"I'm not tech savvy"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaggersRage, Jun 21, 2007.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Well, I work at a call center where we deal with a certain subscription service. A lot of times I get customers calling us in, saying they entered their credit card now the service is charging them money for it (weird concept huh?). I explain that they've had a week long trial to cancel it before they're getting charged, they're calling two months after their 7 day trial ended, and the excuse I'm constantly given is "Well, I'm not tech savvy".

Is that really a legit excuse?

2. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't think picking up a telephone and saying "I would like to cancle my service" really has anything to do with being tech-savvy, but that's just my humble opinion.

3. DaggersRage

Er, you're correct on that one. I forgot to mention they want refunds and they accuse that the company has used their card without their permission.

4. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Just tell them "Reading the terms of use FTMFW!!"

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't know what service you specifically work for, but I've had experiences with things like 'credit protection' or 'special coupon subscription' services that are opt-out only, and tacked on to other purchases somewhat stealthily. It's not illegal or anything, but if that's what your company does (and it sounds like it), then your higher-ups shouldn't be surpised when there's a measure of backlash to their shady marketing techniques.

The "not tech-savvy" part probably comes from not being terribly familiar with the nature of e-commerce and the necessity to actually check, if not completely read, every line of text in an e-purchase.

If they haven't used your service at all, then there shouldn't be a problem with giving them a refund--and think about it, if those kind of calls constitute a substantial portion of your workload, then after a fashion, your job kind of owes its existence to them.

6. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    Wasn't ment as a snipe at you, more as a jib at how people as a whole never seace to suprise me with their level of ignorance.

Now if your company is signing up people in a "stealthy mannor" so that they are unsure of what they are getting or that they are even getting something, that kinda changes the prespective a little.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I want to offer a different viewpoint on this. It's worth thinking about.

Computers came into precedence internationally pretty damn quick compared to other technological innovations over the past few years. The associated technology that falls under the "computer" branch - spiffy cell phones, Mp3 players, etc. - all have different interfaces that, for each device AND for a receptive end user, will eventually make sense.

Problem is, competent and receptive end users are far and few between. Some of it is actually generational - for every e-mailing grannie out there, you'll find plenty of people in the 50-80 demographic who have just said, "Fuck this. These gadgets are beyond me." That's part of your "not-tech-savvy" crowd - they've just consciously decided that they've learned enough to make it in life and worrying themselves with any details about their phone, ipod, etc. is just not worth their time.

The other problem demographic is the "I'm too busy" crowd. These are the folks that rely on the "that's what tech support is for" crutch to get all their problems solved. "I'm not tech savvy" is their version of saying "I am employed, get paid a lot, and I will be paid more by working for my employer or getting work done than I will be sitting here getting Device X to work."

Put those together, and I would bet that that's about 80% or so of the tech support calls that call centers get.

8. DaggersRage

I don't know if it's really a stealthy manner but years before I worked at the call center, I was going to sign up for the same service, but when they started asking for a credit card I was like "wooooah, forget that!" and stopped signing up.

I was doing the same thing everyone else would when they're about to sign up, but I just stopped when it first started asking for credit info.