I'm starting to lose faith in online shopping!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ruination04, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  2. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

I usually never buy retail products from BBTS because of that reason.

3. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

I gotta agree with you there. I know BBTS is a buisiness, and they're trying to make money (I know someone would've chimed in with that refreshing and totally obvious bit of knowledge sooner or later, so I'll just put it out there) but BBTS's prices are RE-f'ing-DICULOUS on most things. That's the very last place I try, and only if I'm desperate to find something, or when they have things on clearance. In their defence, I got Alt Jazz and Alt Prime for under $50 last year around this time.

4. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At lease they provide us the with the opportunity to purchase items that some may not be able to find locally. Prices are a bit high but its better to have the option than not.

5. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    It's not completely BBTS's fault that the price is so highly. Hasbro releases each wave with figures from previous waves in it. The assortments that Gears and Thrust are coming out in contain pretty much every previous deluxe released so far, a majority of which are your big shelf warmers (Ravage, Chromia, Smokescreen, Mudflap). Because they already have the shelf warmers from previous waves, the only way they'll eventually get rid of these is to clerance them out for about $5 a pop at most. So, selling Thrust at $10 and the rest of the wave at $5 would maybe, at best, break them even.

$30 may seem extreme, but they've got to do what they can to make some money off of even trying to make these figures available for the fans. They could easily keep costs down better if Hasbro shipped all "new" waves, much like Mattel mostly does with DC Universe. But then again, the big selling characters would be harder to find.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    this!

7. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I've never had faith in BBTS for the reason of their prices! :p 

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I think BBTS's problem is that they're a little too savvy when it comes to understanding how supply and demand works. If they knowa toy is popular and hard to find, they will happily raise the price well above msrp because they know people will pay it. Look at Wreck-Gar and Atomic Lugnut, for example. Same wave, same case, yet BBTS charged twice as much for Wreck-Gar because the demand for him was so much higher. Is it fair for BBTS to do this? Probably not, but they're only following the aftermarket trend.

9. ghowildseven

ghowildseven SG Decepticon

supply and demand. That's why BBTS is mostly used for their clearance, sale, or Japanese TFs.

10. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    That sucks. Why $30? There's no reason for it.

11. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait and get it retail.

12. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

To me, I wouldn't care how much I spend on Transformers, no matter where I buy them. BBTS is one of two online retailers I buy my TFs from, and their prices don't bother me. I've bought quite a few toys there when they went on clearance at the most ridiculously cheap prices. It's just a matter of when and what toys they put onto clearance, and seizing that opportunity to get the ones you've always wanted.

13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    ppl here need to learn how it works...I fully understand why BBTs take 30 for it. I wouldent pay it but enough ppl will and I fully understand why.

Reason has already been posted so I dont bother and if you were the owner of BBTs you would price it the same..its about making money and yes if they coudl just order Thrust then he also would be 10 but they cant..

14. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I under the whole thing about shelf warmers but it's still ridiculous to me. I am a loyal BBTS customer but it just seems a little much. I can understand paying a tad more for convenience but good grief...

15. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    You have to off-set the cost of the other xx figures in the same case assortment that WON'T sell.

And while you all complain, eventually they'll sell out. So they can just sit on their price, maybe even raise it when they see other retailers sell out, and they'll make all their money back and then some.

Brilliant business strategy.

16. Vizer

Vizer Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I gave up buying from BBTS long ago. Unless you have the "gotta have it now" mentality or are looking for something rare, most things will pop up on the Junkion Exchange here or an auction site eventually for well under there prices. I know some people swear by them, and that's fine. Obviously there business structure works, and thats good for them. From my experiences they have great customer service, I just can't justify spending the amounts of money they ask for.

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

What part of BIG and BAD don't you understand?

18. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    It will probably sell out at that price, and if it doesn't, well then they can lower it to retail price, and will almost definitely sell.

BBTS have specifically said in the past that they increase prices on some rearer items to offset the way cases assortments are put together... If that's the case though, shouldn't they lower the prices on the more common items? Perhaps my reasoning is flawed, but it seems like by not doing that, they're trying to have their energon cube and eat it so to speak.

19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    See Tim's post above.

20. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Thrust and Gears are the last "new figures" for the 2009 ROTF deluxe line. Hence why the markup on the newer guys in this wave is even more ridiculous. Things should lighten up when the 2010 product starts shipping, assuming Hasbro doesn't fill the cases with 2009 figures as well.