I'm really getting to know my childhood hero

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Prowl, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instead of raping my childhood TF: Prime is doing something that I am starting to appreciate more and more with each episode.

I'm starting to feel like Optimus Prime is a real fleshed-out character. Always loved him as a kid, and his heroic, unmoving, determination. But now I feel like the character that I've only known on the surface is becoming a character that feels real and just as fleshed-out as some of my other comic book favorites. This combination of WFC, Exiles and Exodus, as well as TF: Prime are doing wonders for these characters.

I know the comics have always touched on this, but it's nice to see that Hasbro is somewhat realizing this plan to make one coherent story to the Transformers mythology. For me, it's seeing Prime come to life like never before.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

I'm a big fan of the show, but I wouldn't exactly agree with you in saying Optimus Prime is really fleshed-out as a character. He's shown many of his noble qualities and a lot of battlefield prowess, but until One Shall Fall, One Shall Rise Parts 1-3, and these Orion Pax episodes, I feel he hasn't exactly gotten a lot of character moments for himself.

(By the way, could you please put a space between the colon and "P" in "TF: Prime"? It's odd seeing a lip-licking smiley in the show's title. Heh.)

3. Thilda

Thilda Treat your mother right!

News Credits:
    Many people were complaining that TFP Optimus character is pretty flat. It's true that until the season finale we didn't get big flashy epic character moments like with Arcee or Starscream but it's not true that they didn't flesh out Optimus during the whole season 1. It was just more subtle without big signs telling the audience: Lookit character moment!

In TFP Optimus is emotionally distant because this is what being a Prime requires. As funny as "Optimus do you want to see something funny?" "No." or "Primes don't party" lines are, it's also very tragic- especially when we know that he didn't use to be that way. Through the entire season we watched how Optimus has to deal with hard decisions, struggling not to lose what makes Autobots different from the 'Cons. You can even feel his presence when he isn't even there like in 'Rock Bottom'.

I really prefer the mature Optimus that has to deal with the burden of being a leader rather than another 'zero to hero' story (like Animated Optimus) that for me works best in Disney movies.

4. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    /heads into thread, ready to discuss/

/hits 'raping my childhood'/

/exits thread/

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lol, sure, I'll fix that. But yeah, I was referring to these last 6 episodes, including the ones from last season. I'm really getting a feel for the type of "person" prime is. I want more of this. Bloody hell, I want more.

Too bad you didn't read more. :rolleyes: 

6. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    QFT- i never really understood why people said his character was flat in season one- he's a Prime, he has to remain somewhat objective and detached in order to fulfill his role. Ratchet said as much in response to the moment you mentioned. Being stoic, practical, and focused is still valid character development

7. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Me too. It's satisfying seeing the change (albeit in reverse) from a moral but naive data clerk to a Prime, weary with the burden of responsibility and the losses he's faced. Seeing that go full circle again is going to be an interesting look at who he is, beneath the demi-god skin that is Prime-hood.

I'm interested in the direction the next episode will go in. We know
    he becomes Optimus Prime again, but is he simply restored (boring), or does the key fail somehow and he chooses to do it out of his central goodness and sense of morality and have to learn it again over the course of the season (much more exciting)?

I really hope the show goes for the latter approach.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not only do I hope that it goes for the approach you just mentioned, but it would be awesome if this was their plan all along, and a reason for naming the show Prime.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I feel the same way about Starscream. He's the first real Starscream I adore.

Honestly Optimus is broing as hell to me, mostly the voice and body language, but I see where you're coming from.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is the first Starscream that I feel for. He almost had good intentions initially, warning Megatron about the dark energon. Now his intentions seem to be in line with his traditional self, with that added depth of character that the show seems to bring. The Partners episode actually had me second-guessing his intentions.

11. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I love these new interpretations of the characters. Hasbro really knows what they want to do with the brand now. Transformers isn't just a vehicle to sell toys anymore. It's a huge media franchise, with movies, comic books, TV shows and video games. And with this, they have to think of it as a media franchise, with actual fleshed out characters.

12. walnuts

walnuts Well-Known Member

That is the biggest plus for me. Everything before was made with the sole aim of selling toys. However, now with the success of the three movies, raking in over $2.5 billion combined, Hasbro realise they can actually make money from just media alone, with the toys a nice sideshow. As a result, we're seeing some good stuff come out in tv shows, comics and video games.

Truly a great time to be a Transfan :>!

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't find the strength to bitch so much when this is so true. Where the movies don't please, the show does. Where the show might not, the game does. And then there's the comics. We really have it pretty good right now.

14. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

Yeah I guess your right ! The only thing that's missing is the toyline for the comic designs !

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hell, I even have a Transformers show to watch with my 6-year-old.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime has been getting better since the season one finale. Hopefulyl when Orion becoems Optimus again it;s not rushed out and feels anti-climatic.

But you know it will....

17. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

Shh there's still hope that they'll make that transition awesome :) 

I hope with this new season that we will get to see a lot more of Optimus' character.