IMAX goes to Harry Potter over TF

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bryan, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Blackout05

Blackout05 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Let me first say that I have tried to watch one of the Harry Potter Movies (Can't remember which one though) and I really didn't care for it... But that's just my Opinion.

Now I am a little upset that the Transformers didn’t make it to IMAX, but that will not stop me from enjoying the movie. I personally think that Transformer would look awesome on the IMAX Screen, but apparently the movie companies didn’t think so. I’m sure I will probably see Harry Potter Just because of my Girlfriend is a Fan, so maybe I will be able to understand why they made this decision.

I would like to see the Transformers set some new records at the box office, and I think that they will. However as said before Harry Potter has a large fan base, which will give the Transformers great Competition. So with that said let the First true Summer Blockbuster “Battle for the Box Office” Begin.

So instead of questioning “Why didn’t the Transformers get the IMAX?” ask “Which of the 2 will be the highest Grossing Film? And what records do you think they will break?”

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i guess i'm in the minority...if both come out at the same time...i would rather watch Harry Potter first.

Maybe it has to do with all the letdowns i got with TF of late (shows, toys, and comics) and this is the first movie...while HP has had a bunch now, and all were great.

3. rdarkstream

rdarkstream Minicon lover

Ebay:
    You know as much as i love TF's, i plan on laughing nicely if this movie doesn't do what people think it will do.

4. Blackout05

Blackout05 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You and me both... lol

5. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dunno, I've never played golf before, but I know I dont like it :p 

6. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Can't say I've ever been drawn to HP myself.
    "You don't have to fall off a cliff to know it hurts", as the saying goes.
    Whatever turns you on, I guess. Although to be fair, I'm already laughing nicely at those who said the reviews were going to be uniformly bad.

7. Chimeran

Chimeran Well-Known Member

Man, I like the Harry Potter books, and I still don't get why they're so popular. At best they're medium quality books, and yet they're popular in a way no book has ever been before. WTF? And in comparison to the books most of the movies have been rather lacking. Then again, OotP is the Harry Potter book most in need of cutting down (re-reading that one was PAINFUL), so this movie might actually turn out better than the book for once. I'm still not overly excited for it, whereas I'm totally pumped for Transformers.

That said, I don't really care whether or not HP5 or TF ends up in IMAX, since I've never bothered seeing any movie in IMAX that wasn't made for it. Seriously, 3D fish trump blown-up versions of normal movies.

8. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios everything u like is dumb

I totally agree with most of this. I could really do without the angsty teenage bitching that is so prevalent throughout OotP. Potter annoys the crap out of me to know end. And Dumbledore sure doesn't help things by NOT slapping him. There is a lot they could cut out for the movie, so it shouldn't feel as rushed as Goblet of Fire. And Transformers definitely has all of my current excitement, sorry Potter.

I don't care about seeing either in an IMAX theater either, as it's just way too big to be able to see everything that is going on. I prefer an Ultra Screen.

9. rdarkstream

rdarkstream Minicon lover

Ebay:
    Its people who say this is going to be the biggest movie ever or the biggest movie this summer..I hope it does well, but the cheeleading just makes me want to puke really.

Or like these people wondering Why harry potter will do well or does well?
    Well thats really a dumb statement. Its a decent to well written story that word of mouth made it is what it is today.

10. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

It's the same reason franchises like McDonald's are so popular. McD's doesn't make the best burgers, there are many franchises that make better ones, but McD's knows how to package it, duplicate it and sell it to the masses. IMHO, that's what we have here with Harry Potter, a mediocre story at best that, for some strange reason, is wildly popular when there are many other "kids" stories that are far superior (starting with Chronicles of Narnia, again my opinion).

*and to note, while I haven't read all of the HP books I have seen every movie up-to-date and have found them to be unappealing and quite boring.

11. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

There are, what, over 4-5 Potter movies now!?
    Transformers is the first of it's kind, so I see no valid reason (for the sake of watching an original film and/or for the sake of originality as a whole) to prefer HP over TF.

Sure the HP movies were fun for the time, but I'm over it and want something fresh and NEW.
    TF is a unique film which has never been done before. HP has 4 sequels. Guess which one I prefer..

Back on topic:
    Not that interested in IMAX, since I've never seen a movie there before. Wouldn't mind watching a decent movie there, which is worthy of the IMAX experience.. Except for TF.. But.. darn..

12. thepoetrydude

thepoetrydude Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed the Harry movies as a one time watch, but nothing special. I was so hoping for the chance to catch TF in IMAX, but then again they rarely out the best in Imax, unless its your more or less educational stuff like they do at Rueben H.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    They're masterpieces compared with the Narnia movie. God, that was some tedious crap right there.

14. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

To each his own indeed. A masterpiece to you, a masterpiece of shit to me. Let's see how far this little dance will last.

15. Trenner Dios

While I liked the 1st Narnia movie, I definitely think it doesn't hold a candle to Harry Potter movies 2-4 (didn't like the first movie or book). The development of the characters doesn't even come close to the HP movies, and the actors/characters aren't as likeable in the Narnia film. While it looked great and I was entertained, it didn't really bring the book to life, even though it followed it very closely.

16. case_sensitive

case_sensitive Ravage for President

Chris Columbus did everybody a huge favour by abandoning the director's chair after Chamber of Secrets. The quality of the movies, IMHO, increased dramatically after his departure.
    Man, you and Draven are really killing my enthusiasm for Narnia. I was looking forward to seeing the movie (that's right, I still haven't seen it) 'til I read what you guys had to say. Ah well, maybe the next installment will be better.

-= CS =-

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    "little dance"? Care to elaborate?

18. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    never been to an IMAX.. probably never will

19. Trenner Dios

Hey I still enjoyed it! But it's probably more of a theater movie than a renter.

20. digitalvehicle

digitalvehicle Member

I have never been to the IMAX, and I serously doubt that I ever will go. The regular theatre is fine by me.

People really get their shorts in a bunch over TF vs HP. Who cares? They are two different genre's. It seems like every topic I read in the forum eventually leads to someone starting the TFvsHP war all over. If HP dominates at the box office vs TF, does that mean that TF is a horrible movie? Certainly not, it just means that more people wanted to see HP.

And really, arguing over it and insulting each other is childish and unproductive. Watch what you want. Listen to others opinions, but don't force yours down their throats or ridicule them for it.. everyone has a right to their own opinion, no matter how stupid it may seem.