I'm not racist, but...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spartan Prime, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

I couldn't help but find this hilarious. My best friend and best man at my wedding was black, so it has nothing to do with me hating on anyone's race or stereotypes, but when this kind of thing happens...

So I'm in Japan right? My friends and I are on the base here, we head to the McDonald's to get some dinner. It's all Japanese locals working the joint, and for the most part they all understand english and speak it well enough to get by, but the girl at the register was obviously new, screwed up two of our orders, but no harm done.

Here's the thing, I get my order, it's incorrect, so I look at my receipt to see where it all went askew. This is what I find...

[​IMG]

A "firet of fish"? Who wouldn't at least utter a titter? Sorry, i just thought this was funny. What was worse, is that my friend tries to explain where the order went wrong, and let slip "firet of fish" instead of "filet" by accident. =/

2. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's worth a chuckle, I thought that their registers were supposed to be automatic, and not have typos

3. Nagaoka

Nagaoka Well-Known Member

Heh, heh. I hate to say it but you probably drew way more attention to yourself than you wanted by bringing up racial issues. The Japanese do screw up their Ls and Rs a lot in english. It's not really a racist thing unless you're bring up that fact in an offensive way, which you aren't doing. Also you probably don't want to use "my best man/friend is black" as evidence that you aren't racist....especially against Japanese people. I'd edit the post a bit, but that's just me : P

Aaaaaaaaanyways, hilarious that that typo would only exist with the meal, but not with the individual sandwich listing. Someone was sleepy when they made that program.

4. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

did you know that the japanese version of ronald mcdonald is named donald mcdonald, just so that they can avoid using L and R in the same name? you wouldn't want someone saying lonard mcdonard by accident.

i know a few japanese people, they're pretty cool about the L/R thing. they know it's funny.

5. JetsAndHeels

JetsAndHeels Banned

Cue up the singing Billy Bass...

"give me back that firet of fish...

give me that fish"

6. Spartan Prime

I brought up racial issues? I thought I was trying to dispel the possibility of people thinking I was making a joke at Asian people's expense, which I am not. As for my best man's mention, it's an inclusion to the allusion that I personally have no beef with any ethnicity, creed, or etc.. I see no reason to edit it, but thanks. :) 

True story. My coworker (and resident laughriot) constantly looks up words in his Japanese/English dictionary to use around the gaijin-folk to get a raise out of them.

Also, I didn't know this until a few months ago, but the Colonel from KFC was redesigned over here in Japan to have a more asian look to him, down to the thinner eye profile and all. It's not really noticeable unless you're looking, but an interesting trivia tidbit.

7. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    "I'm not racist, but..."

Assuring your racistness before anyone even reads the topic

8. Spartan Prime

Or not. I actually get offended by people thinking I'm racist. Which is kind of ironic, really.

9. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Hirarious.

10. Nagaoka

Nagaoka Well-Known Member

That's what I mean. You say "I'm not racist but..." so people assume what you're saying is gonna have a angle that can be viewed as racist when it's actually harlmess. Your proof against it also makes you look a great deal worse in that regard O_O. I won't dare elaborate in a thread though. If you wanna know I guess you can PM me or something but whatever. In any case having a black friend has nothing to do with being racist against Japanese people. You aren't. I believe you. It's just your post doesn't give off the impression you want it to give XD.

Not really...if people accuse you it's an insult. You should be offended. What mushroomprime said is pretty much what I'm talking about though. Your thread title and intro has the opposite effect of what you wanted.

edit:
    I'm not sure what you mean. You're in Japan right? On a base? He's looking up japanese words in the dictionary to use around non-japanese people in japan?

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I propose that we turn this into another Engrish thread.

12. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Have my children, please.

13. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

[​IMG]

Moderately amusing, I guess. Not sure I'd have started a thread about it. And I really wouldn't have made people think I was racist by opening with "I'm not racist, but..."

14. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

Usually ANY sentence starting with "I'm not racist,but..." will be extremely offensive,but it's extra likely when you mention,"I have a black friend!"
    Luckily,this time it wasn't racist,just boring.

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Exactrey

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

amusing typo, but the title will still make people wonder. I know sp's not racist, he's a cool guy, so be easy on him.

Kind of like if you walk up to a stranger and yell "rapist", but you never seen him before, it's going to stick in the back of some people's mind that he's really a rapist, or they'll always wonder about it.

17. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I had to teach one of my Japanese friends to say "alumni" before we graduated college. That was a fun hour or so.

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oh lawd, this made me genuinely lol. Subtle, contextual, ironic...I give this joke a solid 9.

I am fortunate to wake up every day in a world where you are not an arbiter of anything related to humor.

19. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I'm British. We don't do humor.

20. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

But you do go "boing, boing" when you take a step right?