Customs: I'm on the Future Finish wagon

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by wylungz, Oct 4, 2009.

1. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

well for the past two weeks i've been researching and trying to find out wats the best clear coat i can use....

i have two customs thats been done and painted and cured for the pass week and a half and i also have two customs i want to start painting soon...

i've caved in and started to use future on my two already painted customs.. people say that future may react to tamiya paints.. but if they have been cured long enough it should be fine...

so.. so far. i've applied a coat and i see no reaction and its looking good so far..

questions!

- how many coats do you guys usually apply on? 1-2-3?
    - how long should i wait between coats?
    - how long will it take to dry -24-48 hrs?

after this i guess ill try Future to thin my paints so in the end the future clear coat i apply wont have a problem in any kind of reaction..

so wylun customs is on the FUTURE FINISH WAGON!

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Future takes 15 mins or so to dry, but to fully cure it takes at least 8 hrs. I generally wait the full 8 hrs before I touch the parts.

Lately, I've been mixing Future in with my paint while I paint instead of waiting until a finishing coat. I've been getting better results because the Future self-levels, thus self-leveling my paint quite a bit. It's reduced my sanding time dramatically.

3. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    I've been doing this lately as well. 'Twas another great idea stolen from you, Allen. :thumb 

4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Glad to help man :)  I hope it works out for you as well as it's working for me. I absolutely LOVE the effects with doing it that way :) 

5. wylungz

how much future should i use to thin out my paint.. (tamiya)...

mampy said to pour out some paint that ur going to use.. and try to get the consistency of milk..

any thoughts?

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    This is a bit tricky to answer. However, I'll say that less is more here. If you glop on Future, it'll dry that way. As I've said, I have been mixing Future with my paint. Here's how I'm doing it:

1. I get a container to pour a very small amount of Future in.
    2. I dip my brush in my paint.
    3. With paint on my brush, I dip my brush into the container that I've allotted for Future. (I plan on using a single color, as I don't want to mix colors here).
    4. Future will thin my paint, and typically I want the paint to cover the area, so I don't mix much Future with my paint.

That's pretty much it. Another thing you can also do is use a full coat of Future as a top coat. Again, I recommend using a tiny amount, essentially enough to wet my brush with Future, but not so much where it's a huge glop. However, too thin of a coat of Future will dry really quickly and brushmarks will show up. I really think it's one of those processes of trial and error, where you get a feel for everything instead of having a very precise formula.

7. wylungz

awesome dude, thats really good information and i really appreciate it.. right now im doing a dummy custom .. actually as we speak lol.. i poured some paint into a cup and droped alittle future in it and mixed it together.. but if ur idea of dipping the brush w/ paint into a cup of future works for you.. then i shall try that myself also

ya i kno its a trial and error thing that only i will prob figure it to see wat best fits me.. but i thank you and everyone else for ur help..

8. wylungz

ohya SUPERQUAD7... just wondering why do u do ur technique? did u have a problem with mixing the paints or is it just ur preference?

9. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

Future does take off tamiya paint like magic BUT you have to soak it in future for days for it to remove fully cured tamiya paint.. I posted a thread here many months back about the miracle of future removing specifically tamiya paint. LOL

so in short nothing to really worry about it stripping paint with future just applying it and letting it dry

10. wylungz

see something like wat u just said just amazes me of wat the hell future really is... it really is as Superquad7 said... duck tape to a redneck... haha. no offense to any rednecks in here...

but ya i use tamiya paints only cuz thats wat they have around me.. and i was alittle hesitant on using future given all talk about how it can kill tamiya paints.. but so far. so good.. ive got two customs on the shelf that have been painted and cured for about 2 weeks and i applied my future on them.. and its been about 3 days and i can see a significant difference as the days go on .. getting harder.. shinier.. smoother.. so im pretty impressed with stuff..

and right now im working on a dummy paint job .. actually mixing the future w/ the paint and then i'll also apply a coat of future for protection in the end.. all trial and error and tests and experimenting for me the next couple of weeks i guess haha.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    You essentially answer your question to me for me. :lol  I typically don't mix Future in with paint, because once it's done there's no going back. Doing it the way I'm doing it, the only paint that is affected is the paint on my brush.

I will note at this point that I do not use Tamiaya paints. I'll also say that I have absolutely nothing against them. At one point, I was able to get a lot of Testors acrylics very cheap, and Krylon Fusion is still on the shelf. I do work 90% or more with acrylics. I do use some sprays for base coats a bit more than I used to, but I still brush most of my paint on, especially the top coat (which I still do 100% of the time).

These are my preferences because I've found them all to work best for me. None of these are things I'd fight tooth and nail on, though. I've seen just as many artists work with enamels as I have with acrylics, both of which make great work. I've seen many use sprays while I still like to use brushes. Hopefully, what I share can work for more than myself and my work. :) 

I'll also say these are all things I've either tried or do because I've found them to work and work well for me. I've also seen artists do things even at the suggestions of others to do otherwise, only to ignore advice and still continue doing things that don't work well. I always like to be in a place where I'll re-evaluate things I'm doing for their effectiveness. :)