Im Rich!...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KA, Dec 4, 2007.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ...IM WEALTHY! IM FHFINANCIALLY THTHECURED!

this place needed more looney tunes reference anyway.

anyways, seriahsly, me (and wifey) recently made a big breakthrough recently. the wife and i do contracts (architectural/interior design related) and thanks to a most gracious client (and future patron) weve been closing mad deals recently. couple'a weeks ago i closed a builtin (furniture) contract at just under 150 grand (relax, its in MYR) but then wifey had to show me up and close a 190 grand contract on of all things...get this: curtains. got the deposit and she was like, holy shit ima holding a 100 grand cheque.

this all basically for a 3 month contract and including fees, were talking 'bout at least a hundred grand profit (before tax of course).

anyway, it feels good getting to this point in business (we came into self employment - kinda - abt 3-4 years back), and i assure you despite our white collar background we are most blue collar in attitude. those times you see me spamming it up when its 3am here? those are my most productive hours.

any words of wisdom from youse guy who went thru something similar? thx for reading.

2. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Congratulations!

As for advice, the only thing I can say, is don't let it go to your head. :)  My parents won the lottery a few years ago, and in cases where people suddenly have more money then they're used to, there's always the urge to go out and spend spend spend. It would probably be a good idea to invest some of it, or put some away for retirement, etc.

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

nice one man, hard work pays off sometimes. i guess you can buy me something nice for my b-day ;) 

4. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

lucky for some

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    the wife and i live decently as it is, personal finance isnt an issue, i was hoping more to hear professional advice.

for instance, we basically run a one man show and work from home. so weve got to consider stuff like expansion and scale of operations and stuff.

6. smangerbot

well i guess it all depends on the volume of work you're getting, i worked for myself for 2 years and at times i had to 'employ' a few people. i also got stung by some non-paying customers, which led to me giving up my own business. so be careful of that, but you probably already are.

7. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Ah, I see. Can't help ya there. I'm a stay at home dad, with no knowledge of such things. :p 

8. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Pay off your house. One less payment each month makes a huge difference in the amount of money you will have month to month to spend/invest.

If you rent, then take the 100K and buy a house.

No housing payment FTW!

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    KA - I don't know how, in text form, to offer you the amount of congratulations I'm feeling right now. To get to that point as an independent business, in the field you're talking about, is probably a combination of miraculous and terrifying and I'm really happy that you and the wife have gotten to this comfortable - fuck comfortable, how about smooth - point in your life.

Insane Galvatron's got the one biggest piece of advice I was going to give. Also, I'd suggest dropping a serious portion of that cash into a college fund for your behbeh. Those days will come sooner than you think, and it'll be nice to have a bigass reserve of cash for that day that your li'l one has to pay international tuition to go to Caltech or MIT or something. :D 

Again, congrats.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    :lol 

guys, guys, MYR, malaysian ringgit :lol  100g's myr = approx 30g's usd

i said i made a breakthrough, not lifestyles of the rich and famous :lolol 

11. smangerbot

does that mean no birthday present then?

12. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

pay off any debt, set some back. give me most of it. thats that best idea

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Can I finally get my $2 back now?

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    ya rly, 150,000 MYR = 45,000 USD

Congrats! I have a few self-employed friends (I prefer the corprate teat m'self) and as far as expansion, they tend to focus on capital improvements. Equipment, facilities, one-time stuff like that. Clients like to know you are top-of-the-line and you don't give that impression with a 10-year-old truck.

If you have any left over, come visit me.

...Um, we have a big mall.

15. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Congrats mate :)  I'm starting out a business myself at the minute, so the day something like that happens I'm gonna be chuffed to fuck.

16. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Congrats KA! .. Man.. i love working at night too.. it's so much more calming for some reason.. oh well.... I'm not at a place where i can do that.. or even smart/bold enough to do what you were able to do. :) 

Yea.. consider an analysis of your business.. bring in an analyst if you have to?... determine if you should be expanding right now.. if you can put anything into the business to make it grow...

if not.. and you don't have any debt.. then i would consider investing into something just for the time being .. not sure what kind of investments malaysia has.. just diversify.. if you can flip houses on 100 MYR.. try for that.. I don't know the housing situation over here :eek: 

Here.. I know people who flip houses without putting any of their own money down and make crazy profits...

17. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Take a small amount- say less than 10%- and spend it on something frivolous. Then re-apply the remaining amount towards your business.

18. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

Start doing cocaine. Maybe heroin. That's my advice.

19. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Why did that just remind me of the best lines in the movie "Better Off Dead".

"I want my 2 dollars!!!"

Man my head is stuck back in the 80's.

20. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

You might want to start thinking about hiring some help. Have you also thought about doing some international stuff?