Imagination...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jametron, Feb 16, 2009.

1. jametron

jametron Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE! Taste Kittens…

News Credits:
    Does anyone have one anymore? It seems like no ones ever happy with any toys anymore and really kinda come off as down right spoiled!

Example: When Starscream was released for the first movie everyone complained that he had no hands, then the DAY we first see pics of the new ROTF Screamer toy a lot of folks complained that you can see his hands in jet mode!

And paint apps, crimeny, the paint apps! Everyone acts as if their teddy bear is being raped! You know what though? When you think about it, $40 is a lot for a TOY. And I guarentee if Leader Class Movie Optimus (for example) was painted to everyone's satisfaction he would be closer to $70... AND peeps would complain about that!

The thing is, I'm not always "completely satisfied" with everything released either... sometimes I wish paint apps, kibble etc were different.

But at 32 I still have an imagination too. As far as I'm concerned, ROTF Starscream doesn't have hands sticking out of his tail section.:wink: 

//rant

(no offence or malice intended towards anyone btw... just needed it off my chest)

2. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    I agree. Way too many fans are becoming super picky and it's really annoying. Where's the fun in all that? Oh wait, I forgot, toys are serious business.

3. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *I wanted to reply to this sooner but I was getting some server error*

I agree some times is it rather sad like how people saying the twins will be the worst things ever when their toys look really well proportioned and well articulated and we don't even know what they will be like in the movie yet. IMO their only fult is the funky faces but I wont condemn them before they have even spoken a word

But some times I put a lot of the bitching down to people jumping on the hate band wagon. Like with movie SS ok he had some bad underside kibble in jet mode and the cannons do seem to just go off when ever you look at them funny, but the way some people act out its all rather over kill.

4. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    I like the new Screamer, out of all the ROTF that and HA Bumbles are the stand outs for me.

I agree with alot of what you said, but I also get the flipside. Looking at the customs and some of the simple alterations that are made, it just seems crazy that a guy in his basement can embaress a multi national, who pays a fortune in salarys.

Im not sure it comes down to imagination, I think its more a passion for things TF

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Interesting point.
    So, it would seem that those who are picky may actually have MORE of an imagination.

And the customizers put that imagination to work.

6. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The imagination part comes into play when people envision what they want to see in a figure, then if what is presented isn't spot-on accurate to that mental image, it 'just isn't good'.
    What needs to be remembered by the 'haters' is the simple fact that there is a company that makes the figures we love so much, and that these figures for the most part are representative of characters from one of the TF continuities we know. Be happy for that, at least. Not meaning blindly buy all things Transformer, but at least appreciate the fact that they're there to buy.
    Just like the movie and movie lines as well. It may not be what some people want to see, but it's existance prolongs the life of the franchise. Don't see the movie or collect the figures if you don't want to. It's a choice we can all make, but be guaranteed that if it would flop or the toys wouldn't sell, we would never see another movie or figure. That would impact the franchise as a whole, and make Hasbro reconsider the revenue put into Transformers.
    Where would we all be, then. Do you think Universe or Classics would sell? Yes, but in such small numbers that a large company like Hasbro wouldn't deem profitable.

As for the recently showcased products, the amount of bitching and complaining over Devastator is incredibly funny. It isn't green, it's parts don't transform, it isn't big enough, the names are wrong...
    Get over it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. How many topics on this site alone have been created just to bitch about the figure, and NONE of us typical collectors have even seen the thing up close.
    It'll be humerous in about six months to see who has the new Devastator in their collection, as well as the other 'horrible' movie figures.

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    What's even funnier is when people get bent out of shape and outraged over people who get bent out of shape and outraged over a toy that they- not only have the nerve to dislike- but have the audacity to voice their opinions.

Man, get over it.

'Haters' of 'haters' have no moral highground.

It seems to me that if you can haveroom for page after page of fanwank over Leader Class Prime, then there's just as much room for dissapointment over movie Devastator.

8. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    So you're a hater of haters of haters. You're no better. :) 

9. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Haters of hater hater haters are the worst though (the snake just ate its tail!)

I think the message boards lends itself to more criticism though, people like to type their thoughts. There's plenty of praise for toys here, if you're only seeing the negative then maybe that's your frame of mind then?

10. Dachande

News Credits:

11. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Eh. People will bitch no matter what. They expect a bar of gold for the price of a pea.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Word, brother. Then again, I'm 19 and still play with my toys from time to time, so my imagination is always fresh. (though being into writing and art helps, too)

13. Dachande

News Credits:
    We should start an official "Pew-Pew" brotherhood for those that still play with their Transformers.

14. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's like they forgot the only thing that made their children toys actualy good: imagination.

It's not the freaking G1 ACCURATE COLOR SCHEME or the PERFECT TRANSFORMATION that made you enjoy these things, it was the fact that you were looking at that freaking pile of plastic and imagining the guy from the cartoon in your house.

15. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

I, for one, love the new starscream mold, as well as a lot of the other remolds and new guys like the twins and breakaway.
    what I DON'T like is sloppy QC. on a lot of my animated toys, there were spots that were really sloppily painted. While I love all my toys, it's an eyesore to look at. It's not that I want an absolutely perfect airbrushed toy, but I don't think it's too much to ask that the makers don't half-ass their paint apps. especially when deluxes are 13 bucks nowadays.
    I also hate lazy toys. the $100 devs could have been WAAAAY more than what it was, but hasbro decided to go the two-seperate-constructicons route. Which is funny, since the vehicle modes on the bot-only constructicons look FAR better than the $100 gift set.
    I think those are valid complaints, especially when it comes to toys we're looking forward to.

16. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Wasn't the price increase supposed to improve quality?

I mean Hasbro did keep Deluxes as 9,99 for a loooooooooong time, even with raising prices.

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    -It doesn't automatically translate into "more paint apps" or like that. I think the main goal was to keep the contracted Chinese factories from cutting extra corners like they seemed to be doing more and more. I don't know about anyone else, but my Universe Smokescreen has nice happy solid un-sticky paint, as opposed to a couple Prowls I have/had.

Regarding the "imagination" issue, I tend to get hung up more on things that affect the handling of a toy, like floppy joints, parts that don't fit or otherwise work correctly, or problems posing or standing. Colors and paint apps don't bother me nearly as much. If I have a strong enough problem with something cosmetic, I'll change it myself.

18. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    That's what I'm saying.

As long as the paint sticks, I'm fine.

19. jametron

jametron Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE! Taste Kittens…

News Credits:
    A lot of great conversation here! Glad no one really took my post as bitching or being a hater hater or anything because that certainly wasn't the case... just offering my opinion as anyone (haters included) can. And for the record there are few TF's I buy that I don't end up slightly modifying because of things I don't like. It just seems to get kinda crazy (IMO) when there is thread after thread and post after post DEMANDING that Hasbro do everything that the fans want... while expecting low prices too.

And this is a great example of understanding the flip side. Thanks for the perspective.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I guess it depends on what it is.

Some stuff just seemed silly like the bent out of shape because Universe Ironhide had a blue face. I mean darn it doesn't really take much painting skill to just fix that yourself at home. I've been pretty darn happy with the Classics/Universe line as a whole so it doesn't really bother me if something isn't exactly G1. If I can look at the robot and know who it is right away then that's good enough for me.

But then I've got my weird side myself so I can't sling too much mud. For some odd reason it just really upsets me if I don't like the hands on a figure so that's why I just can't get into the movie line or too many of the Animated figures.