Heavy/Scratch: I'm on the third planet. Chase me!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by fakebusker83, Mar 10, 2010.

1. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    !!%&@*dFbtgYR--__8*} ---->//////;:---initiating transmission-!10111101011101011010101111 : : :

Sideswipe, remember me? This is Sideways, your old friend.*

[​IMG]

Remember the past, Sideswipe. Remember the lessons learnt. Remember how i ripped out your blades from your pathetic, loose sockets. How you laid at my feet, chopped and chain-whipped.

[​IMG]
    yep, that's your arm. it now hangs on my kitchen wall. i dust it daily.

But you haven't learnt anything. You still crave punishment. How I long to fulfill that craving and tear your pipes out with my claws. Torch your pretty little face with my plasma rifle. And eventually, rip out your other arm.

[​IMG]

You should have learnt the lesson of fear. It'll help keep you alive a long time. Know this, jock-bot, I can never be defeated by the likes of you.

I've heard you are out there looking for me. Well, hurry now. Time and tides.

[​IMG]

I'm on the third planet, Sideswipe. I'm waiting.://///////#^!DE>>>?}}------S#fAS8**9:\\\
    -end of transmission- *​

Attached Files:

2. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Yeah, so hi there.

I love Sideways, in more ways than one. I really like his bot mode, and I think his alt mode Audi is the sexiest car of all the ROTF vehicles. Too bad he died so tragically but his character in the game kicked ass.

So imagine my horror when the deluxe figure appeared.

Hence to address the injustice that was deluxe Sideways, here is my custom version. This was after months of work and I have got to the point where I'm making more mistakes and being tired of continually fixing them. Hence, the decision to finally release him here.

I started molding and sculpting to make it as accurate to the Audi R8 as possible. Also, I gave him a proper paint job, not the grey-red-pink nonsense on the stock toy. I particularly loved the circuit pattern on the roof. Fascinating.

[​IMG]

Other detailings such as the vent fins and Audi logos are added as well. I’m especially proud of the logos. Inspired by a jeweler friend of mine, I made them by intricately soldering wire. Yes sir, they are 3D emblems, not paint, decals or stickers.

Vent fins on the front and back are delicately sculpted epoxy, by the way. Those were nerve-wracking to work with.

Additionally, I gave him more respectable weapons. His sniper rifle was inspired by the one in the game, and his chainsaw from the ROTF comic adaption first issue (thanks Ra88 for the info!):

[​IMG]

He has an auxiliary chainsaw which fits on the other hand. Dual-wielding for Sideswipe-slicing moments!

[​IMG]

LEDs are added as a final step for the final oomph in realism and toy justice served. There are 2 modes for the LEDs, to fit the bot and alt mode respectively.

[​IMG]

Embarrassing moment #1: For now, Sideways has plenty of junk in the trunk. The wiring is simply too messy to look a natural robot. Guess if I ever feel the urge to do another one I'll have to think of other solutions.

[​IMG]

Embarrassing moment #2: For this custom, I used gunze acrylic on top of a Mr Color lacquer base, with future clear as a final coat. I still have problems with dents and scratches, and the notorious transformation of Sideways isn't helping the paint stay on. Does anyone have any advice on stronger paint coats and paint protection? I have half a mind to switch to all lacquers for future projects, sigh.

As usual, the flickr is here.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

3. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    due i HATE Sideways as a character, but this is a completely badass custom! great job!

4. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    ...Wow, the paint may be easily scratched, but it looks absolutely perfect! Nearly flawless! The lights are perfect as well, and the wires actually fit in a bit, it being a movie-former and all. :lol  EXCELLENT job with making it look like an actual R8 as well!

The only thing that looks a bit weird is the sniper rifle weapon, it's a bit too big and clunky. But that's minor nitpicking, and doesn't detract from the sheer perfection of this. :thumb  Excellent work!

Oh, and the panel comes from the first issue of the movie adaptation.

5. jetfire4321

jetfire4321 Banned

what a suprise i never knew it would be sideways hell ya

6. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    god i love sideways. can i have this please?

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    There's something wrong with your post. It should look more like this:

I'm sorry, if you want this, you're gonna have to go through me. :duel 

:) poke @ blue death and Deceptigtar)

I absolutely love this custom. The only thing missing is a shipping box with my address on it. Please fix this problem :) 

8. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Best Sideways custom yet :thumb 

9. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

looks awesome man. And as for your "embarassing moment #1", I dont' think thats a big deal. You added lights to a deluxe toy for crying out loud! and the loose wires and things adds something to it in my mind. Very cool.

Randy!

10. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Man I love that pic with the cityscape background, thought it was a movie still at first. Absolutely amazing custom :) 

11. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    first u bring us your awesome kitty ravage and now this

man u got the skills
    i hate this figyre so much i hate the bay formers in any way ,but u took this ugky mf and made him a beaut

10/10

12. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    Best. Sideways. Ever.

13. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    That's gorgeous. I like the look of the wires.

14. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    QFT.

That is some spectacular work, from the paintjob to the LEDs all the way to the actual molded Audi symbol. :thumb 

15. doomtron

doomtron 3p noob

News Credits:
    impressive

16. GerardusMaximus

GerardusMaximus Deceptocreep

Beautiful and you know what, somehow the messy wiring at the back kinda work for me, gives you the feeling of a mecha-bio something (cant really find the word for it)!

17. hunterbeaner

hunterbeaner Active Member

those LEDs looks awesome

18. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awww...why? He died such a sad death. We'd gotta show him some love! Besides. It's the fact that he received such neglect in the movie that I felt compelled to do this custom.

Thanks Ra88!
    For the sniper rifle, I agree. Too bad I don't have any longish, sniperriflish weapon laying around and I still want him to be able to fire projectiles. Maybe for attempt #2...?

Who were you expecting? :) 

Natch, sweeties. Sideways is gonna stay at my place playing with pieces of Sideswipe.
    @Superquad7: I knew you are a big fan of Sideways, and I'm glad you like this one!

Thanks guys, but I'll like to give Spurt Reynolds the honour. His Sideways repaint was a big inspiration for me.

Now I'm comforted to know that at least people don't mind the messiness so much. Maybe it's just the lighting in the photos that hid the ugly :lol 

I believe the term is correct. Bio-mechanical.

Thank you for the comments!

To say it looks like a movie still really made my day :)  YeeHa!

Ah...you remember that cat! Nice...
    I'm the opposite though; I love many of the movie designs mainly due to the level of detailing. But yes in terms of overall design sense many still fall short. Sideways especially so.

Glad you like it :) 
    But seriously, I wish I can work as fast as you. You seem to come up with a new custom every other week!

Thank you!

19. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    How can you hate a character that you barely see in the movie? But yes, BADASS CUSTOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :bay 

20. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome, and I love the backstory you gave him.