Immortals (2011)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Yggdrasil, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Anyone hyped up about this?

Immortals - Official Trailer 2 [HD] - YouTube

Seriously this is comedy gold it looks like a an 80's fantasy film beefed up the and then mixed with 300 for good measure!

This is the type of a crazy, nonsensical movie junk-food that got me into films in the first place!

2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Comedy gold?

3. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Because I can't watch this with a strait face this is a movie designed to go to with a buch of friends and rip on it MST3K style.

Who knows it might turn out good but so far it just looks like a big junk-food movie.

4. Primal1987

Primal1987 Creator Of The OptiBrony

News Credits:
    After finding out it has been rated R, I'm looking forward to it more, since I was afraid it would be a PG-13ified 300 mixed with a little Clash Of The Titans.

Could be fun.

5. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Hate to be the poor souls that get stuck sitting next to you.

6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I feel like I should like this, but for some reason it struck as just too generic. It feels like the 300 team is just trying to cash in. I hope it's better than I suspect and I may rent it down the road, but I'm not at all motivated to see it in theaters.

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    ... which would be why I don't expect much when I see a film in theaters.

8. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

to be honest, to me it looks like a much better remake version of clash of the titans. special effects looks decent, cast looks alright. seems to remind me a lot of the conan movie, that i loved. i don't see why it'd look like a bad movie to you, or why you'd want to go with it, just to rip it, and think you're funny doing it, while the other people in the theater are trying to watch it.

i haven't seen 300, and i haven't seen the new clash of the titans, other then parts of them on hbo, neither really interested me. especially since i am sick of remakes.

at least this is trying to be it's own story, with out remaking an already good movie, just because we have computers now.

just because a movie has computer animation, after all, doesn't mean it's going to be good, and i enjoyed the clay animation of the original. it was neat, even if it does look cheesy in today's standards.

how ever with that said, while i am not going to go into this movie thinking it's going to be the greatest movie ever, i'm also not going to go into it thinking it's the worst.

i will go into the theater the same way i always do, expecting to enjoy the movie, nothing more, nothing less.

i've seen 6 or 7 movies this year in theaters, and one of those was twice.

and i have yet to see a bad one. sure i have seen some that were kind'a "meh" but i still enjoyed my time in the theater.

so who knows, YOU might be surprised and think it's a wonderful movie.

my point is, don't knock a movie before you've seen it. :)  it might be wonderful, it might be horrible, but at the end of the day all that really matters is if you enjoyed your time there.

i mean just for an example, that battleship movie looks ridiculously awesome! :lol  i am sure i'm going to enjoy seeing the movie, regardless of how ridiculous the premise is! :lol 

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It looks good to me, but I was really hoping it wasn't rated R so I could take my son to see it.
    Oh well.

10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

oh no, just smuggle him :lol 

11. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    It looks like a parody of 300 and other "epic" movies... But it's taking itself completely deadshit serious. Even though they have a guy in an evil bunny helmet.

12. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Great, now I want somebody to ask him "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"

13. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I know I'm late to the party, but I actually liked this movie. I'm currently working on a Classics degree, and it encompasses both Greek history and mythology. From a historical standpoint, this movie doesn't even remotely fit into the mythology of Theseus. But I actually think they approached the Greek gods correctly, without ruining their presence too much with speech/dialog. I think I'm biased in that I get pumped everytime I see ANYTHING Greek/Roman related get made into movies these days.

Not bad at all. Could have been better in many ways, but I'd rate it a solid 8/8.5 out of 10. It's nice to see Thesus get some attention these days.

14. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I'm glad that I read this. I also love to read about Greek mythology and I was interested in seeing this movie. I have only one question; is it better than Clash of the Titans 2010?

15. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Clash of the Titans I think suffered because it was on it's own in completely uncharted waters. They were trying a lot of new things, about a topic that is NEVER covered in current media, and they were stuck trying to not veer too far from the original movie. I liked the new Clash of the Titans, but only because I loved the original as a kid.

But Immortals does not have the same issues Clash of the Titans did. It is on a closer level with 300 I would say, at least visually. Storyline actually has a few unique twists and a few interesting story elements. Quick and dirty, with a little bit of sex, the way it should be.

16. bsutton1

bsutton1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^ I agree. I just watched it and I thought it was very much like 300.