I'm not enjoying the create a character feature.

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Shizuka, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    I'm sorry but I really don't want to Get Optimus, paint him white then send him out; I want to REALLY create a character. In the WWE games you get to create a character from the base you can even chose the spacing of the eyes, the size of the chin. You can give the person massive hands if you wanted to.

To me these characters are just the main characters. And being limited to the weapons you can choose for each class kinda bugs me. I hate trying to level up and always get killed because my class doesn't have the scrapmaker.

Is anyone else not really enjoying the creation feature that much? I mean I think it's good for a start but more can be done for it.

2. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    its all about balance. every class needs it's strengths and weaknesses. The scrapmaker just so happens to be one of the soldiers strengths.

As for the repainting characters, other than some more color options and maybe a head swap feature, it would be to hard to make customization go any further. remember they need to transform and all the parts need to fit in both modes and the transformation animation has to make some sort of sense. While it would be cool to build a bot from scratch, i'm perfectly happy with repainting the familiar characters.

3. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Keep in mind that these models don't actually transform. It's pretty clear they explode a little bit but its obvious that they use two different models for bot n vehicle. So in all honesty that argument is kinda moot. But still, to have character creation on that kind of a level woulda taken a lot more time and resources to make happen.

Head swaps? Not so much. But still

4. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    The only thing I'm miffed about is I feel that the weapon selection for customizing should open up a little more, and I really hate Soundwave as the only leader chassis.

5. RipCurl

RipCurl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have you seen breakdowns transformation ?

6. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    That's what I was thinking. There are are so many gaps that I wonder how he even stays together.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

They don't Transform, bro's. That shit just aint even remotely practical.

Smoke and mirrors, baby.

8. RipCurl

RipCurl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some transform , Prime , Bumblebee to name a few but breakdown was like wtf .He kinda does a back flips into a car , i think the got bored of working on his transformation

9. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

Yes they do!!! *fingers in ears* LALALALALALA!!!

10. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Heh, you try creating a 3D model of a TF and make it fully transformable. Not easy.

Not surprised that a few of the models have cheats in the transformation. Just about every TF game's done it.

As for customization I'm fine with it. Wasn't expecting too much so nothing really disappointed me other then no universal color pallet. I luvs my white Slipstream, blue Sideswipe, red and yellow Arcee, etc.

11. Skyjack

Skyjack Well-Known Member

I have actually and it is time consuming for one person to do by themselves.. But that technique is so Quake 3 it isn't even funny.

12. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Nope, I think its fine. Playing dressup a Transformer is less important than good gameplay to me. Now if they don't expand on customization in sequels, it'd be disappointing.

13. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    i know the transformations aren't perfect, but they do have to make some sort of sense. I honestly never noticed breakdown being any better or worse than any other model (although i'm not disputing it) I just think it's asking too much for devs to make fully customizable transformers because there are 3 factors in play (robot, vehicle and transformation) compared to one skin on a create a fighter in WWE

14. AutobotMaximal

AutobotMaximal Covert Collector

I'm cool with it. I expected a little more customization available, but now that it's here, I'm not complaining.

15. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I kinda want something like Team Fortress 2 you can add little bits but nothing really changes so you can still recognise the class at a glance.

I'd be happy with say just heads As many of the characters like Prime and megs cant really pass for anything else

16. Cycrolus

Cycrolus Herald of Primus

Ebay:
    I don't like the color options. The cons have bad color choices. You can't even make a soundwave clone.

17. Skyjack

Skyjack Well-Known Member

I feel like a turd because I what I said about the Quake 3 thing. It's just how we planned to make a BeastWars Quake 3 conversion back in the day. Swapping and exploding models that is...

18. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Custom characters are always a way to make me instantly like a game. If I can make my own character then it becomes my story. I don't play an all red Sideswipe. I play Burnout, who in this version has the same mold as Sideswipe. Luckily Transformers already has this precedent so it doesn't stretch my immersion too much.

But Optimus and Megatron need to be unique. I will never really be able to see them as anything but them regardless of color.

Also since the transformations are merely model swaps then we should in theory be able to have more customization options. I would expect the ability to choose shoulder pieces or chest pieces. Take Soundwave for example. In my thought experiment you can change his chest piece to look something like Ironhide's or Primes. That chest piece would always be the windshield of the car but you could choose it.

But just because something can be done doesn't mean it's feasible. I wouldn't expect this for the current game but for the sequel I hope they devote the large amount of time and resources this would require to making this feature a reality.

19. The Constructicon

The Constructicon Yeah, I turn into a leg.

Well you can't have a scout starting with a scrapmaker, the weapons are like that because they tried to balance the classes.

20. Chevluh

Chevluh Well-Known Member

Not "a few", mind you, it's systematic, all the robots featured in-game use separate models for vehicle and robot and "cheat" for the transformation by essentially "exploding" one while "de-exploding" the other. But it's indeed the simplest way to handle it.

Well, for example many of the robots have twice the number of wheels during the transformations, and breakdown's remembered by many because he has parts obviously just floating around.

And thus it's not asking too much because the models don't really match anyway. It's in fact already what they do with the arms unfolding into weapons, with transformations that obviously don't make sense but still look cool (contrary to the wii version where the arm cannons actually are correct to some extent). Customization could easily use the same scheme, with "accessories" simply retracting during the transformation.