CDC didnt think of