I'm trying to collect the Masterforce line...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mobb One, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

...and came up with the decision of, ultimately, utility vs. rarity.

i was contemplating getting all the japanese redecorations, but i'm several figures short of that and once all is said and done i know it will run in excess of 2 Gs, which i'm a bit uncomfortable with. so the question is, pursue the japanese redecos, or procure the american counterparts?

out of all the toys released both in japan and here in the us that were featured in masterforce, i got some as a kid and some as a collector

submarauder/gilmer
    powermaster prime
    nightbeat
    horri-bull
    cindersaur
    flamefeather

I received as a kid, they're all complete, etc. so i dont need to replace any of them.

overlord
    black zarak
    darkwing
    dreadwind
    piranacon/king poseidon
    god ginrai

i've acquired in the past several months

notable (as in, $$$) holes in the collection

Grand Maximus
    Minerva
    Metalhawk
    Browning
    Go shooter and the autobot godmasters
    the decepticon godmasters

and the rest of the other notable redecos

i'm trying to figure out how to approach the situation..i'm sure a lot of people on the board have had the same decision so now is the time to ask...stick with the american versions, or go and hunt down the redecos?

the pretenders i'm not too concerned about, as from what i've read there're very few differences, if any. of course the glaring exception is
    metalhawk so i know at some point i will have to get that dude, in the same vein as i had to get overlord.

grand maximus is another issue. i got both fort max and scorponok as a kid, both are still complete and in great shape etc. black zarak was unique and different enough to warrant hunting him down....i'm not so sure about grand max. completists will argue otherwise, but still i would like to hear both arguments.

the final issue is the autobot headmaster juniors. i have nightbeat...but minerva and go shooter and the other one are so completely different and difficult to find complete that they are priced pretty high.

so grand max
    metalhawk
    headmaster juniors
    browning
    buster/hydra

tallied up will be over $2000 i feel, after shipping and markup and whatever.

there's also the redecos of the firecons and sparkabots...but honestly i dont think they're worth chasing, since they're available here relatively inexpensively

so i am soliciting the board for advice haha

2. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

It's really up to you. The Japanese toys are just repaints like most of the new toys we see today.

I'm in the same boat - I want to collect them all but I'm too cheap to pay for them. The only Japanese one that I *had* to have was Overlord, so I bought him. The rest are American versions. I don't think it distracts from the ultimate goal of collecting them.

So what if my Darkwing and Dreadwind have cyan colors instead of red? The character is still the same in my mind. Hell, I don't even know the names of the American Powermaster figures. To me they're just Hydra, Buster, Ginrai, Road King, Lightfoot, etc.

3. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you feel the repaints are worth it, go for those. Personally I would get the Hasbro versions of toys that aren't that different (Hosehead, Horri-bull/Cancer); but get the Takara versions of Ranger/Joyride, Grand Max.

4. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

These are the figures that I know for a fact have completely different color-schemes than their US counterpart. I didn't list the obvious ones like the Max variants or your BZ/Scorp variants. Or did I do that just now? Idk... anyways, everyone else you can just grab a Hasbro version and call it done.

~Z

Optimus Prime ~ (God) Ginrai (has chrome, diecast, and retractable blue fists. Plus it's cheaply available as a reissue with Godbomber!)
    Doubledealer ~ Double-Clouder (has white & gold chrome with silver/white weapons)
    Joyride ~ Ranger (is now white and light blue with a recolored engine figure)
    Nightbeat ~ Minerva (from blue and yellow to a white and red parameidc sportscar)
    Siren ~ Goshooter (from a grey firechief to a white and blue interceptor)
    Darkwing ~ Hydra (turqoise became red)
    Dreadwind ~ Buster (turqoise became red)

5. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Some of these were a bitch to track down, especially the green friecon guzzle.

6. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

well i was going to grab sixknight on ebay without the guns and was negotiating with the seller, but someone else ganked it before i could accept the offer

7. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

It depends- if you want to simply have a collection of all the molds for yourself, the American redecos will do.

If you want to have one of the most definitive Masterforce collections on the Internet, something that would attract universal praise from everyone interested in the line in the TFW2005 Collector's Showcase, the rare redecos would probably be part of that.

Of course, not everyone can afford that sort of thing. I know I can't. Be sure to budget responsibly- nobody likes to see a great collection be split apart due to finances.

8. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Transfanclub.net • Toon onderwerp - Overlord's collection Update Dec 08 go here. Don't try to read: it's in dutch but the guy has all Masterforce toys in that thread. All 44 releases (That includes giftset releases)
    [​IMG]

IMO: I go for show accuracy. So show characters in there colors. That means I get to cheat with a few US releases.
    - Seacons
    - pretenders
    - headmaster jr firetruck/ Carb
    - Powermaster getaway/ Lightfoot
    - Powermaster Slapdash/ Roadking
    - the firecons
    and yes even Doubledealer is more show accurate then Doubleclouder.

I don't blame the sparkabots. they are not in the show. And the one commercial with animated sparkabots has the US colors on them.

The rest should be a japanese release.
    Buster, Hydra, Sixknight, the godmasters, Grand Max etc etc!

iDD

9. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    :drool: 

Has he posted his address by any chance? :inquisiti 

10. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Ditto on this. He's quite hard to get. Same as Javil. I ended dropping $50 for that stupid green guy. Still looking for Javil.

I would just focus on figures/toys you really want. They are really don't different between the jap and usa version. Though if you plan on sticking with the usa version, then don't watch the masterforce series. For a long time, I didn't care for minerva. But then after watching masterforce, I had the minerva fever. And other MF figures. Got most of them, just a few more to go now. It's quite do-able but will cost you. Especially how the prices jumped in the last few years.

11. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

Haha that is incredible, shizzam! I also thought about going for show accuracy...that's what i'm leaning heavily towards right now. Though i just purchased a loose doubleclouder...ah well. I ran the link through a translator, he actually has 42 of the 44 releases. Off hand I don't know what he was missing. But still....great!

Yes I was planning on sticking with the american versions...but then I read about Overlord, as I've been thinking, ever since I got powermaster prime as a kid, why the decepticons dont have a powermaster leader of their own. Then I started watching masterforce.

I agree it is doable...monetarily the biggest one I'm missing is grand max. I've seen all the others available within the past year, except for minerva. Need to keep an eye out for her.

12. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

13. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

heh, come on man, never buy rare transformers off of ebay!! (only sell)

14. hyun007

hyun007 Member

I think he is missing Metalhawk & Browning.

I always have a fetish for Japanese Masterforce and Victory series.

For me, I prefer loose toys than MISB or MIB.

Reasons are,
    -too expensive
    -you don't really want to open a MISB, if that so, might as well get a MIB.
    -boxes take up alot of place, if a mouse or rat get in the storage, it will be bye bye to them.
    -Dampness can damage them easily and devalued the item.
    - it is easier to display toys without boxes and one will not to have worry about where to stored them and so on.
    -I buy the toys is because I want to transform them and not let them sit in a box.
    -Taking them in and out of MIB box can cause styrofoam damaged.

15. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:

Welcome to TFW!

This thread is two years old :) 

16. hyun007

hyun007 Member

Thank you very much.
    It was indeed 2 years old and that picture is a wet dream comes true for most collectors and I decide to list the 2 that was missing.

It had been 4 years since I last bought a Transformers toy!!!
    Now I just want to complete my G1 before any KO gets into my collection.