I'm no scientist/physicist but wouldn't Cybertron's presence near Earth

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by mirage4lifeyo, Jul 5, 2012.

1. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

even as a sliver of it coming through the portal in DOTM, have, say, I don't know, completey and totally f***ed up the gravitational balance between the Earth, the moon, other planets in solar system and the sun? I mean OK so ocean tides are created because the moon and earth are attracted to each other...with that alone as a reality, umm, wouldn't the mere act of pulling an obsensibly gargantuan planet at least the size of ours and probably bigger into our atmosphere have sent all the seas careening upwards and all other sorts of random, gravitational pull induced disasters (like what was portayed in The Ultimate Doom cartoon as a matter of fact)? Things that would have pretty much ruined the entire planet and killed most of the would-be slave labor human population...and things that would have Sentinel shrugging and going "whoopsie, my bad...umm, Plan B anyone?"

To say nothing of what impact you'd have on the solar system as a whole by injecting the mass of a whole new planet into it...

In other words, I guess what I'm saying is that a children's cartoon, "The Ultimate Doom", was probably more scientifically accurate and plausible as to what sort of disastrous impact Sentinels scheme would have had on Earth than what was seen in a supposedly more adult oriented and realistic live-action movie.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yes. Yes it would. Similarly, an event that literally tore an entire planet apart and shredded it into pieces would probably have an effect on earth.

3. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    this have been discussed Many times

4. Heavynova

Heavynova Oh, the nostalgia...

Ya know, I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw DOTM.
    I think I actually SAID "bullshit" out loud in the theater when it started to show up in the atmosphere of the Earth.

5. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Yes, it would.

Now, I got the feeling that it wasn't really "here" yet, hence why destroying the pillars sent it back. It was basically beginning to appear as something of a shadow before it really arrived with form (and more importantly, mass).

6. mirage4lifeyo

Yeah, I guess the one potential saving grace for the whole film in that regard is that Sentinel tells us flatly that the Space Bridge "defies your laws of physics." Turns out that was a massive understatement, but its also a broad enough statement that I guess you could just go with it and say whatever to the questions I pose above.

7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The funny thing is that the OP is right: these effects were seen in G1 but not in the more realistic TFilms.

To be fair, Sentinel said the pillars were of his own design and able to defy physics (as the "Einstein" of his generation he probably could come up with alien tech that could preserve things even with sh*t happening all over), and the filmmakers probably didn't want to show this happening to Earth feeling (perhaps rightly) it was too much in an alien war film.

A pity. It looked a lot like Unicron was closing in on the blue marble as his next meal, it was a magnificent sight.

8. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    To be fair, space bridge technology defies our laws of physics and whatnot. Plus, it'd be a very boring movie if the Earth and everyone suddenly exploded.

Not to mention the Moon does NOT rotate -nor- can you hear anything in space like the movie (most sci-fi works, really) implies.

9. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I have five words to reply on how Cybertron's arrival/destruction did not render Earth a piece of mutilated crap.

Sentinel is a freaking genius.

10. mirage4lifeyo

Yup. I guess to me just taking that extra step of at least trying to throw some science or things we think we know into it would have been a nice touch, like the Avengers movie did. The fact is the whole dark matter/dark energy concepts that our scientists are exploring right now provide a whole lot of fun creative leeway that movies like this could use, as we literally have no idea whatsoever what things like dark matter/dark energy ARE exactly yet other than just that they are there. But just make some sort of quick move in the script to help us buy in so that folks like Heavynova above aren't saying "bullsh**!" when they view it and so that people aren't instinctively thinking a children's cartoon was probably more scientifically accurate.

11. mirage4lifeyo

That or it could have been the greatest Baysplosion ever. I can kinda picture how that would go..

(Random script consultant): "Umm, hey Michael, we were talking to the writers and we wanted to let you know that actually this plot concept you are showing at the films end would probably just blow up the whole planet."

Bay (after long pause): "COOL! Boom! Kapow! Earth Baysplosion!!!"

Have Sam and Carly and the Autobots hop inside a commandeered Decep ship and the two humans go off and repopulate some other world, Adam and Eve style, creating a race of beings who wear sexy lingerie and heels at all times while shouting "no! No! NO!!!" at the top of their lungs. The End. :) 

12. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

I say since the planet didn't completely arrive yet it wasn't "solid" yet and was still teleporting.

13. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

"It defies you laws of travel through time and space" works well enough for me, really, he could have said some "IT IS FUELED BY DARK MATTER" shit, but to be honest, that's just as cheap. It's like in the old days where the explanation for every single sci-fi thing was a lightning bolt [including bringing life to a corpse, yes, I'm looking at you Mary Shelley], then it was radioactivity [Hulk, Spider-Man being prominent examples], now it's Dark Matter, Nanotechnology and Bioengeneering depending on the field [want explanation for time travel/dimension travel? DARK MATTER. Robotics? NANOTECHNOLOGY. Mutation? BIOENGENEERING].

So I don't really see much of a difference here, Sentinel's vague statement works just as fine.

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    That seems like a bit of a cop-out, given how it was able to selectively suck up all cybertronian ships and such in a massive deus ex machina when it went down.

15. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I was just wondering how the fuck it moved through the portal.

16. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

It appears someone has been watching G1's "Ultimate Doom" episodes :p 

17. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Wait, set me straight here; are you saying Cybertron itself selectively sucked up the ships?

Because I'm fairly certain the bright blue beams of energy that hit the ships are the effects of the pillars.

18. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    Space Bridge Tech... That's all you need to know.

19. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

Maybe Cybertron doesn't have gravity. Maybe Transformers magnetize their feet to the surface.

20. mirage4lifeyo

There are plenty of life lessons to be had from it. Like did you know you can stop a gigantic ocean tidal wave by having a metal dinosaur throw a bunch of logs into a ditch? Who knew. :)