"I'm not seeing ROTF cuz it's racist" Are you freaking kidding me?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with it, I'm talking about the idiots who do. And Skids said that in the Official Novelization.

2. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

None of the transformers are actually any particular 'race'. They are emulating earth CULTURES and STEREOTYPES. While many Cultures and STEREOTYPES are divided along racial lines, they do not represent any particular race.

So if someone sees racism, they are putting their own perceptions of race upon the cultures the characters seem to be emulating.

I wasn't aware that "bust a cap in yo'h ass" was indicative of a particular race or a racial slur. It seems like Urban Slang to me which is made up more of people living in a geographical location opposed to being a particular race.

3. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Did you know Bay is also sexist?

After all, Arcee was dropped from movie #1, and a
    part of her dies in ROTF.

(Kidding.)

4. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    There's nothing that gets me madder than racism, but this doesn't count. Jazz is not racist. ZOMG Long Haul is stereotype of construction worker! ZOMG G1 Jazz is stereotypical Bill Cosby!

About the whole Seth Buzzard thing; The man talks in one monotone without any changes to signify he's joking. :p  You can't blame people for not knowing he's being sarcastic.

5. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    Some people are just too politically-correct and thin-skinned for their own good.

I for the life of me, can't understand how someone can be offended, just because a certain character on screen portrays stereotypical elements of a certain race/ethnicity.

But as a saying goes .. "Mind Over Matter".
    Those who mind usually don't matter, and those who matter usually don't mind.
    That is, people who are worth their salt won't be bothered by such little things, while those who make a fuss about it are usually worthless individuals who don't deserve the light of day.

6. DECEPTI CREEP

DECEPTI CREEP Active Member

^this

7. HIM666fan

HIM666fan DINOBOT

News Credits:
    People nowadays are offended by the oddest things ill admit i get offended when people call the twins the downs twins or bots why because i have a sis with it. if this is the case people offended beacause the character is hickish or gangsterish then damn dude why dont they all complain about every other movie thats out there.... im for F sake people need to grow some balls and STFU about shit lol

8. Breaking Dawn

Breaking Dawn Cujo's Lil Sis

This is freaking ridiculous!

Why would anyone think that Jazz's or Skid's personalities are trying to offend people?
    I think Bay has some sense to not hurt the feelings of anyone while making one of the biggest movies coming out this summer.
    It's like seriously!
    First of all, I think the way they talk is hilarious and it made their characters so much funnier than they would've been without the gangster talk. Second of all, Godziboy1993 is totally right....haters like to screw up anything they can, when they should just back off and leave the opinions to people who are actually going to watch the movie and being interested with it!

9. Cujo

Cujo United States Air Force

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    THIS! *runs into other room to high 5 her*

10. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

Ooooo, so thats what "rappers" are! I never knew!

srsly, your post is racist (maybe not, but commenting on peoples pride in heritage and their ability to produce thought sounds like you feel above others). And your pet peeve? Well, I hate to hear people hating (meaning you, and you havent seen it) on people cuz they hate a film. So STFU or GTFO!!!

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Lots of factors come together to make it all just a mess.

I don't think Bay is a racist, but he's one of those people who can never think of anything outside of his own view. So he's just rather oblivious to some people finding it a touchy topic with how say blacks are shown in the popular media.

Then you have people who are just looking for something racist in everything every where all of the time. If you listened to some of those people too long you'd think Hollywood was ran by the KKK or something. Most of the time these people miss the real racism because they were off chasing the shadow of racism somewhere else. Heck there a few on web that seem to think every movie ever made is somehow racist. Can't win with people like that so don't waste your time.

Then on the flip side you have the people that get upset about any charge of racism at all. If it's suggested that perhaps something crossed the line they get all upset because every charge of racism to them is just a witch hunt. Sorry but sometimes Hollywood still slips up and stereotypes really aren't needed since it's just lazy writing, directing, or acting to use them. But like the racist behind every camera people you can't win with the upset about the charge of racism people because they think every charge is false.

Me I think it's a good thing to keep the dialog open about how groups are shown in films. To work out where the line is really at and how Hollywood could do better. The actual answer is somewhere in the middle rather than either the extreme of everyone is a racist or no one ever does anything racist or offensive.

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

After reading the comments in this thread, I don't think it's out of line for me to say that some of you need to get out more.

13. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

As a black man I'm glad, that's one less person I have to move my ass for when they decide at the start of the movie "hey maybe I should go to the bathroom now that the movie's begun."

14. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Yeah, and that's pretty much it for Jazz. He gets killed off, and no one seems to mind except Prime (for all of 30 seconds), IMO.

As for racism in both Transformers movies...well, let me count what I found to be racist or offensive so far:

-Bobby Bolivia calling his mom "mammy".

And...um...crap, there's nothing else. That's pretty much the only thing I found offensive.

15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I miss Bernie Mac.

16. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Oh right! I forgot about some of the sexist jokes in the first movie! Thanks, Mechafire!

-Megan Fox's character being nothing but eye candy for the guys.
    -Arcee being dropped from the first movie like Mecharfire says.
    -Alice being nothing but eye candy for the guys in ROTF...until the guys find out she's a Pretender. But that's forgivable, I guess.

17. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

You're being sarcastic, correct?

I really don't understand why people are racist in general. Just because someone isn't white they're lower than you? Thats proof right there that they are the smarter ones. A wise friend of mine once said

"Do not discriminate by race, age, or sexuality, discriminate by intelligence"

how can't even count all the times my thoughts and opinions are left out because I'm god damn 16 years old. It makes me fighting mad.

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

You're still discriminating, which last I checked, is a bad thing regardless.

19. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

They were actually going to make it more emotional, but they were running out of time I guess.

I honestly didn't find anything offensive. I thought Bobby Bolivia was hilarious, and I loved Jazz's character.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    man, people sure like to accuse shit of being racist, don't they?

there's only one race of robots in the movie. there are no asian robots. there are no black robots (aside from ironhide, but thats paint, not race). even the autobots and decepticons are the same race in this series.

can always count on the movie forum for your daily dose of ******ed posts.

NOT. FUCKING. RACIST. that line was IMPROVISED, like all of Bobby Bolivia's dialogue. are you actually proposing that Bernie Mac was racist against his own race?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.