I'm Sorry. I Have To Gloat.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by TenScaryMonkeys, Feb 26, 2009.

1. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

So I'm down at my local comic shop yesterday picking up my Wednesday fix, and decide to peruse some of the other stuff lying around, insofar as the shop owner is having some sort of fairly severe meltdown over invoicing behind the counter, and I don't really feel like interrupting the minor stroke he's having.

Looking into one of the display cases in a less-trafficked area of the store, I notice a nondescript black book with an equally nondescript black slipcase next to it. There's a $50.00 price tag on it. It's covered in about a bazillion years worth of dust. It's entirely possible that God put it there when he opened the store at the beginning of time, and it's been resting peacefully, unnoticed, ever since.

My heart flutters a little. I know what this thing is, and I've wanted it for well over a decade. Who knows how long it's been there - it is entirely possible that I have walked past this item at least once a week since I first started going to the store and have never noticed it before.

Yesterday, I scored a copy of the 1987 Graphitti Designs edition of WATCHMEN, a book I have lusted after since first learning of its existence. I could never rationalize the $200-$300 a copy goes for at auction, and yesterday I purchased it for fifty goddamn bucks, after having blithely walked past the goddamn thing every goddamn week since the late goddamn nineties.

Hooray.

EDIT: Pictures, as per Mr. Bacharachnia's most eloquent request.

More hooray.

Attached Files:

2. burtbacharacnia

burtbacharacnia Banned

Pics or GTFO!

3. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Wow, what a find!

I'm not a comic collector, nor have I read Watchmen, but I know what it feels like to find something insanely rare when you least expect it.

It's an awesome feeling, isn't it? It's doubly better when the price is nice too. :D 

4. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

News Credits:
    Awesome find! That's a very nice edition.

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Awesome

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Kudos, man. That's quite the achievement. :thumb 

7. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I picked up Watchmen yesterday for £15, a great book... But holy cow, if I'd have seen that lying in the comic book store, I'd have snapped it up in a heartbeat and to hell with the visa bill!

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You suck.
    i utterly hate you.
    You make me sick.
    You lucky son of a Nerf Herder.

all the geek love and respect for that incredible find.

good find.

(you know, because i am still envious, the taint of hate and loathing will last another 24 hours. lol)

did that 50 bucks help stifle the man's stroke?