I'm no scientist/physicist but wouldn't Cybertron's presence near Earth

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by mirage4lifeyo, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Still sounds like a very bad excuse. Unless Sentinel can somehow nullify the gravitational pull of Cybetron and fix the orbital speed of Cybertron to exactly match that of the Earth around the Sun then Sentinel doesn't have anything but a disaster waiting to happen as Cyberton and the Earth crash into each other, or the Earth becomes a moon of Cybertron at best.

For Earth to be a moon of Cybertron would require Cybertron to be a pretty massive planet.

2. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I as well. Even a non-explanation explanation would suffice, even though others would still want it fully explained in teh science and stuffs.

"Sentinel needs Earth's resources. You think he'd risk ripping the planet apart by a little thing like gravity? He's got it figured out."

3. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Me personally, I think the pillars can do exactly that. Some kind of artificial phasing field, perhaps, to 'suspend' Cybertron and nullify its effects upon its new neighbour, with the pillars forming a secure 'bubble', while the control pillar links them to the Earth.

I dunno, I sucked so bad at physics I'm probably spouting out rubbish. I'm just taking faith in the fire-truck's toy :D 

4. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Actually the mass of threads started to discuss the proximity of a partial Cybertron in relation to Earth has actually added enough to our gravity that it would be able to counteract the extra pull from the partial Cybertron, so it all works out fine. Any more threads will cause a massive imbalance and doom us all.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    No they won't, because nothing anyone has said has any weight.

6. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    You've got a good idea. Personally, I like to entertain that in most continuities, Cybertron is much smaller than earth, like the size of Mars. Compound that with it being porous and partially hollow, and we're talking about smaller gravitational forces. However, I still don't believe it.

Not to mention that with how you could see Cybertron in the atmosphere, you'd risk atmospheric explosion before planet destruction.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think at one point there was some speculation about the Decepticons taking over Mars and just using it to rebuild their lost civilization. The Mars rover trailer seems to have spawned the idea.

When you think about it converting Mars seems like a fairly good idea. It might not be an ideal place for humans but for the bots it might be okay and it has resources. For a race of robots that can travel from star to star a trip between Earth and Mars would be nothing at all. Instead of transporting the entire planet the Decepticons could have just transported what they needed to Mars to start building their new base of operations.

8. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

They could have, actually. Saved themselves a whole lot of trouble (and dead 'Cons) too.

Good idea, Ash!

9. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Ba-Zing!!!
    That was nice :D 

10. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Fun fact: The Internet has weight. The total electrons in it constitute physical weight, around .00002 grams. That's around the weight of a grain of sand.

11. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Gosh, I never knew that.

The whole Internet weighs the same as a bit of sand. There's a surreal charm to that, definitely.

12. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    IT's....................A........................MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not real and doesn't follow the laws of science!!

13. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

In all honesty, I really can't argue with physics being defied when movies like BACK TO THE FUTURE exist. I dare not question the concept of a time traveling DeLorean, not because of how awesome it is, but the fact that it does something that is ultimately physically impossible - and it was invented by a human.

As I said, Sentinel was pointing out the gap between what we've come to know about physics compared to their understanding of it. It's common knowledge that our concept of physics shows that teleportation isn't possible. But Sentinel invented a device that could. Therefore, it defies our laws - our understandings - of physics. His line made sense to me.

Sentinel invented a technological system that can teleport a planet - I think having that kinda knowledge implies that Sentinel knows something about the gravitational forces that would form between the two planets.

Plus, the concept of a teleporter has already crossed a line. The gravity regulation (as well as the Pillars floating) function I mentioned doesn't really surprise me. I'm not saying teleportation is possible in real life, but in a work of fiction, if you cross a line of impossibility, you cross the line, so there's no reason to doubt that Sentinel had indeed figured all of this out.

14. Inner-Demon

Inner-Demon Instrument Of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Handle):
    The Ultimate Doom, an 80's animated television series, managed to get the science behind this plot RIGHT, while a 2011 feature film, made with millions of dollars, couldn't possibly do the research to properly showcase what would occur in such an event. Just to say, it's one of the many reasons I do not own these films.

It's inexcusable.

15. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    So I saw THOR. Its space bridge was definitely better, considering it actually showed its effects on the world it was focused on. It appears the TF filmmakers might have removed this element to focus on the Chicago fight, as well as to possibly avoid comparisons to THOR. But we'll never really know the truth for sure...

16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeesh, for a bunch of people who worship giant transforming alien robot lifeforms, we're all a terrible lot at suspending disbelief, it seems.

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It's a movie about a ****** who comes across a bunch of giant transforming robots from outerspace....physics and logic were thrown out on day one.

18. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
    Thor didn"t have a Space bridge, it had a Bifrost, and both films were released about 2 months apart from each other, neither could know what the other did during production. Unless one of the crew of either movies is a time traveller.

19. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

It doesnt really matter actually. However, Sentinel stated that the space bridge defies our laws of physics, so its possibly that through the space bridge, cybertron existed in its own little bubble at that time, which is also the reason that when the pillar got destroyed, cybertron got toasted, too.

Seriously, it doesnt make sense to argue stuff like "The gravitational blabliblubalabli should have done.... " when a teleportation device is in use that defies our laws of physics.

HOWEVER, with that said, you might also get the feeling that this movie was holding back something from us, maybe in a deleted scene. I could easily see it as beeing a cut plot point, seeing as how they were so eagerly trying to break the pillar down as soon as possible... however, that might also be because a fucking planet got warped into orbit.

20. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    We're talking about a movie....with transforming robots....and we're debating logic and physics?