I'm sure it's been discussed before, but: the presence of Combiners.

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Karhukjnsi, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Many people loved Combiners in G1, and their, relatively, plentifulness. How do you feel about them, would you like to see them in 'Prime'? Or would you rather they be toned down/non-existent?

I, personally, HATE combiners. Apart from Devastator and MAYBE Defensor, most of them just didn't make sense to have. I LIKED Combiner teams, like the Combaticons, or the Protectobots, so I'd like to see them in the future. But as for the gestalts, themselves, count me out. You?

2. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I like the concept, but I will say that a lot of the designs behind the original combiners don't really stand up to the test of time. (Lots of crazy scale issues.) Other then Devastator and maybe Predaking, a lot of the other combiner teams would have to be considerably re-imagined, if they were to show up.

There's also the argument some have made that being a CGI show, it'd cost too much to develop all the character models. So who knows, we may not even see combiners in the show anyway.

3. Oracle_Aesir

Oracle_Aesir Outback is back

News Credits:
    They might be able to do smaller combiner teams (like 3 per group) or a drone team style like in PCC, but I doubt we'll get full 5/6 member teams in a CGI show

4. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I can dig any kind of combiners. Energon is one my favorite lines. Yes, I do think Mega Dinobot looks good, thank you very much.

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

It would be cool to see combiners in Prime, but as it was pointed out it might be costly to create CGI models for combiner teams.

That would be cool if they feature Powercore Combiners in some shape or form.

6. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Computron or nuttin:lol  and I think a couple of 2 part deceptidrones wouldn't be too bad, or something like that.. I would actually rather see a drone car or plane that goes with the autobot cars for added armor or flight packs, like a side car flight pack for Arcee, a drone tank for armor and a nice big shoulder gun for Bulkhead, a drone motorcycle that turns in to epic arm blades/claws for Ratchet, a shuttle for BB so he can go into orbit...(ran out of other ideas:lol ) and of course a trailer for Prime that turns into armor and a bit of a battle base with a roller of some kind.

now that kinda combiners I could deal with!

7. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    I don't think this is as much of a problem as some people think. It was obviously an issue in the days of beast wars when the technology was in its infancy, but 3D programs have come a long way and are a lot more streamlined these days. I've tinkered with 3DSMax, and I dont think it would be a stretch to think that in the hands of a professional (who is paid to create, texture and possibly even rig 3d models on a daily basis), a modern 3D program could yield prolific results - and hopfully give us some sweet sweet combiner action!

8. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

^
    I hope you're right. Cause I would actually liked to see them maybe do Devastator, eventually.

9. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    It's costly to develop molds and CG models. The best way to recoup the cost of both is to make repaints and have a load of screen-time; Devastator was in the movie because he is always on top of the list of combiners. So the question is can they write the Constructicons and Devastator good enough, to warrant the CGI and Toys.

10. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    I actually like your idea of having drone accessories that can interact with other figures.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I have been dying to see the combiner groups portrayed as actual individuals and not as limbs. My favourite character in WFC is Air Raid, and I love the Animated Constructicons. I'd love to see the combiner teams not as combiners.

12. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Gracias, I would love to see that.. so long as we don't have to suffer through canned combination sequences and they are used sparingly, it could make for some great combat sequences!

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm not against it happening, but I hope that they take their time with them, and maybe wait a season or two before trying to introduce any of them. I'd be perfectly fine with some known "combiner team members" showing up, but with individual roles within the show (like Air Raid in WFC).

An Eradicon combiner of some sort would be interesting to see. Especially if each part of it was a different type of Eradicon.

14. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    You mean like Animated took so long that the show got canned at 3 Construticons. :lol  It would be cool if they were introduced in a time span of a few episodes, with a season finally reveal of Devastator. That would be a good lead-in to the next season.

15. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Devastator show up at some point down the line. I do think they should avoid having gestalt overkill like G1 had after awhile. I'd say no more than two at the max. In which case I'd suggest Superion as the Autobots' counterpoint.