I'm--or rather my toys are in the local newspaper!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by EShadowP, Feb 17, 2012.

1. EShadowP

EShadowP Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty cool little section run by the Chicago Reader called Show us your...
    They saw my blog and gave me a call.

It showed up in today's print version and here's the online version:

Show us your . . . Transformers

2. Hype1

Hype1 D Witwicky biographer

that is SOOO friggin cool dude! congrats!

3. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

nice!!!! :D 

4. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's pretty cool, nice collection and it's a nice portrayal of you and your family :) .

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Hahahh great stuff, and I can totally relate to the part about starting a discussion about what're toys & what aren't.

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Nice write up. It was not negative at all.

I liked the part about your kid and if I may I would li0ke to share my advice about collection vs toys.

I allowed my 2 year old nephews in my room and they never touched a thing. Kids will understand that these belong to you and they are not toys. Do yourself a favor though and get him toys of his own. Also, and this is the biggest thing. The child will eventually relate the room to spending quality time with you, they will have interest in the Transformers but the real reason for them wanting to go in the room is to be with you. My nephews are now 10 and they only go in the room with me even though they know they can go alone whenever they like. The reason? They want to spend time with me not the toys.

7. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    Collectibles. Yes but in the end they are all toys. Even masterpiece figures

8. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's awesome man!

9. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I like "Nowadays, being a nerd is sort of cool." When I was in school kids who spent a lot of time on computers were picked on. Now everyone's online!

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Nice.
    Yeah. Was nice for once that a TF fan wasn't portrayed as an overweight parent's basement-dwelling virgin emo pervert serial killer to be that has body odour and probably a small penis.
    If I was running that part of the paper I'd open it to all kinds of abuse. :p 

11. EShadowP

EShadowP Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks, everyone!

The main reason the room will be off limits to him initially will be that those shelves are simply dangerous until he's of a certain age. That being said, the other half of that room is his mother's prized possession, her library. I hope we can foster the same connection with books and a love of reading.
    He'll have plenty of toys, but he'll only have his own Transformers if he wants them (aside from the Rescue Bots Optimus I already bought him, even though he's still too young ;)  ). I hope he finds them as cool as I did when I was a kid, but if giant robots turn out not to be his thing, that's fine too.
    Truth. The part about trying to figure out the strategy of the "Collectibles vs. Toys" discussion is mostly a joke... mostly. :lol 

Ha! Literally made me laugh out loud. That was epic.

12. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    A pinto and a 1969 Corvette are both cars....I will let you figure out the rest.

It is all perception and once a collector gets his hands on a TF and adds it to a cherished collection it becomes much more than a toy. Yes you can keep it real and always look at them as merely toys but can anyone tell me that something like Hercules is JUST A TOY?

Transformers is a franchise that is nearing its 30th anniversary. There are people here old enough that have been collecting since 1984 (not kids but young adults who collect and never played with them). Speaking of them Transformers has one of the largest subculture fandoms around. Yes they are toys but yes they are collectables.

When I can buy FE Bulkhead for $20 on the shelf and sell it for $100 the same day on eBay then this is not your average toy.

To the OP, another thing with your son. Allow him to touch the figures with you there once in a while. Like with Alcohol the kid who is not told it is the devil will most likely not abuse it when he is of age. The kid that is kept away from alcohol and has parents that treat it like a great evil are usually the kids that become alcoholics by 15. I make it a rule to not say no too much and to also not say yes too much when they ask to see a figure. This is to keep the figures very special in the childs mind but also show them that they are not overly precious and that your love for them superceeds the colelction. And more reasons but I don;t want to write out a psychology report on the subject. lol You can also show them how to handle them carefully (trust me they love it) and it is awesome watching those little hands trying to be gentle with the figures (they always over do it). I'm much rougher (rougher not rough) with my figures than they will ever be and if one tips over or falls you should see how freaked out they get while I just tell them thats fine, nothing broke. lol They are now the protectors of my collection, if anything happens to it while I'm gone I get a report from them as soon as I get home lol. With Transformers or books it is all about the psychology.

13. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Awesome, and the story was nicely written up and very positive.

If anything....need more, bigger pics! :D 

14. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    Mother of God...

15. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Nice collection!

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice, congrats dude!

17. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Congratulations, that was a very nice article. I've recently discovered your blog and didn't realize that you posted on TFW. I really like the version of your blog optimized for the iPad.

18. J2DK

J2DK Fan

This is really cool and your collection is impressive. I only started collecting last year, but my 5-year-old knows to be more careful with them than her legends/cyberverse toys.