I'm still kinda confused about how people are concerned with the integrity

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Lateralus, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus Well-Known Member

...Of a toy line and kids cartoon being destroyed by this movie.

Is it wrong to say that some of these people are somewhat pathetic and need to grow up and find something worth while in life?

I mean I can understand some of the childhood memories aspect, but come on...

2. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

Ive heard complaints of this being an all action movie with no real story. Ive heard complaints because they are so unrecognizable compared to G1. But what those people FAIL to realize, is that this movie is very much in line with the TRANSFORMERS universe. Just not G1.

The original cartoon was about big robots blowing things up, beating eachother up, and firing laser blasts everywhere. It was there to sell a toy and was purely action. Yet, people for some reason, want shakespearian story telling or something. G1 was an ACTION cartoon, and this is an ACTION movie.

In the Transformers universe we are used to change ... and drastic at times. For example, unless you were already a huge fan, you wouldn't know that Energon Megatron was the same character as G1 Megatron. They have changed dynamically the entire time ... but for some reason, these ranters tend to dismiss that fact.

I think I am open minded about this because I am a HUGE TRANSFORMERS fan, not just a fan of one continuity. Most of the biggest ranters complain because mainly they are just fans of G1 and not the entire Universe ... so they tend to compare it to G1 only.

But you know what? This is a TRANSFORMERS movie ... not a G1 movie. The sooner people realize that, the sooner they can get to enjoying it for what it is , a new continuity. This is Beast Wars all over again, and that because extremely popular. This movie will be the same.

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I've heard very very few complaints since the second movie trailer....

So I don't think most people are worried anymore.

4. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

I feel EXACTLY the same. Not once did I question what any of the trailers showed me, I just though OMG OMG TRANSFORMERS OMG ON THE BIG SCREEN OMG OMG GIANT ROBOTS OMG OMG. I accepted it. From some people's reactions you'd think they'd prefer no movie at all. The same people would probably complain if it was just a G1 movie. Especially if it had as many color and voice mistakes as the original cartoon. :wink: 

5. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I just wish the heads looked better

primes looks ok, and bonecrushers too, but ratchet, ironhide, bumblebee's, megatrons, way too busy and messy

that style works on the body's but simpler heads would have been a lot better

6. Trenner Dios

Well good thing the movie isn't just 98% close ups of their heads.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I still think its dumb for people to complain about transformers (of all things) changing their visual style.

8. Lateralus

Perfect.

And since the show was mostly just about action, this movie will completely outclass it.

Of course the comics did seem a lot deeper, but most people compare this to the actual show.

9. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    i was a old g1 fanboy hold out. but i have warmed up quite a bit after seeing the trailers.

10. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

As a TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE fan, I accept these changes have been happening since the 90's. As a TRANSFORMERS G1 ONLY fan, I can understand where people are having issues with this. But, that doesn't change the fact this is not a G1 movie anymore. It may have started that way in conception, but it ended up something different.

Maybe someone will come out with a G1 movie with modern effects. I don't think a G1 movie should be live action though. A Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (new movie) style animation for a TF G1 movie would be PERFECT in my opinion.

11. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

Well if you are a fan of G1 ONLY, then they may be turned off because THIS style does not match it. But, as a fan of Transformers as a whole, including all continuities, I agree it is stupid to complain about changes because you SHOULD be used to it.

12. A_U_T_O_B_O_T

A_U_T_O_B_O_T G1 Fan

I was exactly the same. Once I started seeing and hearing things I really changed my opinion and started counting down the days. I was really mostly a G1/Beast Wars fan but now I'm really warming up to everything else. Though if something caught my eye no matter what series I would keep an open mind.

13. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I can kind of agree, and kind of disagree with you.
    First off, Energon Megatron looked a lot like G1 Galvatron, and Galvatron is just a more badass Megatron. I would have agreed with you if you made that comparison to Cybertron Megatron, he looked nothing like any of the Megatrons.
    And second, I tend to compare the other TF series to both G1 and Beast Wars, because to me, G1 and BW had the best stories. I gave Armada a chance, and it totally bored me. The game was fun though. It didn't get my attention untill Unicron showed up. Energon, had bad animation, and a bad story, and for the most part bad toys, Same thing goes for Cybertron. I really didn't like any of them. Sure G1 had continuity and animation errors, but A,E,C blew G1 out of the water in careless mistakes. So that's why I compare everything to G1 and BW, because by observations they did it best.
    Now I am slowly warming up to the movie (still hate the character designs) but I'm still gonna watch it. And maybe this might break the trend of half-assed TF series, or it might open up the door for more half-assed series. We won't know untill it happens.

14. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

Ya, but if you were not fans of the franchise you would not make the Galvatron comparison since his name is "megatron" in that series. I do agree though, that ALL of them have similarities IF you know what to look for. There are even similarities in Cybertron Megatron. Much like, there are similarities in the movie Megatron too if you look at the new head sculpt.

Point being ... there are tiny similarities in ALL of them, including movie megatron. Cybertron was a farther departure than Energob if you look at them. Just like Movie is a farther departure. So, there really isn't anything different. This movie fits into the TF UNIVERSE the same as everything else.

15. Irv Gotti

Irv Gotti I'm Rick James B%#ch!!

Speaking as a G1 fan, I agree wholeheartedly. Has the movie turned out the way I expected? No. Is it important that the Transformers designs fit what I would have wanted them to look like? WHO CARES! The fact is we are FINALLY, FINNAALLY getting a Mega-Budget live action movie!!! Big Robots! Big Action! I am worshiping at the church of ILM. :rock 
    Every good franchise gets a reboot. It's the reboots that are proof positive of any fandom standing the test of time. Look at Batman. Reboot after reboot. As for those who worry about the movie having no plot and all action: This is Transformers! It was always about action! I'm just glad Speilberg, Bay and company have taken the franchise seriously enough deliver a good action movie. WB didn't take Batfans seriously and drastically underestimated the average moviegoers' intelligence, and as a result, we had to wait over a decade of bad flicks and Batman and Robin (reviled as one of the worst movies ever made) before we finally got Batman Begins. Transformers is an action flick; the only academy award it should receive is Best Visual Effects, that is all! All the negativity at this point is ludicrous!! (Want to see how ludicous? Check out that blocked thread asking to boycott the movie for a good laugh :lol  ) We are getting a movie! On 7-4-7 I'm getting my swerve on, seeing what WILL be a Kick-ASS movie, then on with the fireworks and party binge.
    I said it once, I'll say it Again: We Transfans are finally getting some respect! All the girly-men need to stop crying and hit the gym!

16. Muck

Muck Active Member

I hated all of the designs at first. I admit, I was just a raging fanboy who hated anything "not G1." Since then, I've come to like all the movie designs and I now think that they are a nice update for more modern times.

At first, I hated the idea of Prime being a flame-job long-nosed truck; now I can't imagine him any other way. His truck looks completely bad-assed. And Bumblebee is actually cool now, instead of just the lame "sidekick" VW Bug he was in G1; the new Camaro was just brilliant for him.

There are a couple of things I wish they could've kept from G1 though, namely Prime's, Meg's and Starscreams' normal guns.

17. Lateralus

I think it makes more sense for their weapons to be transformed from parts of their body, it makes more sense and fits even more in with the idea of complex transforming alien robots.

18. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

I think it's incredibly myopic to see this as just a toy and cartoon thing. Every time somebody proclaims "omg, chill out d00d, it's a movie based on toys lol!!1", it makes my head want to explode. Do people forget that there's decades of ludicrously in-depth fiction here, too, in the form of the many, many, volumes of comics and graphic novels?

The comic has become notorious for having some of the most dense, metaphysical, way-out storylines that the Sci-Fi genre has seen. It challenges even big-name titles, like Spider-man or X-men, with the level of complexity and the sheer dearth of content that it contains. Sure, just like any classic title, it has plenty of silliness, Ratbat and his brain-washing carwash is no worse than Spidey's dune buggy and Wonder Womans invisible jet any day. The comics had nothing to do with toys or cartoons. It was the sounding-board for some of the most way-out fiction available in that day and age.

To pretend like a whole aspect of the property doesn't exist in order to belittle the franchise, or worse, to be so completely ill-informed about what you speak of that you overlook the greatest, most poignant, long-running part it, and still feel confident that you can speak up on the topic, is way more silly, pathetic, and immature as you're claiming everyone who defends the fictions integrity is being.

19. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Honestly how is liking something a bad or childish thing. Frankly its only a matter of tastes and your opinion obviously varies from a lot of other peoples. First off lets point out the fact you are a fan of Tool ( the band) from what I can tell of your name. How does liking a band as an entertainment medium differ at all from any other form of entertainment. To say this is also purely targeted at our childhood memories also shows a lack of vision especially if you look to Japan which is an entire society that loves giant robots whether gundam, transformers, escaflowne, evangaleon etc etc etc. They are targeting a market that happens to be very popular across the board.

I think I am sick and tired of people feeling the need to tell me and or others how I should feel about this and other subjects quite honestly.

I ll put it to you like this there is nothing at the end of the rainbow my freind there is also quite possibly no eternal existance past death for which we have any proof of. So if a friggin thing makes someone happy it really doesnt matter in the end what it is cause if you blink off the face of the earth tommorow and never exist ever again all you ever had was the experiances you had . For everyone has differant things that make them happy so take your high horse and ride it right into a wall, cause when the eventuality of that day comes will you have done what you wanted in life or what everyone told you should do.

ok thats the last bit of board rage i have left in me. That felt good !

20. Trenner Dios

Uh, I don't think he was trying to insult Transformers fans in general...