I'm so dumb.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OptimusTron97, May 9, 2011.

1. OptimusTron97

OptimusTron97 I like the red water

A couple weeks ago I went through a phase. It was the " I'm done with transformers" phase. I was expecting to leave my hobby for a long time, and coming back later. But then I realized why I was going through this little phase. It turns out that if I don't buy transformers for a while, I become uninterested. Now, with an online order shipped and on the way, and tons of spending money, I'm extremely interested again. It seems as if I don't buy them regularly, I lose my love for collecting. It's a terrible thing, but also a kind of funny one.

I was just wondering, does anyone have the same habit or similar habits?

2. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Every once and again it happens to me as well. But the drought of new toys in New England certainly hasn't helped matters either.

3. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    For a month or so, I lacked the funds to buy much of anything. And it was in that month, that I had no new shiny Transformers. I actually found that I wasn't dying from plastic crack starvation.
    Then I bought Generations Scourge.
    Nevermind.

4. OptimusTron97

This is so true. I only ever go to Hudson walmart with my family, and it SUCKS.
    It's possibly one of the worst wallyworlds in NH.

5. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

I was like this for a long time.

Then I bought Beast Wars on DVD. Now instead of one Transformer shelf I have four and a half.

6. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I get like this when I'm gone traveling for work. I forget I even have transformers. When I get back to them, I dot even want them. Then I see somethng I like and it starts all over again.

7. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    During the A/E/C years would probably be my lowest point. If it wasnt for Animated I would probably been done for sure.

8. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

I tend to get this way when the movie stuff comes out. I dont buy movie toys so I kinda lose sight of transformers for a few months.

9. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    ..aren't you the kid that made a topic announcing your leaving the fandom?

10. OptimusTron97

Yeah this little phase was what that whole topic was about. I thought I was "growing up" but I was simply just taking an odd break. It feels good to be back into it though.

11. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

Piss on growing up. Don't ever let anyone guilt you into thinking that, not even yourself.

Back on topic: The only 2 times I ever felt vaguely like this was at the end of G1, when I thought Transformers was over for good, at the end of G2, when I thought the same, and at the end of Beast Wars, when the Beast Machines toys were so awful and I again thought Transformers had died. Basically, I only thought I was done because I thought Transformers were done.

I'll never give it up, though. I might go through spells when I don't get any new stuff (like during the movie lines), but I always have my shelves to look at and the next new series to anticipate.

27 years of collecting is hard to just quit.

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Sounds like you are in it more for the thrill of getting something new. There's actually a disorder where people order stuff just for the feeling they get when something arrives in the mail.

13. OptimusTron97

You know what, I like what you said. Growing up is something you never really need to do, just look at all the members of this site. If you love something you never have to grow out of it if you don't want to.

No, I definitely don't have that. I actually kind of hate ordering things online, waiting sucks, and I kind of have ADHD. I've never been diagnosed, but some of my friends have it, and I act just like them, I can't stay still. The thrill lasts long after buying something, toys are just too much fun for me.

14. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

Like many others, i have enjoyed a lifetime of transformers. Literally my entire 27 year life. A few dud toy lines or some dry spells doesn't effect that.

Sometimes I question why people collect things, much less Transformers. I think these days, in many cases collecting hobbies are just means for people to buy things. The lovely endless desire for stuff. The dream of consuming.

Oh well. I enjoy others sharing my hobby and my interests... but when people get obsessed, spend a boatload of money and then months later decide to sell it all... the long time fans just benefit from their sales. Sad to see people go, but hopefully healthier for them. That is unless they move on to something else to obsess over.

15. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    I went through that phase a while back. Right now, I haven't seen a new toy in MONTHS. I got two really old HTFD figures to catch up on but that is it. But I still love my Transformers. I still go Ga-ga over United Jazz and I love my Amazon Black Prime (sig). I get excited whenever I put my figures in the light box. You and I don't have too much separation in age, but when I went through the phase I was about 8 or 10. That is when I lost interest bc the lack of media. The movie Rekindled that love and this site opened me up to the world of Transformers. Even though I'm 'young' in Body, I am not in Mind or collection. People think It is odd to collect 'kids toys' but It is far from that. In a way, Transformers have opened me up to many other forms of enjoyment such as the purchasing of my xbox360 (which connected me to many friends) and my camera (which has opened up a Pandora's box of want).
    So if you are ever feeling like something is just a little lost, just look. Look at what you have. It may be 10 Transformers, It may be 5,000, but just look at them and the love and devotion you put into ANY bit of it brings you right back.

16. Mr. Ginrai

Mr. Ginrai Godmaster

I stopped about 10-15 years ago (I was around 15 or so at the time, 27 currently) but still bought them when I saw them. I didn't go hunting, parts diving, etc. plus I felt prices at the time were getting really high, but nothing like they are now so I should have kept at it. It took me a long time to rebuild my network but I have made many new and more reliable contacts along the way and it has been a gateway to my other toylines as well.

When classics 1st wave came out and Netkid showed me classics Starscream on the shelf it lit the fuse and I have gone nuts since then. I am very close now to all of US G1 and that is with the help of local guys, craigslist, ebay, tfw and two Botcons ('07 and '10).

I have jumped in and out over the few years since I got back in, it is tough. I would stop when G1 prices rose too much (by my standards) like during the movie releases and moved back to the other lines I was working on (MASK, Silverhawks, Thundercats, other robot lines etc.) for anywhere from two months to 8 months at a time.

It is tough to stay focused because now there really is just about half of the expensive or cheap but just uncommon stuff that I need, and believe me, everytime I get a call now and someone says that the lot starts with an Optimus Prime (even boxed) I get sick, because I have seen or have so many of them.

Everyone needs to take time off to organize what they have, especially if you are not keeping track. If you are going for all G1 and you have disposable income, I suggest starting with the big $ or rare later stuff first and work back, otherwise buy what you like. I feel that the early stuff will always be there due to the volumes it was made in and there being no factors like GPS, fading, cheap parts etc. like with the later stuff.

I do buy a lot of parts or single figures more now, but also still buy in large volume (small collections) for a person my age (I probably would have been done with G1 a long time ago if I just bought figure by figure but it would have cost a lot more). If completion of the line is not your goal, just buy what you like, but my problem was I started to find and like stuff I never had so much that I just said, "ah, there's not much left, I'll just go for the whole thing if the pricing is right".

And do I regret it? Not one bit. Every G1 from Prime to micromasters is awesome, save for the non-cool half of the pretenders and the rest of action masters. When I finish those two segments off I might have a different answer.

Most important thing for you to realize: Even if you miss the steal of the century on an item, no matter the price, there is always another one out there. Trust me, I know. All you have to do is look and be patient. Collecting is about the hunt, it's no fun if you win the lottery and could have the whole collection tomorrow. I'd start from scratch all over again!

Also: Going to the store and staring at empty shelves month after month because your local stores decided not to pick up generations to save room for movie 3 stuff is a real pisser too.

17. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude inimitable, original

News Credits:
    to the whole thing of growing up, we all grow up. However, growing up does not mean stopping collecting. that's growing out of something. growing up has more to do with being mature as a person, rather than having mature hobbies. Sure, transformers toys and collectibles are targeted towards children, for the most part, but that doesn't mean buying them makes us less mature people.

anyways, the best way to examine this is to see if even things you've bought some time ago still hold value to you. that way, we can see if it truly is just the thrill of getting something new, or the thrill of the transformers franchise and/or good toys. ask yourself seriously which it is.