I'm obsessed with figure scale!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gettogaara, Jun 18, 2012.

1. gettogaara

gettogaara Well-Known Member

Okay, I can't be the only one that's like this. I don't know what it is but if my figures aren't in scale with each other it drives me nuts. For example, although I'm not a big pokemon fan I've got a decent amount of their figures. I want to get rid of the Special edition Salamence because he's just grossly out of scale with the other pokemon. He's around the size of the deluxe Dialga and Palkia figures while Charizard, who's bigger than him is only 2 inches.

It's not just that though. Obviously when your collection is as varied as mine is, it's hard to get everything to be in a specific scale. Which is why I feel the need to keep figures of diffrent scales as far away from each other as possible. I don't know it's like I've got OCD when it comes to stuff like this lol. Just wondering if anyone else has the same or similar problems?

2. GAUGE

GAUGE Transformers Fan since 1985

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    if you were buying toys just based on scale. your in trouble.

nothing is in scale. especially pokemon, any action figures. nothing.

and if everything was in scale...holy crap would we need a ton more room for our collectibles..

3. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    dude. we're transformers fans. scale is one of our many drugs, man. personally i find it satisfying to organize my figures by a little label on my shelf with an approximate scale for each group. i've got 1/45 figures in a group 1/60 in another, and so on and so forth. may not work for you but my boat is above the water.

4. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    It's hard to be strict about scale, with most toy lines you'll have a really difficult time, especially with TF.

5. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Yes. Kitbash wise.

6. gettogaara

@GAUGE0001
    Obviously I don't mean EXACT scale lol. Basically I just want figures to represent their characters properly when it comes to size. Like the Rhydon figure I have is slightly bigger than Squirtle, Charmander and the others when really he's taller than 6 feet. It's when things aren't right like with a huge salamance and a small Charizard that disturb me.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Now we have to mix & match sublines to match that scale.

Like when you're playing with your deluxe formers, and Unicron steps in....time to switch over to the legends or WST's

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, Beast Wars were largely in scale, so if you're a fan of that stuff, you'll be in luck. Plus, since many of their alt modes were out of scale in the show (aka, the insects being as big as mammals), even the ones that aren't as close as we'd like can look fine.

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have a real thing for scale too.

One of the reasons I've never gotten fully into the 10cm superhero figures from Marvel Universe is they're not the same scale as Toybiz Marvel Legends. When they made them small I was sad.

I look at early Bishoujo and am pleased they fit nicely with those same Marvel Legends, so much so I can have Ryu Hayabusa having a grope off of Black Widows pert bottom. Now Bishoujos are bigger, and out of scale with him, so now Ryu Haybusa is sad.

The thing is, the first thing I do when I buy a bike former is work out relative scales so I can find action figures that can ride them, you have a motorbike thats what you do right? I even used to go out of my way to photoshop toys into relative scale with each other... for evidence of this, just look down a few inches...

So yes, I feel your pain. From a practical standpoint I totally understand that 100% scale compatibility will never ever happen, but even so, that small childlike part of me that is still fuelled by imagination quietly laments.

*weeps*

10. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Beast

As long as it doesnt get too crazy (like G1 Blaster and Metroplex being the same height) I'm ok with it

11. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I can never find toys of Pokemon I like, much less in scale. Stores around here only seem to carry "cute" Pokemon like the Starters and Pikachu -or- the overly-advertised boxcover Legendaries. Never any Honchkrows, Vespiquens, Beheeyems, or Garbodors...

12. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i wish pokemon would spread out their merchandise more. i think the only pokemon figure not overused was a ludicolo i saw a few years back. i wish i had bought it now.

13. gettogaara

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've got get all of the cool pokemon on ebay.
    I do see some pretty nice deluxe ones in target from time to time. They had this huge Giratina, that made noises. I was REALLY tempted to get it but it was like $30 or something and I can't bring myself to spend that much on a pokemon lol.

14. GAUGE

GAUGE Transformers Fan since 1985

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    All I want is a 1:1 scale Movie Mewtwo, and a 1:1 scale Renamon.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Well, it's not so much that the toys are in scale. The fiction on the early packaging makes it clear that they aren't, what with Rattrap passing for an actual rat in modern human cities and all. Mainframe "fixed" the scale of the toys retroactively when they made the show.

16. gettogaara

Okay, I think I've come up with a decent system as far as pokemon figures go. To get the best height representation I look up their height first and compare it with other pokemon.

Below 6 feet= Tomy
    Below 10 feet= Jakks
    Above 10 feet= Jakks Deluxe

I refuse to buy onix or steelix cause they'll be way to small. Putting my Gyrados up for sale in a lot soon since he's supposed to be above 20 feet and he's smaller than my pikachu lol.