Image hosting?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alpha, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Alpha

Alpha I saved the internet.

What free image hosting site would you recommend?

Thanks.

2. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    imageshack.us

3. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    get an account at photobucket :thumb 

4. Alpha

Is either one better or is it personal preference?

5. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    i use uploadit.org

6. Jess

Jess Active Member

I use imageshack.us as well but lately they are getting funny with giving you thumbnails of your uploads as I guess they have so many users that the full image drags out the bandwith.

7. Alpha

Thanks for the help.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Use both , and find Photobucket alot easier to use and friendlier with hi def pics. It's also easier to organize if you have 1,000+ pics. And way better options for resizing etc. Click link in my sig for example.
    Imageshack is good for making quick thumbnails for threads .

9. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Pretty much Imageshack and Photobucket.

10. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I am in a quandary.

Due to ignorance and haste on my part, I signed up for a Photobucket account, unaware of its 1 GB storage limit.

Now that I've used up nearly 25% of that limit within mere months (no thanks to my comics), I foresee myself running out of image storage space in the near future.

So what other good image hosting websites exist? One that is as easy to use as Photobucket, minus the storage limit.

I am aware that Flickr and Imageshack has no storage limit, but how do those two fare against Photobucket's ease of use?

Or should I sign up for an account in each of them to see for myself the features they have to offer? In which case, I would still like a list of good image hosting websites.

Some blogs do offer their own reviews on the matter, but it's all very inconsistent, only that Imageshack and Photobucket are always mentioned.

11. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Open another photobucket account..

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I use PB and imageshack. the drawback with imageshack is you can't make sub-folders for organizing your photos, but its just as easy to use, otherwise.. you upload your picture, and after its in, you have all your options for code to use for imbedding it places.

13. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I use Photobucket so much I went and paid for a Pro account.

Totally worth it.

14. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    That IS the other option, but I'm feeling a little cheapskate on the matter.

I think I'll go with signing up for an account in a few sites, and see for myself what each has to offer.

Besides the mentioned Imageshack, Photobucket and Flickr, any other image hosting site that might be worth checking out?

15. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

Wait a minute Dila, what kind of images do you upload? I've got over 400 pictures in my Photobucket account, and still have plenty of space. Do you happen to upload raw pictures from the camera without resizing or something? o_O  It's amazing hard for me to reach the 1GB limit, and I post a picture every two days on my own journal, not counting my comics and other misc pictures.

I recommend going through your account and clearing some older stuff out, if possible... If that still doesn't free up space, then I'd say go for the Pro account. Might cost a little, but so far, Photobucket is the most reliable image hoster I've used.

16. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Over 2000 images...most of them comics. :D 
    Others include stuff that I share with the family (hi-res stuff), some random pics here and there, oh yeah, and some videos.

But you're right, I'll probably go clear up some old stuff from Photobucket, having just got back from trying out Flickr and Imageshack.

Redline is right in that Imageshack is more or less Photobucket, with unlimited storage space, but minus the option of organizing pics into folders and the convenience of auto-generated codes. (I'll probably use this for my random stuff from now on)

Flickr is sweetness, but is strictly for people to come and take a look at. Too much of a hassle for me to direct link images from that.

17. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    Photobucket is God!! If you need more then a gig of space for PICTURES on a FREE image hosting site.. you're doing something insanly wrong.

Can't go wrong with 25 gigs of bandwidth a month either.

If you are seriously having problems with space and bandwidth.. then don't be cheap and start coughing out the dough.

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I use photbucket as wellit's faster than imageshack, has folders and it's easy to make thumbnails (or whole pages of them)

For example (click on the picture):

[​IMG]

19. ShockWave_AZ

ShockWave_AZ Shock and Awe

News Credits:
    I use Flickr and it is really easy to use and to direct links too! The whole site is web-enable making it really simple to upload and organize photos. You have a limit for the free account but its pretty big 100 mb of photos each month. But I am going with the Pro (25 bucks a year) and its unlimited space and uploads!!!

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I use Flickr just 'cause I'm always logged in on account of my Yahoo! account, but I've started using TFW's for posting pics here.

I don't have even 1/100th as many as you're talking about, so I can understand the need for something else.