I'm so tired of hearing how "expensive" TFs are in the US!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Big_Daddy, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    I've read numerous posts lately, with you guys complaining about how expensive the Transformers toys are, and how a $2 price increase is "outrageous".... I want to give you some perspective, to make you realise that you are in fact very lucky to have such low prices, IMO.

Here's a comparison between US and Swedish movie toy retail prices just for the fun of it:

All conversions were made using xe.com.

Legends:

US retail: $3.99
    Swedish retail: 69 - 79 SEK = $10.58 - $12.12

Hey! We pay more for a legends figure than you pay for a deluxe!

Basic Class / Real Gear:

US retail: $6.99
    Swedish retail: 119 - 139 SEK = $18.25 - $21.32

Yes, it's the horrible truth. We pay voyager class prices for basic class!!!

Deluxe Class:

US retail: $9.99
    Swedish retail: 199 - 229 SEK = $30.53 - $35.13

Oooh, you get three deluxes for the same price as we get one for in Sweden.

Voyager Class:

US retail: $19.99
    Swedish retail: 389 - 459 SEK = $59.68 - $70.42

Nice. We pay as much for a voyager class figure as you do for three voyagers and one deluxe.

Leader Class:

US Retail: $39.99
    Swedish retail: 699 - 799 SEK = $107.24 - $122.58

We could get Ultimate Bumblebee, a voyager, and a deluxe in the US for the money we pay for a leader class figure in Sweden.

Ultimate Bumblebee:

US retail: $90
    Swedish retail: 1299 - 1499 SEK = $199.30 - $229.98

Nice! Pay for two Ultimate BBs and two voyagers - get one Ultimate Bumblebee. A fair deal?

What bothers me the most is the fact that a lot of other stuff can be bought for the same price, and sometimes less than in the US, so why should TF toys be three to four times more expensive here then?

2. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    OK, so it sucks for you guys. Though surely if there is that much of a price difference it would be less expensive for you to import.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I've never really complained about prices here in the US. I think the closest I've ever done to complaining about a price, would be about MP Prime (specifically DVD Prime), and that was a "I'm not interested in it enough to pay that much for it" situation. In the end, I never did buy one, not even when the clearenced them.

4. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I have always known that those outside the US pay a lot more for their Transformers, and do not complain about prices because of that. It is good to see, that in spite of the high prices, that there are so many international collectors here.

5. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Oh man here we go again. *Johnator waits for the fight to begin*

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I wasn't aware there was a lot of complaining about Transformer prices - except for on the secondary market *cough* ebay *cough*.

7. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Totally agree that some people get the shaft when it comes to tfs.. some people paying quadruple the price ..

When people talk.. I think they're comparing it to what they can get it for.. I don't think it's meant to offend you. I understand you want us to realize that we should stop our bitching.. but some of us are just too involved in our own little world to compare it to others... or be grateful?

Hell.. if you can even THINK about buying a TF ... you've got it better a crapload of people out there...

However.. everyone has the right to bitch and complain about anything.. (within the guidelines of TFW) :) 

8. Johnator

Totally agree but these posts almost always seem to get nasty. I think everyone has a right to complain. Hell I do it all the time but yeah it is also good to appreciate what we have. Good post.

9. noob_collection

noob_collection noob at collecting

I'm not annoyed, but I have seen my fare share of people thinking that $2 is the most crazy thing they have ever seen.

10. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

And I am SICK of people in European countries and Canada moaning about how we got it better and wanting us to play the world's smallest violin for them, when in reality we pay THE SAME OR MORE for Transformers and pretty much EVERYTHING ELSE....why dont you check out your countries minumum wage and exchange rates to US dollars before coming here and being condascending to Americans.

I have posted this before, These are minimum wages for the countries below:

Currency Converter Results
    Friday, December 07, 2007

13.74 Australian Dollar(s) = 12.0876 US Dollar(s)
    1 USD = 1.1367 AUD
    1 AUD = 0.87974 USD

and

12.50 New Zealand Dollar(s) = 9.72687 US Dollar(s)
    1 USD = 1.2851 NZD
    1 NZD = 0.77815 USD

and

5.52 British Pound(s) = 11.1968 US Dollar(s)
    1 USD = 0.493 GBP
    1 GBP = 2.0284 USD

and

8.00 Canadian Dollar(s) = 7.86164 US Dollar(s)
    1 USD = 1.0176 CAD
    1 CAD = 0.982704 USD

Then theres the US minimum wage of 5.85 which equals

5.85 US Dollar(s) = 6.64969 Australian Dollar(s)
    1 AUD = 0.87974 USD
    1 USD = 1.1367 AUD

and

5.85 US Dollar(s) = 7.51783 New Zealand Dollar(s)
    1 NZD = 0.77815 USD
    1 USD = 1.2851 NZD

and

5.52 US Dollar(s) = 2.72136 British Pound(s)
    1 GBP = 2.0284 USD
    1 USD = 0.493 GBP

and

5.85 US Dollar(s) = 5.95296 Canadian Dollar(s)
    1 CAD = 0.982704 USD
    1 USD = 1.0176 CAD

Source

http://www.gocurrency.com/

So the FACT is that many European countries have as much as 40% to TWICE the minimum wage of here in the US, Canada's is 30% higher. When you factor in cost in relation to regional wage, the cost is NEARLY THE SAME. So the guy working at walmart in the US paying 9.99 for a deluxe is THE SAME as a guy working at woolworths or whatever in the UK paying 10 GBP.

There are some anamolies, where TFs cost significantly more in some countries like I dont know, maybe Peru, but Europe and Canada DON'T fall into that category.

Like I have said before, Since WHEN is the US MSRP for ANYTHING the benchmark of what it should cost for the rest of the world?

I wont dispute you guys have distro problems, but thats it.

11. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    :eek: 

12. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, but how much do you Swedes have to pay for Ikea furniture? Sure, we get our TFs cheap, but then we don't have an inexpensive yet trendy way of displaying them. This disparity must end. :) 

-Tony!
    Likes when threads turn to people complaining about people complaining about people complaining.

13. adam-x

adam-x megazord activate,,

qft!!!! I agree

14. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes the USA is super cheap compared to many other countries, however their economy is weak as shit and their dollar value reflects this. So things look a lot cheaper than they actually are.

15. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im so tired.

16. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Well-Known Member

The minimum wage in the US is an interesting critter because it's so low that it mainly affects starter jobs and people who live in "poorer" sections of the country with lower cost of living.

So to be sure that a minimum wage comparison holds up you need to also factor in the percentage of the population that actually gets that little as well as compare those statistics to things like cost of living.

It would be better to compare the increased cost of a product which result from things like Value Added Taxes and Duties — which are generally MUCH higher in Europe where they have to pay to support governments that offer a 'high level of services' compared to the States.

I would be curious what part of the prices that bigpete quoteed is the retailer and which is someone else who has their hand in the cookie jar.

Also as an aside: except for the North Sea issue, I still don't know why some cruise liner doesn't built an entertainment and shopping "liner" to cruise just outside of national boundaries for 2 day tours. Maybe with smaller ships running passengers to and fro so the ship doesn't actually make port. It makes more sense that people flying over here to shop (and would use less fuel too).

Kinda like the Mall of America on the high seas.

17. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, but those costs, like health care, end up getting paid for anyway- just not via taxes. Not to bring up the whole US health care debate- I'm just saying that if we had socialized medicine, then we'd also have higher taxes to go with it- meaning less take home pay for Joe and Shaniqua American, but less out-of-pocket expenses, too.

18. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think though that sometimes people outside of the US are a little too defensive about this subject. I understand the price differences for sure, but any tiny little remark about price as someone from the US and someone is gonna jump down your throat, no matter what.

I certainly don't want to start any arguments or anything, but I'm just saying, you know, I don't have very much money, and if I make a remark about simply wishing I could afford the toys easier, someone is liable to pull the "YEAH WELL TRY PAYING OUR PRICES YOU ASS" flame on me, and that's happened a lot. In some cases, it's warranted I'm sure, but not always entirely necessary perhaps.

19. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:

Those are the recommended retail prices from Hasbro Nordic, and most stores follow them, but some stores set their own prices.

Look, I wasn't trying to start a war or anything, and I certainly wasn't trying to flame anyone. It's just that I got upset when people complained about the alleged $2 price increase and I thought it was ridiculous. I just needed to vent some steam, and if I offended anyone, I'm sorry.

Now, back on track:

US middle class citizens make roughly twice as much money as middle class Swedes. Can't say if that goes for the rest of Europe though. Sweden has one of the highest and toughest taxing programs in the world, on top of that. Let's say my salary is 20000 SEK per month just to make it easy to calculate. 32% income tax to begin with, and that leaves us with 13600 SEK. The we have social fees, fees for unemployment insurance, and another 25% VAT on top of all that! Yup, we get taxed twice before we even get our own salary into our hands! That leaves us with roughly 12500 SEK. Now, we have to pay the bills (and the 25% VAT is put on those as well...), 5000 SEK for a small 2-room apartment, 1000 SEK for electricity, 500 for phone, 300 for broadband, 500 for a TV-license (yes, we have to pay the government 500 SEK every quarter for the right to listen to the radio and watch TV!), 1000 on car insurance, and this was a cheap month! That leaves us with 4200 SEK. Then we need food, another expensive thing. Two people can get just enough food to last a month for about 2500 SEK (with 25% VAT included of course). 1700 SEK left. Then we need gas in the car. That's 12 SEK per liter (50% gas tax included), and a car uses up anywhere from 50-100 liters per month depending on how much you drive. That's 600-1200 SEK, leaving us with only 500 - 1100 SEK to use for what we want. When Ultimate Bumblebee costs 1299 - 1499 SEK, you see what I'm talking about here? Go figure.

20. Johnator

Here is the bottom line. It sucks whenever ANY Transformer goes up in price. We all make different incomes right? So to some people no matter the increase (unless really extreme) it makes no difference because they can afford it. To others even a few bucks makes a big difference in their collection. If Transformers go up in the UK it sucks for them and I sympathize. Same for Brazil or Canada or the US. No matter where the place is it is not cool for them and they are entitled to complain about it. Since we are all fans why can't we just agree it is lame and move on? We have more important things to bitch about like why I think Animated Megatron's robot mode is cool but the alt mode is a pile of junk. :wink: