I'm taking a break

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Primevil, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    Yeah. For the time being, I'm done with comics. It has nothing to do with the direction of the stories, God knows I love it. I just can't afford it right now.

I'm spending at least $40 a month on comics. Some weeks exceed $20. I'm just not in a very good financial situation (college student with no job, among other things) to keep reading. And it doesn't help I just spent $70 on a textbook. Realistically, it would make sense to keep just a handful of comics, but the problem there lies with the local comic shop.

The comic store has a $10 minimum on debit/credit purchases. I kind of rely on my debit/credit card as I don't carry a whole lot of cash on me at all times, and what cash I have is usually reserved for quarters for laundry.

Maybe after some time I can take a look at my expenses and see if I can bring a few books back. But for now, I'll just rely on the forums here and at Newsarama, and my roommate who has no problem with reading the comics in the store.

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    think i spend about 50 bucks month. pick up 3-4 titles per week.

good luck with all that!

3. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    dude....that sucks...i know i was in the same boat eons ago, but then i started helping a local shop price transformers and set up the displays for them cuz no one else understood them...and that got be a crapload of comics and finally an actual job at a comic store where i now get paid in comics (around 50 bucks a week, and every other week theres an extra 75) and other toys and have actually increased my reading....sorry to hear its all getting cut out....couldnt you have a pull box and make one 20 buck purchase a month? theres gotta be a few books worth not dropping....

bu, if thats your choice, im sorry man....hopefully something happens to change that for ya....

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I spend about $200 every three months. I wish I could get down to my store more, but it's just too damn far away and I won't change.

Check out used TPBs on Amazon. $7-8 bucks can get you some of the best stories that come out, plus extras. Mostly spoiled at that point, though.

5. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    Believe me, I don't want to drop everything. I'll just need to take some time to review everything I get and figure out what's worth keeping. I'm pretty sure that Ultimate Spider-Man will stay, but beyond that I'm not sure.

I don't know, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions by dropping everything. But this could be a good thing. Ever since I got back into comics with Dreamwave, I've only dropped one ongoing series (X-Men, because I didn't agree with Sabretooth and Mystique on the team) and even then I replaced it with another (Uncanny). So maybe I can at least take some time to figure out my priorities.

6. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    you can always try trading in old issues for new ones too....maybe you've got something of value you can trade to your LCS....

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Ametures! I spend anywhere from $120-150 a month. Usually it's $35-40 a week. About 10 titles a week.

Primevil, why not cut back to TPBs. They are way less expensive and you cn get like 1 a month and be fine.

8. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

In my heyday, I was spending mucho dinero on comics. I was getting anywhere from 50-70 titles a month. And this was back when comic's were $1.00 each. Then they started going up, $1.25, $1.50, etc. Once they hit $1.99, I cut back almost completely.

9. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, I got back in in a big way for 6 months or so a while back and then mostly dropped out (just mainly do Avenger and TF comics now). The crazy prices combined with the lamer and lamer stories and bad printing jobs = cutback for me.

10. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy Señor Member TFW2005 Supporter

Download them... it's free.

11. DevilzFan

Yeah, let's all download them, thus preventing the comic companies, writers, artists, colorists, etc from making money that would produce more! BRILLIANT!

12. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

...and illegal... Like that stops some of us.... :)  The only drawback is that I HATE reading them on a computer monitor. Nothing beats being able to sit down in a real chair and flip open a book, not a screen.

13. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm in a similar situation, and need to drop a lot of titles. Problem is, I can't decide which ones to drop. At least when 52 is over, that'll be like dropping 4 titles per month. I'm not going to let myself be tricked into buying Countdown, I'll wait for trades on that.

14. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Dini sucked me into Countdown. But I need to cancel other books. Probably ditch most DC except Batman, Detective, Action, Superman, and GL. Marvel I need to drop Ult FF, She Hulk, both Wolverines, X-Men, and FF. Also probably going to drop Transformers and GIJoe. Both were getting pretty lame. But TF did pick up last issue.

And with Civil War, that cuts a lot of books.

15. DevilzFan

I almost completely stopped reading DC now except for 52, Green Lantern, Titans, and Green Arrow.

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I spend about $30 a month on comics with 52, Green Lantern, IDW G1 continuity (main miniseries + Spotlights) and IDW 'side continuities' (movie adaptations, Beast Wars, TFEHoS, etc). It's not an onerous expense for me, but I am looking to cut back a bit. I intend to get Countdown, but after the TF live action movie stuff is done, I'll be going to 'wait for trade' on all the IDW 'side continuities' to save a bit of money. Green Lantern's also on shaky ground with me, but its few good points still manage to (just barely) eclipse all the negatives; however, if the Sinestro Corps storyline starts heavily crossing over into GLC, I'll be dropping it to 'wait for trade'. "Civil War" also saved me a bit of money, since I'm avoiding Marvel 616 for the foreseeable future.

17. JD

JD Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this statement but only if you plan on buying the TPB when they come out.

18. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I feel your pain. Due to life taking a dump on me and my wife about 8 month back, I had to give up comics all together. We finally got things striaghtened out and I was able to get some back issues, (My comic shop guy and I go back about 12 years so he kept pulling my titles for me and was just like "Hey I understand, come down when you can") and hopefully sometime in the future I can get back into collecting....but man does it leave a hole. :( 
    Oh and downloading comics? Bad bad bad idea. Nothing beats having an actual comic in your hands.....

19. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

ending of last year, i was buying over 40 titles and spending ~$100/month...the month after, i was planning to take a break too, but instead went and set a limit i would buy.

3-4 months later, still working...i only spend ~$50/month and have around 18 titles (i got a 20% discount). Fables and Jack of Fables is my two favorite title.

20. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TPB was what I was thinking off as well when I read this.

It sucks you have to stop doing something you like, but at least you have your priorities right Primal.